Deus Ex Reborn (a big surprise!)

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

that guy
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by that guy »

HDTP is redoing all the texture packages for the maps I believe.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

that guy wrote:HDTP is redoing all the texture packages for the maps I believe.
I thought so too, if not, at least I'll kill Gunther in hi-res :D
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Actually, they're not, although the idea has been thrown around for doing it later. Mainly because there are many, many, many level textures.
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Nope, that would be a MASSIVE job. I would like it to happen though.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

There are a lot of textures, but if HDTP doesn't dissolve after phase 4 (with vehicles and characters), it's the natural progression to work on the level textures. So far HDTP has been working on the things in Deus Ex that date it horribly to the first UT, and many of the models looked like they could have come out of much earlier games (probably since there were so many items to create and have in-game). Making DX look less ancient/goofy was the goal I'd suppose, and world textures are more about making it look appealing/beautiful/detailed.

Hopefully it could happen, but I'm sure it's a lot more work than one would want to tack on at the moment. Maybe at the end they'd take a quick look through them and replace the worst offenders (the small textures with the least detail) or improve the most used textures (if there's a way of knowing that). I just hope they fix the sky textures- there couldn't be many as there's only so many levels, and if those screenshots are accurate then the sky always looked bad. Maybe DX:R will make it easier somehow, I know at least that it shouldn't have the texture limitations the DX engine has.

btw, checked google images for screenshots with the sky in them, HDTP's Gunther image is the fourth result for "Deus Ex". The link breaks (redirects, people), but the image still is available. This is before any Invisible War images. I'd guess that people have linked it enough to bring it that high into the pagerank (imagerank?). HDTP isn't on the google results for "deus ex" for at least a couple pages....but apparently there's a Deus Ex movie coming out, and Loki Games is making a port for our Linux v.2.2x friends ;) (the movie was a rumour, Loki went bankrupt before releasing the port).
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

The movie wasn't a rumour. It was officially announced but was cancelled.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

And Loki Games is bankrupt last I heard ...
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

justanotherfan wrote:(the movie was a rumour, Loki went bankrupt before releasing the port).
EER wrote:And Loki Games is bankrupt last I heard ...
Anyway, I just found it amusing that a search for "Deus Ex" came up with such outdated information, about the linux beta for kernel 2.2 etc. I didn't know the movie was more than a rumour, but it's pretty dead now. IMDB says it's set to be released this year, ISTR it was delayed to 2006 at some point.

To make our Linux friends happier, DX:R currently runs on Linux, and should run on Linux in it's final release. Yes, this means UT2004 engine Deus Ex on Linux. If you've never heard of Linux, www.ubuntu.com .
deuxhero
UNATCO

Post by deuxhero »

I just want to ask

In DX:RB will you be able to remap the aug keys in the menu (as opposed to editing your config with a text prog) also would it be posible to impelment say manual control of turrets in a mod with master hacking/password
Andrievskaya Veronika
UNATCO

Re: Deus Ex Reborn (a big surprise!)

Post by Andrievskaya Veronika »

If someone wants to help us to finish this project, PM me.

We are already have all maps converted into UT2004 format (with lighting, texturing, and all objects and pickups), some sort of working HUD, few weapons, working object highlight (exactly as in original DX) and frob, multitools, lockpicks and partially keyring. Fully working DeusExMover, and i ported CaroneElevator to work with UT2004 (movers in UT2004 can have up to 24 keyframes!).

Here is one of early builds (basically only maps), you can install it over UT2004 (replacing files) and see what there:
https://yadi.sk/d/Z_uXGbnQ3KCkjP
You also need textures and sounds from your DeusEx, they are not included.

Here is my youtube channel, where you're can see what is already done.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DxDelta2
Blade sword
NSF

Post by Blade sword »

All I can say is probably that for the textures and sounds using something like Wotgreal can help
However there is probably other ways to get those as well.
As for items if I was going to help it would be an item / weapon pack that is somewhat HD
I'm not much available for that at the moment, but I might give a go for it as I have a plan for an HD remake of those anyways...
Andrievskaya Veronika
UNATCO

Post by Andrievskaya Veronika »

Preview Alpha version is available for download. Join our Discord server for download and support (if required)
https://discord.gg/yTfp9kb