Is it okay to kill Bob Page before he is in Area 51?

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Zandor
Thug

Is it okay to kill Bob Page before he is in Area 51?

Post by Zandor »

I didn't ask wheter it's possible because I know it is. The "bullet proof" windows in Deus EX have a major flaw in that, while they are absolutely indestructible and will stop even LAW rockets, they do not fit their slots perfectly, so the bullets can fly just through the gap and injure or kill whatever lies beyond them. And that's how it's possible to kill Page in the very first time he appears in the game!

That's how you do it:

0- I didn't use any cheats so I don't think you would need them either.

1- Pick an accurate gun, you can use a sniper rifle but I think even a sawed off shotgun will do it.

2- Aim more or less where the glass meets the wall. If you are aiming right the crosshair will turn green, red or whatever:

Notice how it appears that Page is not where he is supposed to be? Well, he is.

3- Shoot!

4- Repeat the step 3 until the target dies. That's right, kill them until they die from it:

5- Then tell their families to sue the indestructible glass company:

As you can see above, Bob Page is exactly where he should only he wasn't breathing very well so he decided to lie down forever.

BY THE WAY if you free that greasel in Versalife it won't attack you, he will be your ally instead! I asked my parents if she would allow me to keep the gresel as a pet but they didn't :( Anyway I named my greasel Meconium. He is so powerful he even knocked out and then ate some of those MIB guards. (I'm not making this up. I had left the poor greasel to die before he killed almost everyone there, then I decided he should be MY greasel).

Say hello to my little friend! You can see that the crosshair is not red, therefore we are friends 4eva.

I've seen some idiot say in a Deus EX 2 walkthrough that if you free that greasel in the cage next to the gray's cage in Antartica it will attack you. BULLFECES! It will be your ally too. Just try to do it and you'll see that it's true. As for Meconium, he is the tamest, cutest and most lovely greasel I've ever seen! Too bad he is so low poly... He is very hungry too, he will eat ANYONE I give him to eat! Well, he will eat almost anything, as long as it is dead or unconcious. I didn't find any other greasels in VL so I cannot tell whether Meconium is a cannibal like every other greasel.

ImageImage
Want fries with that?

Today's lesson is that not every greasel is a monster. They are just like crippled parrots, the will only try to kill you if they don't like you.

I couldn't finnish this game because Deus EX crashed when I was flickering as fast as possible that ramp next to that super freighter and now I can't load the save game anymore, but Maggie Chan wasn't in the Universal Constructor chamber when I went to it. I belive that it's because the indestructible glass allowed me to kill her while I had the chance.

But what about Page? Did the game developers ever consider the possibility of the players killing him while he is not being augmented? Would the game skip the Area 51 part entirely or was that just a double or a twin brother? What is the government hiding from us this time?
Fred
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Fred »

The same happend to me and I was able to kill bob page at the same place. I couldn't finish the game in Vadenberg.
I thougt I saw somebody. Maybe just a homeless guy.
Darkshade
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Darkshade »

Dun dun dunnnn....

The everlasting soul of Warren Spector haunts Eidos once again!
"Metaphore" is a bloody metaphore.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Heheh.

Interestingly, the game has been programmed to automatically remove any important characters who are killed in previous levels. So yes, you will have problems later on when Bob Page's death will cause him not to show up to taunt you in various holocom projectors throughout the later levels.

Well spotted though. I know why they didn't make the glass join the sides of the opening, it's because it would've fucked up the zoning of the map. They should've probably seen this coming, though :)

They could've at least made him invincible.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
warman
UNATCO

Post by warman »

Did you know that if you shoot the hologram of Bog Bad Bob in Vandenberg, it eventually gets up off the podium and runs round?

Same with Walton Simons in Manderley's office.
Darkshade
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Darkshade »

That's hott! I'm going to have to try that.
"Metaphore" is a bloody metaphore.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

Fun stuff, I'm gonna do that right now.
Fred
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Fred »

The hologram of Bob Page in Vandenberg was the part, where I coudn't continiue the game, because after I shot Bob Page on the same place Zandor did, he was not came in Vadenberg as an hologram anymore. :lol:
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

I wish you could just frag everyone in the game that way :D
Fred
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Fred »

I belive, I have shot Manderley in the training mission, thats was possible because manderly is not immortal in this mission and I have to use cheats to get to him. After I shot him and came to the UNATCO HQ the first time, Manderley was not there and so, I was not able to continue the game. :lol:
fub
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by fub »

as i understand it, the version of bob page you see in area 51 is a different actor entirely (AugmentedBobPage?)

unless deus ex is really smart, i don't think you'd have problems with him in area 51.

hologram transmissions with him would weird out, though
Zandor
Thug

Post by Zandor »

Wow, good thing I lost my savegame before Vandenberger.
warman
UNATCO

Post by warman »

You could have stopped this by editing flags in the "legend" menu.
ZylonBane
UNATCO

Post by ZylonBane »

Jonas wrote:Interestingly, the game has been programmed to automatically remove any important characters who are killed in previous levels.
As I understand it, it's ALL characters. So if you, for example, flag the archetype NSF soldier as dead, you won't see any more NSF in the entire game.
ZylonBane's opinions do not represent those of the management.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

That could be pretty interesting :P