Checked out the warehouse

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

justanotherfan
Illuminati

Checked out the warehouse

Post by justanotherfan »

Short question - how do I use the invoke conversation dialog in Legend?

On the Hell's Kitchen / NSF Warehouse Distress Signal mission, I got a funny response. I went to the warehouse, did stuff, and came back to the 'Ton. When I taled to Paul, a new conversation started. "I checked out the warehouse, but I'm not going to be a terrorist" and Paul responded "I wish there was some way to convince you". Of course I'm still stuck with the mission to send the signal, but it was an interesting conversation, the last relevant and possible one before JC's alliances forcibly change (I'm excepting Smuggler).

How do I get that conversation again? I'm not sure what flags I triggered when I went to the NSF Warehouse, and I've managed to forget how to use the Invoke Conversation dialog in the Legend.
James T
UNATCO

Post by James T »

I think if you get the logins, and then come back to talk to Paul, it sets that one off (I did it once when I forgot to do the actual 'aligning the dishes and sending the message' bit, heh). You might not need to actually go so far as to get the logins, but I forget exactly what it takes.
"If all Americans want is security, they can go to prison." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Thanks, that triggered it.

Strange trigger, knowing the login, as if the "evidence" would persuade anyone. Great evidence, "Hey, I tracked them doing teh illegal stuff". The trigger ends if you go look at the evidence in the basement. If you want the dialog, talk to Paul twice in the Ton first, so he won't repeat it later.

I like that "I guess this is where we go our separate ways". I'm just screwing around in DX now, but I'd like to see a mod (for DXR?) where the subway opens at that point. It would be pretty easy to hack in something like that. Then JC would have to fight Paul, and he can die then. The killswitch can always force the Hong Kong plot for JC. Repair the plot, and make for some more choice.
Last edited by justanotherfan on Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Main problem with that is faking the voices for the new lines of dialogue / infolinks.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
JC_Helios
X-51

Post by JC_Helios »

justanotherfan wrote:Thanks, that triggered it.

Strange trigger, knowing the login, as if the "evidence" would persuade anyone. Great evidence, "Hey, I tracked them doing teh illegal stuff". The trigger ends if you go look at the evidence in the basement.

I like that "I guess this is where we go our separate ways". I'm just screwing around in DX now, but I'd like to see a mod (for DXR?) where the subway opens at that point. It would be pretty easy to hack in something like that. Then JC would have to fight Paul, and he can die then. The killswitch can always force the Hong Kong plot for JC. Repair the plot, and make for some more choice.
What I always found funny was one of the UNATCO Trooper lines for that map, something like:

" I don't know what the terrorist expected to find, a 10,000 credit toilet seat?"
And that just happens to be the same amount as the bribes.

Also UNATCO Born is a mod that's supposed to make it as if you could stay with UNATCO, though it's been pretty quiet recently.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Oops, OTP was slow today so I've edited my post slightly after it was quoted. Anyway, the voices are hard to fake, but Paul's is still there. He could just be set as hostile in Liberty Island. A faked trooper's voice could easily say "Paul is coming to get you" after getting back to UNATCO (full liberty island map). Maybe there's a dialog that says "Your killswitch has been activated" that could be played, I dunno.

Or he could just be shipped off to FEMA with all new characters ;-)

Trying to play through to see what is possible after that dialog, but I keep screwing it up
James T
UNATCO

Post by James T »

Basically, all you can do after that little extra dialogue is go back and send the message. It would appear they intended to create a diverging plotline at that point, but didn't have the time/inclination.
"If all Americans want is security, they can go to prison." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Or they just thought "hey, wouldn't it be cool if the player can actually return to Paul after only doing SOME of the mission and then get a response to that?"

I've done that a lot in TNM.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Yeah, I wish the triggers/flags on it weren't so fiddly, its a great conversation for Deus Ex. I've seen it twice now, but had a hard time getting it to work a few other times.

I wonder what JC would do after not going through with that NSF mission. He might be sent to Hong Kong to eliminate Tracer Tong according to plan, or his killswitch could be turned on for going to see Paul. I should check out UNATCO Born.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

If I remember right, if you side fully to Unatco (aka, shoot everyone and follow mission objectives correctly) eventualy JC cracks out "you've helped the terrorists long enough, I'm turning you in" or something and then paul says "just check out the warehouse, you'll see what i'm talking about" - After that he stops talking normally and turns into a far left whiner :D.

After that unfortunately things start to get a bit too linear. :(
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

lol, I'm going to get that dialog tonight then.

I love playing DX as "the jackass" killing everyone in the entire game, or playing as NSF from the beginning, or just doing it how I would react in that world. One gets a lot of interesting conversations. "The Rentons, they got early retirement." paraphrase of Jo Jo Fine.
James T
UNATCO

Post by James T »

JAF: Does Jojo show up again if you don't stick around to help/watch the scuffle in the hotel office?

Cybe: Is that apart from JC's "I waxed your boss" remark if you shoot/incapacitate Lebedev?
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Augh, I played through to lebedev, lit him on fire with the flame thrower. Anna pops in out of nowhere, tells me to finish the job. Lebedev is charred and dead on the floor and she gets credit for killing him. Thats ok though, one of the terrorists accidentally blew up the subway station, so it wasn't a perfect run through.

I'm not sure if Jojo comes back in the game. Since the player doesn't go back to Hell's Kitchen, I'd assume he's fine. Oddly enough, he's a friendly, since he's NSF. I got that one message by killing both Rentons before they said anything.
James T
UNATCO

Post by James T »

Yeah, you still get it if he kills both of them himself (provided you don't step in and turn him hostile against you, of course.)

Do you get Alex's "You can't just go in shooting everyone!" message if the NSF are the ones who set off the explosion?
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Heh, yeah, I got that message. I also just left after the explosion, and the game thought I left a "hostage situation in progress" I guess. An NSF guy must have survived or something. I was just pissed off because the AI aim had them shooting a TNT box-- it wasn't the laser tripwire that caused it.