What are you playing?

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Morpheus
X-51

Re: What are you playing?

Post by Morpheus »

As I don't really play many games, went back and looked at older games that I did play (used to play lots of games in past from 1996-2007) and started replaying a few in the past few weeks (Mostly play on XP Mode on Windows 7 since quite a few don't run):

Star Trek Elite Force 1 and 2
The Sting!
The Summoner
SWIV 3D
Vampire The Masquerade: Redemption
Motocross Madness 2
Hover! (That game that came with the CD versions of Windows 95)
Diablo II LOD (I did play Diablo III but wasn't overkeen on it like I was with its predecessors, so don't play it much)
SimCity 3000 World Edition
My nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
My whistle/flute videos (and some other videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/DXMorpheus
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Released level 2 of my Trials FPS, somehow managed to squeeze a bit more content in. Got featured in another youtubers monetizing attempt vid :) (although this one seems quite popular) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3gTfc-i8tE#t=01m25s

Still playing modded Doom.

Have got round to finishing 2027 yet.

Considering going back and finishing modded Duke3D, gave up for some reason which is strange, I love that game.

And playing Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 Call of Dooty: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRIy5ymD3uc
No serious im playing CoD and having fun destroying noobs. Multiplayer is so fun as usual, and singleplayer is laughable as usual. Zombies is fun.

Once I finish 2027 i'll start my HDTP/New Vision/Human Renovation playthrough.

Job Interviews next week, less time to spend playing and making games again :cry:
VectorM
MJ12

Post by VectorM »

What if I told you, that BLOPS 2 did choices and consequences better than Deus Ex?
AgentOrange
UNATCO

Post by AgentOrange »

One of my New Vegas mods apparently contained a hacking cheat, had to track it down in FNVedit using the original quick hacking mod to see what variable determines the number of visible passwords. Never would'a guessed it was Nevada Skies. Deleted the terminal edit, hopefully the mod still runs fine when I start OWB tomorrow morning.
"Heh, a Throne Room! How pretentious can you get?" - Garret
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

VectorM wrote:What if I told you, that BLOPS 2 did choices and consequences better than Deus Ex?
Then I would ask, does it also present you with multiple paths through each level, respond in depth to your play style, and allow a non-lethal approach?
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Jonas wrote:
VectorM wrote:What if I told you, that BLOPS 2 did choices and consequences better than Deus Ex?
Then I would ask, does it also present you with multiple paths through each level, respond in depth to your play style, and allow a non-lethal approach?
That's a pretty silly question.

Does it allow you to open doors? This is a very important feature to me.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

I'm listening...or are you just trolling?

Singleplayer has no quicksave, but other than that, no.

Multiplayer there is decent C & C in Create a class and prestige mode. However there are flaws- since when does a single tactical grenade have the same value as a perk? Why do you need four CaC points to have a pistol with two attachments? That is the same value as three perks and one lethal equipment. And much more.

You cannot compare the two games really, but Deus Ex has always been the king of choice and consequence in my eyes anyway.
CoD Multiplayer has some C&C design focus but the singleplayer has none whatsoever.

Something that really bugs me about DX though- Why the fuck is there pratically NO consequence for killing ANY of the children?
I like the reaction of Gordon Quick triggered by slaughtering "The boy", but thats as far as unique reactions go. People just act as if you killed any other civ- run away or open fire. No unique dialogue like "YOU SICK FREAK! DIE!". There definately should be more.
But some actual , real consequence would be great: 1000cr needed for some shady government official to cover it up or something, just an example.
Or every NPC refers to you by the name Freak instead of JC from thay point on, a bit like The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening on the gameboy, if you steal from the shop in that game the shop keeper murders you and every friendly NPC in the game calls you THIEF instead of your chosen name: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R20LulzYk-Q

Whoa that takes me back to when I was a small boy. Probably the first epic simulated adventure I went on, not the first game I played though. One of the greatest games of all time, objectively.

Whilst playing CoD online I run my custom emblem:

I bet 000.2% of X360 CoD players actually know what it is...lol. Emblem editor is pretty good though.
AgentOrange
UNATCO

Post by AgentOrange »

I've only played Black Ops 1, but judging from the laughably bad plot and boring singleplayer of BO1, I find it very hard to believe that.
"Heh, a Throne Room! How pretentious can you get?" - Garret
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Since I've got the Borderlands 2 season pass I thought I'd give Mr. Torgue's Campaign of Carnage DLC a whirl. I'm only about halfway through and so far it's not exactly thrilling me to bits. It's okayish, and while there are arena type fights it's not as arena centric as Mad Moxxis was. If you get through a couple of tiers of one in particular the third is level 50 and is for the co-op crowd I guess. The loot isn't much to write home about either.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Cybernetic pig wrote:Or every NPC refers to you by the name Freak instead of JC from thay point on, a bit like The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening on the gameboy, if you steal from the shop in that game the shop keeper murders you and every friendly NPC in the game calls you THIEF instead of your chosen name: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R20LulzYk-Q
Noteably, Zelda doesn't have voice-over. Imagine having to record alternate lines of every conversation that mentions JC Denton's name, and replace that with "you sick freak". Not to mention how ridiculously out of place and stupid that would sound if the rest of the line remained unaltered... so then we're talking entire alternate versions of every conversation to account for one player action. Does that seem like good use of development resources to you?

The fact is, you can set up an infinite list of things that would have been cool to do or actions that it would be neat to get a systematic response to, but developers do not have infinite time and resources to make their games - and that's a good thing, just look how Duke Nukem Forever turned out.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

As good an argument for text over voice as any I suppose.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

Not sure whether replacing Denton by "sick freak" would of been much of an improvement tho.

I'm so leet
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

One thing Project Eternity and Expedition: Conquisitor have above games like Deus Ex. It's just allowing a <FirstName> or something... every time.

Playing some The Old Republic now that it's F2P. Walking Dead ep.5 is released, so that too soon. Afterwards The Baconing, maybe some other games picked up at the Steam-sale...
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I'm not gonna say I prefer text-only over VO - voice adds an incredible amount of character to the game, and as a writer it's just a lot of fun to work with actors in bringing out the personality of a character in the game. You tend to have a certain voice as a writer, and unless you're really really really good (and sometimes even if you are) that tone ends up colouring every character you write - bringing in different actors to interpret those lines through their own personal and professional filters helps a lot to differentiate the different characters in the game from each other.

But on the other hand it's nice to have the freedom to go a little crazy with the text volume and the branching :P

And of course, for a game structured like Conquistador, with 42 potential followers of which you can get a maximum of 20 at one time, there's really no other way to go.

Oh, and maybe I should try to be a little bit on-topic: Sleeping Dogs remains fun.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
VectorM
MJ12

Post by VectorM »

Jonas wrote:
Ignoring Cybernetic pigs silly, insequre tirade, no, the game doesn't do those things specifically.

HOWEVER, when it comes to the main plot, I think that what BLOPS 2 did was more effective. Not only do most of the consequences of your decisions seem more meaningful, they actually affect the ending, unlike Deus EX. Also, the game had it's own Anna Navarre moment, that was pretty mindblowing to me, considering this is a Call of Duty game.
Last edited by VectorM on Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.