How to reduce file size of JPEG below 50 KB for WTM?

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

DamonMoral
UNATCO

How to reduce file size of JPEG below 50 KB for WTM?

Post by DamonMoral »

I have a JPEG photo I would like to have with my posts, instead of the "L" logo that now appears. Reducing the file size of a photo is something I only do every few years. The original file size was 590 KB. I tried several different things (online and locally on my Windows 10 laptop) and have reduced the file size to 57.3 KB.

Is there some free method to use to reduce that JPEG to below 50 KB so I can upload it successfully to my WTM profile?
MikeBrooklyn
Thug

Re: How to reduce file size of JPEG below 50 KB for WTM?

Post by MikeBrooklyn »

I'd suggest trying out JPEG Optimizer - it's a pretty handy tool. You can find it online, and it's user-friendly. Also, when you compress jpeg, make sure you find a balance between size and image quality. Sometimes tweaking the settings a bit more can help. Since you're on Windows 10, you might want to explore the built-in Photos app too. It has a 'Resize' option that could be useful. I had a similar struggle when I first joined, so don't worry - you're not alone! Keep experimenting with different tools, and you'll get that file under 50 KB in no time.