The Wow starts Never - Bitch about Micro$oft here :D

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Everyone loves Aero bars.

I agree. I didn't know much about the "three pillars", but I was laughing when they all were delayed. WinFS wasn't that important to me since NTFS really isn't that bad, other than it being difficult with other systems. I never really looked into PowerShell, but Windows needs a proper shell.

"Aero Glass" theme uses a lot of transparency, bitmaps, and animation to add "eye candy" to the interface. It of course taxes hardware resources unnecessarily, but it is pretty. I like how OS X conveys information using animations (where windows are going, what dialogs are tied to what window, etc), but I admit I wanted to keep the Aero theme even when it was a hindrance.

The move from 98 to 2000 was easy and logical for me. Didn't have much problem, except for some ancient games that had to run on an old machine. Microsoft is known for acrobatics done to keep compatibility-- there are stories such as there being checks in the system to see if the user is running Sim City, so that it can emulate an old system bug to keep Sim City happy. The move from 9x to NT had to be done. We all see what happened when MS extended 9x too far (Windows Millennium). I've seen Microsoft try to start over with Vista and it failed. Windows has been my "OS on the side" to MacOS and Linux, but I think Win2k3 will be my legacy Windows operating system, as the programs I need are already supported in WINE.

Much ado about nothing important anyway, but I'm disappointed to not run the latest OS.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Most annoying feature about Office 2007.

The fact that it took me 2 hours to insert page numbers... then realizing it was a bug. And they've removed PDF saving?! now you have to download the plugin from MS. (though they are stupid because you can download the patch from any good Download site without having to activate XP/Vista)
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Hate vista... Get revenge:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 5531799467

Have fun.
Darkshade
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Darkshade »

Vista = global warming.
"Metaphore" is a bloody metaphore.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

Darkshade wrote:Vista = global warming.
You mean global warming is actually real?
Or that Vista is a load of crap meant to scare us?
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Or both.. It's real, but the government makes out its sorta-real but has no evidence and so really is not real instead a projection of hyper reality.. and hence is real..?

Or in lay men terms, its a load of bullshit that exists just over hyped to unbelief. (like global warming)

Or.. THERE IS NO SPOON!
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Mr_Cyberpunk wrote:Hate vista... Get revenge:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 5531799467
Yeah okay, now that's taking the anti-Microsoft stance one step too far. Seriously.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Err that happened over a decade ago man. It'll be hell lot worse now :D Scolding hot apple pies this time? (Apple Pun Intended)
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Oh man, I still have a copy of that video. You need the Windows 98 presentation video where it crashes on them. "You'll notice that this scanner, Bill, Whoa..." "That must be why we're not shipping Windows 98 yet" "absolutely, absolutely".

editing my post. I noticed that someone in P2P land has been doing highly customized versions of Win2k3 called "Windows Tiny2003". It comes with lots improved but lots of additional stuff that needs to be removed, like pirated software. It comes with the Vista theme, its slipstreamed etc, but I don't want the pirated stuff. Something called nLite at nliteos.com can let you create your own customized Windows install, and I'm going to try that.[/url]
Global.Node
Thug

Post by Global.Node »

I was walking to Dominion and saw that Staples had a sign up that had a message exactly like this:

WINDOWS VISTA
THE WOW STARTS NOW

First, bullspit. Second, where I am isn't really a 'hot' area for computing, so no one would know what it is anyway. Half the people walking by said "Das some stupid, bah. Da wow starts now? What dey mean by dat? Must be some dam ol teenage ting bah. Bad ol kidds." There is no point in putting up that sign either way.
James T
UNATCO

Post by James T »

Mr_Cyberpunk wrote:Or in lay men terms, its a load of bullshit that exists just over hyped to unbelief. (like global warming)
...That's the second time I've heard from a climate-change-denier today, and the other time was when I was flicking through today's edition of The Australian. Methinks our country needs a cull.

...Or the Murdoch press does, at the very least.
"If all Americans want is security, they can go to prison." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

James T wrote:
Mr_Cyberpunk wrote:Or in lay men terms, its a load of bullshit that exists just over hyped to unbelief. (like global warming)
...That's the second time I've heard from a climate-change-denier today, and the other time was when I was flicking through today's edition of The Australian. Methinks our country needs a cull.
I think deniers should have the chance to express themselves, the hype all involves around people who say it's all true. But I guess 'different' opinions is not what free press is all about, rather just go with the hype without a doubt, fear sells. Let's mention terrorism some more.

Oh, and it's printed press, so it must be true!
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

The warming trend is clear to anyone who wants to look, to deny it is to claim there is a vast conspiracy (involving tampering with temperature records) spanning all nations and (literally) centuries. (Whether or not it is the fault of man is another question entirely.) I, personally, have nothing against conspiracy theories, but mainstream press tends to shy away from them. I think that, more than any kind of conscious effort to stop deniers from expressing themselves is what makes both individuals and the media look down on deniers.

The hype is a different point entirely, even with the globe warming there's no proof that it's a bad thing. For one thing our best records are in recent centuries, and those include a "little ice age" so warming could be getting things back to where they should be. (Should is of course entirely subjective.) Then there's the question of what could go wrong. Unless we kick off a runaway greenhouse effect the worst I've heard anyone predict is another ice age. When you think about it that's not that bad. Sure there will be lots of death as crops fail but as threats to humanity go an ice age is fairly low on the bad scale, and that is the absolute worst that can happen (again, assuming no run away greenhouse effect) so why worry?

Well some people like polar bears, and some people like coastline. (Of course the coast line will come back if there's an ice age, so there's good in every situation.)

-

I agree though, the most important freedom of all is the freedom to dissent. If that means saying, "The world isn't getting warmer," when it is people should be allowed to do so.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

chris the cynic wrote:The warming trend is clear to anyone who wants to look, to deny it is to claim there is a vast conspiracy (involving tampering with temperature records) spanning all nations and (literally) centuries.
I think it can be done without that much of a vast conspiracy ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sc ... _consensus
Interesting reads, all of it.
This as well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_warming_controversy
(Needless to say that I am a bit skeptic towards any medium that only tells me one side of the story).
I agree though, the most important freedom of all is the freedom to dissent. If that means saying, "The world isn't getting warmer," when it is people should be allowed to do so.
Exactly :D
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

EER wrote:I think deniers should have the chance to express themselves, the hype all involves around people who say it's all true. But I guess 'different' opinions is not what free press is all about, rather just go with the hype without a doubt, fear sells. Let's mention terrorism some more.
It's funny you should put it like that, because here in Denmark, we have a pretty famous member of the "global warming is not man-made" crowd: Bj?rn Lomborg.

Bj?rn is pretty much always invited to present his theories and his statistics whenever global warming is processed in the media, and this makes it look like Bj?rn and those who agree with him make up at least 50% of the scientists who deal with the subject. However, Bj?rn is the only notable scientist who speaks for that set of theories, and those who follow him are a small group of individuals. You'll also note many of them are - just like Bj?rn - economers and the likes rather than, say, meteorologists, geographers, or physicists.

So at least in this part of the world, those who don't believe global warming is a problem are rather overrepresented in the media compared to how much importance they actually carry in the academic world.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine