The US Economy

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Jonas wrote:Because I think Sarah Palin is a dumb bitch.
Rude!

I'm not a fan of Palin as VP, but I'm quite sure she's not all that dim. I mean, imagine if YOU had that kind of media attention. I know I'd come out looking like a moron, too :p
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Jetsetlemming wrote:Canada's just like Alaska, except the eastern bits speak french. Would you like that, huh Jonas? A bunch of french speaking Sarah Palin clones? HUH JONAS
Also mooses. You jsust can't trust a moose, that's an obvious fact.
Also mounties.

I should get a gun so I fit in here in America. :P I know how to shoot (of course), but I don't own one personally.
A Møøse once bit my sister ...
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

No realli! She was Karving her initials on the møøse with the sharpened end of an interspace tøøthbrush given her by Svenge - her brother-in-law - an Oslo dentist and star of many Norwegian møvies: "The Høt Hands of an Oslo Dentist", "Fillings of Passion", "The Huge Mølars of Horst Nordfink".
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Trestkon wrote:I'm not a fan of Palin as VP, but I'm quite sure she's not all that dim. I mean, imagine if YOU had that kind of media attention. I know I'd come out looking like a moron, too :p
Yeah but then WE'RE not running for bloody VP.

Everything's relative. As a human being, I'm sure Palin is moderately intelligent (if far from sensible). For a vice-presidential candidate, Sarah Palin is a dumb bitch.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

There is a theory, completely reasonable, that it was all part of the plan.

Sarah Palin can read off a teleprompter very well (she's a former sports reporter) and that is what she does for the McCain campaign almost exclusively. She goes to rallies, reads off a teleprompter, people cheer, and she avoids all questions.

The only non-teleprompter event she was required to attend was the debate. There is something a bit odd about debates in this country, the person who won isn't always the person who won. The media cares more about someone beating expectations than beating the opponent. Sarah Palin lost the debate by all accounts not controlled by her campaign. But she beat expectations to a much greater degree than her opponent, so she comes out on top.

Campaigns know they will be judged in relation to expectations, so they try to get them low (this saves them the trouble of having to do a good job) and no one has ever gotten them lower than Palin.

According to one source expectations literally couldn't be any lower. Another said that if at least half of her sentences had a noun and a verb she would beat expectations. Sure enough she did. Hands down observers said Biden won the debate, but watching the media you'd barely notice because Palin beat expectations.

Now she disappears again, only to be seen reading from a teleprompter, repeating the same speech in town after town.

Some have said that the stupidity was all part of the plan.

-

That said, I don't believe it. If you watch he debate when she was running for governor she had no idea what she was doing. She said rehearsed lines, and when asked what she meant by them she repeated the same rehearsed lines. That's one of the things she did in the crash and burn interview. So it seems like a trend with her, not an expectation lowering invention.

In the VP debate her lines were clearly rehearsed, and apparently not rehearsed very well. She rushed them. Apparently she didn't take the time practice anything more than the words because the voice synthesizer on my computer is better at displaying emotion and intelligence than she was.

On the other hand, she did continue on her, "McCain's gonna die, vote for me for president," thing, and I doubt he told her to do that. (Short version: when asked what she personally, and explicitly not John McCain, would do, she replied by saying she would do things only a president can do. Her answer only makes sense if John McCain is going to be taken out of play in the next four years.)

The most painful moment for me was when she said, "Say it ain't so Joe, there you go again," simultaneously desecrating both baseball and presidential politics. To understand why that was a desecration you simply need to hear how she said it.
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

I'm worried now Sarah Palin is going to get the McCain campaign support from all the comedians in Hollywood. She's the new George Bush.
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

One comedian said (paraphrasing) I'm rich, Obama will raise my taxes. McCain and Palin are much eaiser to make fun of so Obama and Biden being elected will make my job harder. I'm voting for Obama anyway.
Smike
Platypus

Post by Smike »

Haha! Yeah, Chris, when she did that she really irked me too. I think the only thing that was part of the plan was to get the highest-ranking Female available who would agree to run with McCain, and just put her ass on the ballot lickety split.

She IS a dumb bitch, that's a very accurate definition. Lobotomized ape might be another good description. I can't think of any other VP candidate, female or otherwise, that came out looking anywhere near as dumb and unqualified as Sarah Palin except Dan Quayle. (But he's arguably the dumbest person EVER, so even The W. looks smart by comparison.)

+91,000,012,001.26 points for the Holy Grail references, T!
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

I'm just happy he didn't ask Olympia Snowe. I know she never said she would say yes if asked, but she never said she would say no either.

I'm not sure I could take having her on his ticket. I respect her and would prefer that it remain that way. She's not of my party, but she is a decent human being.

It has been nice to have our senior senator in the news though. I particularly remember someone responding to criticism of Palin by saying that people have trouble believing McCain could so easily pick a qualified Republican woman and then James Carville of all people saying that McCain could have, he could have picked Olympia Snowe, he simply chose not to.

For those of you who have never heard of the senior senator from Maine, she's been a senator more than half my life, she's qualified, she's respected and she's very not Palin like. There's not much to say beyond that. She's right about some things, wrong about others. And the world's tallest snowperson was named after her.
Rodrigo Diaz de Vivar
Thug

Post by Rodrigo Diaz de Vivar »

Trestkon wrote:No realli! She was Karving her initials on the møøse with the sharpened end of an interspace tøøthbrush given her by Svenge - her brother-in-law - an Oslo dentist and star of many Norwegian møvies: "The Høt Hands of an Oslo Dentist", "Fillings of Passion", "The Huge Mølars of Horst Nordfink".
We apologise for the fault in the subtitles. Those responsible have been sacked.
Smike
Platypus

Post by Smike »

For the record, those bastards are just acting crazy and stupid, and many countries - including the USA - do that WAY better than Holland. Femke, on the other hand, puts all Dutch people to unmitigated and unrestrained SHAME by being involved with such a scandalous photo.

That said,

WHAT THE HELL IS UP WITH ALL THAT ORANGE!??

And what the hell is WRONG with you Dutch people?? Oh my god. :shock:
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

and whats up with pants..
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

We rule man! We rule!

Orange ftw!
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!