Games you've been playing for years but never completed

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Jaedar
Illuminati

Re: Games you've been playing for years but never completed

Post by Jaedar »

Actually my statement was based 100% on the fact that it is quite similar to DX before the aliens(multiple paths, ability to pacify instead of kill, augmentations), and turns into a generic boring rail shooter after it.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Well this is both for and against. Before up grading my rig playing t3 was enjoyable now with a better graphics card it "looks" a lot better but that doesn't mean i'm enjoying it[play wise]more.
However i'm hanging out for the Freelancer crossfire 1.8 mod because it's going to look absolutely spectacular going by the screen shots.But i guess Freelancer needs something extra.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Morti
UNATCO

Post by Morti »

I realised I've never finished the original The Legend of Zelda so I had a go at that today. Four dungeons in and I think I've had enough. It's a silly game really, combat is fiddly and all the secrets are stupidly obscure (even for someone like me who's completed most Zelda games released since). I've also never finished Far Cry, it's great at the start and then there are mutants and it starts sucking (Crysis also has this problem except aliens, going further back the space levels in Duke Nukem 3D sucked as well). Far Cry 2 has the exact opposite problem in that there's never really any progression, you just shoot the same people over and over (and yes, I got more than half way through). So not finished either Far Cry game.

Wolfenstein 3D is another one I've never finished but I never considered it fun enough to go back to anyway. I've played Doom 3 once and didn't like it so that doesn't really count but I've finished Ultimate Doom, Doom II, Quake, Quake 2 and Quake 3 Arena. I guess I could go back to Quake 4 sometime so that's another one I've gone back to more than once but not finished. Finished all the Half-Life games except for the mission packs (Blue Shift wasn't that great and the other one was better but I still didn't get all that far). I can proudly say I beat Half-Life (including the last boss) without cheating though. That was after playing it on and off for years and after finishing Half-Life 2. Hm. I should have thought to bring some Half-Life on holiday with me. Never mind.

Oh oh oh! A big one this. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on the NES. I loved that game, still do, but never got past the Technodrome and those damn guys with the jetpacks.

So I guess my list, in approximate order of release, is a bit like:

Bubble Bobble
The Legend of Zelda
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Far Cry
Quake 4
Far Cry 2

The others mentioned are ones I've not really played often enough to be relevant.
Epifols
Thug

Post by Epifols »

Oh yeah, original Zelda, never finished that one either.

I don't see the problem with mutants in Far Cry. Everyone hates them, I love it. But yeah, Far Cry 2 needed a more interesting enemy pool. There was a bigger variation in trees than opponents.
Of our elaborate plans, the end
Of everything that stands, the end
Morti
UNATCO

Post by Morti »

Plus there are only so many identical-looking black people you can shoot before you start to feel a little racist.
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

Well in Farcry2 there's the following:

Some people that just stand there.
Black Merc 1
Black Merc 2
Black Merc 3
White Merc 1
White Merc 2
ETC ETC...
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

On HL1 versus Doom and Quake, both Doom and Quake were popular too. I meant a recognizable 3D FPS in a modern sense. Those games are so simple/pure FPS that they aren't easily recognized as a FPS now aside from "You shoot from a first person perspective" and health/ammo/guns. HL1 has all the basic elements of a modern FPS; aside from the obvious intentional plot continuity, Doom 3 is more similar to HL1 than Doom 1 or Quake. Still, HL1 gets praise like "It has a wonderful plot", which is rubbish, but the idea is that it's the first PC FPS game that had a reasonable plot with some characters, where the plot continues visually in-game (not just in the manual or "The Princess is in another castle!" subtitles).
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

Half Life 1 got GOTY.

Your turn.
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
~Psychotic~
Silhouette

Post by ~Psychotic~ »

After upgrading my own PC I love being able to play games like Far Cry 2 and Fallout 3 and see the graphics I've never been able to play with before. Even Oblivion looks good to me since I've been gaming on a laptop that had to play everything (minus games made before 2000) on the lowest graphics settings.

The graphics are incredibly helpful, I like playing games that are visually appealing. But considering I own and still play games that look like crap compared to what is made today (games like Deus Ex, Half-Life, System Shock, etc) I don't find them NECESSARY. Just helpful.
When I was younger I knew a motherfucker like you!
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

I find that playing things windowed mode help you boost the other settings.

Oblivion on my comp crashes in fullscreen.
In Windowed, it's perfectly fine.
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

ThisIsMyUsername wrote:TES Morrowind

I've gotten fairly far every time I play it, but then I just end up getting lost and saying 'Aw, fuck it'.
I've killed Dagoth Ur, but haven't ever gotten too far into either expansion's content. They rampt he difficulty up significantly for them, and Distant Lands fucked with Tribunal's city majorly, so I just went back to exploring Vvardenfell and ended up getting distracted by something else.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Jetsetlemming wrote: I've killed Dagoth Ur, but haven't ever gotten too far into either expansion's content. They rampt he difficulty up significantly for them, and Distant Lands fucked with Tribunal's city majorly, so I just went back to exploring Vvardenfell and ended up getting distracted by something else.
Can't say I had any problems with Tribunal, but that may be because My character er became effectively invincible at level 3 :D.
Although I do remember a side quest or two in there I had problems with.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Dead-eye
X-51

Post by Dead-eye »

Jaedar wrote:Crysis is actually a good game, until the aliens show up...
I felt that Crysis got better after you stopped fighting Koreans.

OK, my justification for saying "your not missing much" about Half-Life is that all the same ideas are in half life 2. So if you have already played Half Life 2 there is little point to playing Half Life, because it's just more of the same. Although I would also say the same about the Half-life episodes.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Half-Life 1 has a significantly different setting though, which shapes the general game experience a lot - the microcosm of Black Mesa is a lot more intimate and (IMO) interesting than big old City 17. If nothing else, it's worth playing HL1 just to see the advent of environmental storytelling through scripted sequences.

[EDIT] Oh and of course, Half-Life 1 is way less science fiction and more action film than Half-Life 2. Plot wise, I think it's a far tighter and more focused game.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Plus you get to kill vortigaunts. Christ, how I wanted to do that ALL THROUGH ep 2.