What are you playing?

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Re: What are you playing?

Post by Jetsetlemming »

Ultima 7 part 1, using Exult. I've pretty much got a handle on how things work, though I'm kinda surprised that fights are just "click battle mode, wait for everything to happen". Also I'm acting very un-Avatar-like, stealing everything I can. My best haul so far- stealing all the venom from the Minoc mine and selling it to the Britain Apothecary. Got 1050 gold for that.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Well I hate to be the bearer of not so good news but you may want to wait for a patch before purchasing Arkham Asylum. I just had a lurk over on the Eidos forums and lots there are ranting about runtime errors of which I just had one of myself. Apparently changing settings doesn't work for that either. Also that's happening with Steam and store bought games.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

Aw, fucking fuck. Since I was getting into Ultima I decided to try and finish Arx Fatalis (which is pretty much an Ultima game). As it turns out though, my save is broken not twenty minutes after where I left off. There's a part in the final area where there's supposed to be two melee enemies and a priest guarding an area. The melee enemies are there, but the priest's nowhere to be found, and he's supposed to be carrying an item I need to unlock the door to the final boss. If I stand in one part of the room, I hear a voice yell out "Sound the alarm!" or "Guards!", and it sounds like it's coming from inside the wall. :(

Incidentally, there's a walk through walls cheat, and I can't get it to work for some reason. :(
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

I figured out how to get past where I was stuck in Arx Fatalis, turns out I had an event I thought I completed that I hadn't (had to use an Enchant scroll on my Plot Sword of Boss Invincibility Negation), and that causes the priest to spawn where I can get to him.

I almost wish I hadn't though, cause FUCK THIS FUCKING LAST BOSS JESUS FUCKING CHRIST. I spent TWENTY GODDAMN MINUTES FIGHTING HIM, Literally twenty minutes according to chat timestamps from when I went in till when I came out, and he WOULD NOT DIE. GameFAQs says I just keep hitting him. It-He.org says I just keep shooting him. I hit him over and over with my sword. I shot him over and over with my bow. THE FUCKER WON'T DIE. If it werent' for GameFAQS and It-He I would've given up 15 minutes ago and started trying to find the "kill the boss for me" gimmick in the boss chamber. Instead, I'm just about ready to quit and uninstall.

This is me up on the perch that It-He mentions as breaking the boss AI so he won't attack you. I maneuvered so that he's right next to it with his back to it. I'm hitting him in the back with the strongest weapon in the entire game, the weapon the plot specifically had me made to kill this guy. I'm getting a double damage bonus on every hit for backstabbing him. HE WILL NOT FUCKING DIE.
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

I patched the game, and beat it. Patch made the boss stop spamming some of his more infuriating moves, but it still took 15 minutes straight of beating on him for him to die.
Final image of the end movie. Really neat. Would make a nice desktop if I was still using a 3:4 monitor. :O
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Gratz on beating the game.
I hate long boss fights that are all same, but I do approve of the final boss taking 15+ minutes to kill. As long as he has stages, patterns, and that sort of thing.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I really should play that game once, but it has giant spiders like Dark Messiah, so I dunno.

I'm starting Haze now. Got it because it was a PS3 exclusive and I always liked some of the ideas behind it. Immediately, I love the fact that you can actually reconfigure the controls one at a time like on a PC - all games should have that, but it's the first time I've ever seen it done on a console. From now on, no other games have any excuse for not doing it, since apparently it's completely possible. And wonderful, because the default controls in PS3 games tend to suck when you're used to playing on an X-Box 360.

Anyway, I'll get back to playing it and we'll see if it was worth the money.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

Jonas wrote:I really should play that game once, but it has giant spiders like Dark Messiah, so I dunno.
I'm not an arachnophobia, and Arx Fatalis has some freaky fucking spiders. I started anew game to try and be a bow and arrow stealth guy, and before I ever found a bow I found a big ass greenish blue spider with red eyes in a side cave guarding some gems. I tried to take it on, cast a fireball on it, using up all my noob MP, failing to kill it, then when I attempted to stab it with my dagger it hit me and nearly killed me in a single hit, and then I died anyway three seconds later from the poison.
:(

You don't really HAVE to fight or go near a spider in Arx as far as I can remember until the sixth or seventh level, though. Before that they're in side areas you can go in to find extra loot.
Trasher
UNATCO

Post by Trasher »

Woah, Arx Fatalis! Such a neat game. I have nothing bad to say about that game. It's long,hard,good story,awesome atmosphere and it has the best spell casting technique so far! You should really play this one, Jonas!
Rex
Silhouette

Post by Rex »

That kinda remind me nexus.. ah.. epic battles, beaten it 4 times, and made some battles in skirmish creator. But some idiot broke my cd and i got format so.. :cry:
Jonas(about Rex and Jaedar) wrote:I'm not sure what the fuck just happened, but you guys managed to finally find a way to be too off topic for OTP, and when I tried to split the thread... I failed.
Kee715
Illuminati

Post by Kee715 »

That new Wolfenstein game is epically awesome, 'tis like a WWII game crossed with sci-fi awesomeness. My only gripes are the regenerating health and the Nazis in power-armour, the latter being worse than the chaingun zombies in DOOM II. I would recommend renting it if possible until the price drops though, new PS3 games are too expensive to actually purchase.

@ Jonas: The controls are set up rather well, but alas the full customization is not there as far as I have seen. 'Tis still worth putting on that list of PS3 games to play.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

FPS is best on PC.
odio ergo sum
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

Or PS3 if you have the mouse thing like I do.
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Xesum wrote:Or PS3 if you have the mouse thing like I do.
So what you're saying is that if you spend a lot of money on the PS3 to make it more like a PC it somehow becomes better than the PC?
odio ergo sum
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

Jaedar wrote:
Xesum wrote:Or PS3 if you have the mouse thing like I do.
So what you're saying is that if you spend a lot of money on the PS3 to make it more like a PC it somehow becomes better than the PC?
The mouse thing only costed me £5.

Then when I plug it in, I can get called "HACKER" because my movement is much better than the usual sticks.

However you do have to be in a game that supports the mouse. :roll:
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.