What are you playing?

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

justanotherfan
Illuminati

Re: What are you playing?

Post by justanotherfan »

This thread always makes me feel like I'm not a gamer anymore. Too bored and annoyed with modern games. I scored really high on the Are You Hardcore test from Next Generation around 1997...

I should just give up and relegate myself to the knockoff Tamagotchi bin at my local dollar store.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

justanotherfan wrote:This thread always makes me feel like I'm not a gamer anymore. Too bored and annoyed with modern games. I scored really high on the Are You Hardcore test from Next Generation around 1997...

I should just give up and relegate myself to the knockoff Tamagotchi bin at my local dollar store.
C'mon Jaf, wait 'til OTP get their multiplayer server and join the good guys here in some co-op or team play. I have thoughts occasionally about no more gaming but the thought of another version of a game I love "fires" me up. I guess though, it won't be too long before I'm joining you in that bin. lol.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Jim
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jim »

yea, planet scanning sucks. fortunately my mouse has this adjustable speed which makes scanning them super fast. I also turn the sound off when scanning because "probe launched", "launching probe" countless times just gets rather annoying after awhile
I exist within the power lines...for some odd reason.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

It's incredibly how easy it would have been to fix, increase the reward, let the scanning continue while a probe is flying and increase the bloody scan speed. Preferably let the upgrade mark locations on the map that are likely to contain minerals.

We're talking very little extra work, but a much higher quality.
Jonas wrote: I have no problem believing it's better than DA:O. I loved DA:O, but ME2 is an FPSRPG
But DA was the best RPG evar since PS:T, surely the king cannot be vanqushied so easily?

Also, stealth is in the game sort of, infiltrators have an invisiblity power. It may even be a decent alternative to combat in some places, as XP is gained from quests, not kills(brilliant design decision, btw)
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Jaedar wrote:
Jonas wrote:I have no problem believing it's better than DA:O. I loved DA:O, but ME2 is an FPSRPG
But DA was the best RPG evar since PS:T, surely the king cannot be vanqushied so easily?
You appear to be missing my point. My point being:
FPSRPGs > RPGs
Also, stealth is in the game sort of, infiltrators have an invisiblity power. It may even be a decent alternative to combat in some places, as XP is gained from quests, not kills(brilliant design decision, btw)
That's not stealth, that's typical fake RPG-stealth. It's lame. But yes, XP from kills is balls, so yay @ BioWare.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Jonas wrote: You appear to be missing my point. My point being:
FPSRPGs > RPGs
But not long ago you claimed: FPSRPG=FPS. So it should also be FPSRPG=RPG.
Or am I missing something?
odio ergo sum
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Jaedar wrote:Or am I missing something?
Yeah, a citation.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Kee715
Illuminati

Post by Kee715 »

Not to interrupt the topic at hand, but Jonas got the 2000th post in this thread.

I wonder who will get the 9001st post...
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Jonas wrote: That's not stealth, that's typical fake RPG-stealth. It's lame. But yes, XP from kills is balls, so yay @ BioWare.
I like killin' dudez for exp! :(

Well...actually I just like killin' dudez, but it's always nice to be rewarded for it. Can you still get "phat lootz"?

I am currently being vastly amused by how mean ME1's combat can be: poor "lifted" floppy people being shotgunned around the room like fleshy screaming tennis balls...one poor guy got thrown to the floor and all three of us were simply standing around his prone form, shotgunning away at point blank with gusto. My recollection of it was that it was more refined, but clearly I was mistaken. Fun as hell though.
I also seem to keep making all the "utter bastard" decisions in convos that I made first time through, bizarrely. I think I just hate people.

Er..in the mass effect universe.

(unless they're krogan or quarian)
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Jonas wrote:
Jaedar wrote: And DX wasn't an FPS, it was an FPS/RPG. Huge difference.
Which means it was an FPS. And it was also an RPG..
Missing something? Not anymore.
DDL wrote: Well...actually I just like killin' dudez, but it's always nice to be rewarded for it. Can you still get "phat lootz"?
You get ammo, that's often enough. No, not really, there should be more phat loot, the only things you find during missions is potential areas of research.
odio ergo sum
DDL

Post by DDL »

To be fair, you're taking Jonas massively out of context there:

the implication is that an FPSRPG is both FPS and RPG, but that doesn't mean that it EQUALS an FPS and also EQUALS an RPG.

A liger is both a lion and a tiger, but is not equivalent to either.

And Jonas is stating in this thread that given pure RPG and FPSRPG, he likes the latter more.
Jim
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jim »

I'm not sure what constitutes a "pure RPG" personally.
I exist within the power lines...for some odd reason.
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

Jim wrote:I'm not sure what constitutes a "pure RPG" personally.
Japanese 2d isometric anime style games that are about 1000 hours long and are only sold in Japan.

So about 40% of all video games.
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Jim wrote:I'm not sure what constitutes a "pure RPG" personally.
Oh yes, the eternal question that drives all seekers of truth and justice.
Xesum wrote: Japanese 2d isometric anime style games that are about 1000 hours long and are only sold in Japan.
You're an idiot. Or a Troll. I can't decide.
odio ergo sum
DDL

Post by DDL »

Hah! Tis a very good point. That'll teach me to just say the first thing that comes into my head...(sadly, I very much doubt it actually will).

I guess for my 'pure RPG' statement you should actually read "the kind of RPG where combat resolutions are primarily or exclusively determined by stats and the like, and not by player skill/interaction, and that are not first person": think NWN, Baldur's gate, etc.

Obviously you can pick holes in that all you like (you can, for instance, zoom into your character's head in NWN and play it in first person...but...well, you really shouldn't: it's shit), but I'd hope you get what I mean: more of the "Select dude from party, click on enemy, watch them fight", dodging and blocking determined by random rolls against stats type of thing, not by hitting the dodge key at critical moments or by simply moving...etc.