Biggest Gaming Letdowns

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Re: Biggest Gaming Letdowns

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Invisible War

Alpha Protocol

Republic the Revolution (the game looked great but played pretty poorly- was sad because I actually liked the idea of a political simulator, but I feel like it screwed me around too much, the game consists of mostly just spinning plates and making sure the plates keep spinning at the right speeds- eventually it falls apart and you have to start all over again. There was a lot of hype behind this game too.),

(Fable 1 would be on here for the lies about Dynamic RPGs but instead) Fable 2 (because of dodgy QA the game broke so I can't ever play it again, biggest waste of $90 because some douchebag QA couldn't do their job properly- thank god the Fable 3 is multiplatform, but I won't buy it, Peter Molyeneux keeps stealing my money.. which brings me to..)

Black and White 1 and 2.

Spore (Spore is probably the biggest on this list, it pissed me off something shocking because Will Wright was the sole reason the game failed, he had a great idea but then changed that idea behind closed doors, didn't tell anyone, and then let marketing sort everything out, in the end he should have never been at GDC with that game because it was clearly NOT a game for gamers. It was 5 mini-games in one, that we paid $90 for and it was buggy and under developed garbage, once Will Wright left patching stopped and the game has been stagnate ever since.)

TES Oblivion (It was just an inferior product to Morrowind in so many ways, add this to the over hyped "Radiant AI" which never saw the light of day and you have yourself setup for a disapointing game when you compare it to Morrowind.) If you were a fan of Morrowind and saw the hype, you too would have been disappointed as much as I was. Fortunately I can say Fallout 3 was an improvement on the crap that was Oblivion- but compared to Fallout 1 and 2 I wasn't as big a fan of Fallout 3- it was okish, but it shared lots of problems that Oblivion had- namely the crap AI and Voice Acting and Story.

Empire Total War, (Incredibly Buggy game that was never fixed and never will be fixed, I would also add Napoleon Total War to the list because it was basically THE SAME GAME sold for the cost of a full retail game. I don't have much hope for Shogun 2)

StormRise.. (THE WORST RTS EVER MADE..)

Hellgate London, The gameplay wasn't actually too bad, its just disapointing that the developer sucked! they allowed the game to fail and so what should have been a revolutionary MMO turned into an overly instanced pile of garbage that was released too early. Which brings me to:

Star Trek Online, Same as above only minus the revolutionary thing, the gameplay is boring redundant wow grind crap- the game is riddled with bugs that will likely never be fixed and the community is terrible. do not play STO it is terrible. Sure there are elements of SFC in the game, but this is immediately gone once you realize all you've done for the time you spent in the game is grind grind grind.. and then they have the nerve to charge $25 per ship... what the hell.
JizzyJeff
UNATCO

Post by JizzyJeff »

This was the biggest birthday present letdown. Thanks Dad.

My name is not Jeff.
Hashi
Silhouette

Post by Hashi »

JizzyJeff wrote:This was the biggest birthday present letdown. Thanks Dad.

It was just a simulation and not real pool?
JizzyJeff
UNATCO

Post by JizzyJeff »

I wanted a swimming pool for my birthday.

No seriously, we were poor in those days and I only had one PS2 game at the time. A shitty pool game was not what I had in mind for beefing up my library.

Crap, I'm still poor.
My name is not Jeff.
Undisputed
UNATCO

Post by Undisputed »

The Final Fantasy Franchise, God of War, Infamous, and other games that gets hyped so much it can't stand its own ego..
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

God of War Series is pretty good. Very Linear with Simple Stories, often bending Greek Mythology (Starting to sound like Clash of the Titans). Whatever the case, they are fun to play. Combat System is very good, enabling you too pull of some cool looking combos.

Never played a propper final fantasy game. I've played Kingdom Hearts II which is essentially a spin off. And I did enjoy that; Not because it was Final Fantasy characters mixed with Disney Characters and words.
It isn't a childrens game either, I found it really quite difficult; too difficult perhaps to be a kids game. That could mean I'm just crap at it, but whatever.

I can't think of a game that has truely let me down. Tomb Raider: Angel Of Darkness springs to mind. I loved the Tomb Raider games, despite the clunky gameplay. AOD just killed it, I don't think I ever finished that game. Legend and Anniversary revived the series quite well and were really fun games to play.

Invisible War didn't even let me down that much. I'd read a few reviews and people had said things such as; "It Suxorz" or whatever so I was expecting the worst. Played it, and really enjoyed it. :P
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
Undisputed
UNATCO

Post by Undisputed »

nerdenstein wrote: I can't think of a game that has truely let me down. Tomb Raider: Angel Of Darkness springs to mind. I loved the Tomb Raider games, despite the clunky gameplay. AOD just killed it, I don't think I ever finished that game.
I think the only way it killed it was because it was named "Tomb Raider" and the entire game had absolutely nothing to do with raiding/exploring tombs like the originals. Besides that, I found the subtle level up system where you would get stronger and faster was refreshing. The environment was also very original and amazing. The gameplay elements was great, storyline was improved compared to the originals with a more coherent one rather than randomly running around like in the first couple ones...

The game was a masterpiece to the series in my eyes and re-innovated Tomb Raider....There was an insane amount of glitches and flaws but overall I'd give it a 8/10...
shadowblade34
MJ12

Post by shadowblade34 »

Mr_Cyberpunk wrote: Republic the Revolution (the game looked great but played pretty poorly- was sad because I actually liked the idea of a political simulator, but I feel like it screwed me around too much, the game consists of mostly just spinning plates and making sure the plates keep spinning at the right speeds- eventually it falls apart and you have to start all over again. There was a lot of hype behind this game too.),
Funny you should metion that, becuase my siter worked on some of the design and artwork on it for a short period of time, but her name isn't to be found anywhere. She told me and my other brothers to play it, it had a good concept but it would get confusing and annoying, so I quit it.
What the heck are you looking at my signature for?Read my blog
Zaine
UNATCO

Post by Zaine »

In Republic the Revolution, I got to the 2nd city and then got stuck on the skeleton in the closet mission. I cannot advance from there.
You Will Regret This!
Boltersdriveer
UNATCO

Post by Boltersdriveer »

Daikatana. Invisible War. TNM 2!!!!!
fantsu
UNATCO

Post by fantsu »

Oblivion was huge disappointment, but so was Morrowind, so I would say that Morrowind hurt me more. It was the the downfall to now streamlined games of that francise.
HL2. Bad, bad game. After the brilliant first game, I never even bothered to play this through.
IW. Nothing to say from this.
Super Mario World. After a good game, part 3, this was so simplified and featured terrible level design.
Gran Turismo 5. They did release 4 again, with new pricetag.
Civilization 5. Civ1 with fancier graphigs. Terrible, utterly broken game
Bravery is not a function of firepower.
My "Deus Ex - Conspiracy" run on emulator
Alex Jacobson: They'll have you killed. They won't even blink an eye.
JC Denton: Neither did I.
Undisputed
UNATCO

Post by Undisputed »

fantsu wrote:Oblivion was huge disappointment, but so was Morrowind, so I would say that Morrowind hurt me more. It was the the downfall to now streamlined games of that francise.
Strange, I mean I played the old school Elder Scrolls were everything was controlled by text and there was quite a few options as far as what to do but seriously?
fantsu wrote: Gran Turismo 5. They did release 4 again, with new pricetag.
I can believe this, at least they added some things, theres even Go-Karts :P
fantsu wrote: Civilization 5. Civ1 with fancier graphigs. Terrible, utterly broken game
Its a Sid Meier game, is that really a suprise? I've played a few of his games and they always come after games that already have the same exact gameplay style, only he takes after it and dumbs it down. Sid Meier needs to die, what a egotistical douche...
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Undisputed wrote:
fantsu wrote:Oblivion was huge disappointment, but so was Morrowind, so I would say that Morrowind hurt me more. It was the the downfall to now streamlined games of that francise.
Strange, I mean I played the old school Elder Scrolls were everything was controlled by text and there was quite a few options as far as what to do but seriously?
HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHaHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAAHAHAHHaHAHAAaHaHAHaAHAHAHAHAHAHAHahAHAHah... ahem... heh... eheh...

No wait, still not done:

AAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHEEE HEE HEE HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhhahahahaheheheheeheheh... eheh... heh. Yep, good stuff.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Boltersdriveer
UNATCO

Post by Boltersdriveer »

Jonas wrote:
Undisputed wrote:
HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHaHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAAHAHAHHaHAHAAaHaHAHaAHAHAHAHAHAHAHahAHAHah... ahem... heh... eheh...

No wait, still not done:

AAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHEEE HEE HEE HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhhahahahaheheheheeheheh... eheh... heh. Yep, good stuff.
wat
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

controlled by text
?! What the... did you play Zork by mistake?
Gran Turismo 5. They did release 4 again, with new pricetag.
Yep I just discovered this, and I will be returning the game this weekend because the game freezes on me constantly.
Fuck bullshit game, DO NOT BUY. They absolutely screwed this up. 6 years 60 million spent and an army of developers... WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED! its a pathetic game- I've got good reasons but I've ranted enough on other forums about it.. so the games going back, fuck it, I wash my hands of this POS game.