What are you playing?

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: What are you playing?

Post by Jonas »

Jaedar wrote:Danish kr are worth twice as much as swedish ones? O.O THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!
What? How did you arrive at that conclusion? 1000 DKK is 1227 SEK, so the Danish krone is worth just under 25% more than the Swedish one. $100 AUD is 666 SEK, 60 € is 550 SEK. Woah... okay I see what you mean. And I just noticed 60 € is 448 DKK today. Either I fucked something up yesterday, or the exchange rate just took an enormous dive.

[Edit] Looks like it's been fairly stable: http://www.x-rates.com/d/DKK/EUR/graph30.html
I guess I just fucked up yesterday. My apologies :smile:

Incidentally 448 kr. is a bit too much for a completely new PC game, but not unheard of.

[Double edit] I notice $60 USD is 311 DKK, it's quite possible I got EUR and USD mixed up. Sorry!
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

DaveW wrote:
Sony and Microsoft charge licensing fees to develop for their platform, that's how they make their money and sell/sold their consoles at a loss. PC games have remained the same price for years (about £25-£30 in the UK, if you buy online). I don't actually know why that is though - publishers could easily push it up to near console levels and pocket the massive difference, but I guess no one would want to be the first publisher to do that. Console games are usually around £40-£50 here, compared to PC's £30 - and the PS3 is generally more expensive.
I find it hard to believe that they take so much money in the form of licensing that the price must be doubled. Seems to me that there must be something more going on. I actually think PC games have decreased in cost in sweden, at least the last few years(this is prob cause the dollar has been steadily sinking tho).

@Jonas: Yeah, it happens. Was just a bit surprised was all.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

It's possible that at least some of the price hike on console games is an attempt to coerce customers into buying used games, which generate significantly higher profits for the shops. Relatedly, it's possible the publishers price their console games higher to make up for lost revenue due to used games sales, which is a virtually non-existant problem on PC.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Jaedar wrote:I find it hard to believe that they take so much money in the form of licensing that the price must be doubled. Seems to me that there must be something more going on. I actually think PC games have decreased in cost in sweden, at least the last few years(this is prob cause the dollar has been steadily sinking tho).
Oh, probably not - but a lot of the price jump is licensing. I don't think Sony or Microsoft's fees are publicly available.

Just took a look at the prices for Battlefield 3, which seems like a moderately priced shooter. 360 is £40, PS3 is £40, PC is £33. This is all from a physical online retailer (Play.com) - so it's rough, but you can take from that that license fees would be ~£10 maybe.

Human Revolution is £28 on PC from the same site, which is about a normal price for PC. Battlefield and MW have always had inflated PC prices. Steam is £29 for Human Revolution by comparison - so you have the benefit of paying £1 extra and not getting a physical copy (not that it makes much difference).
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

DaveW wrote: so you have the benefit of paying £1 extra and not getting a physical copy (not that it makes much difference).
But how can a digital copy look good on my bookshelf?
odio ergo sum
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

Meh, Steam has ALWAYS been more expensive than retail here (NL). Be it old or new game.

It only got worse since the $ = Euro mindset.
So, "pay more for less" has always been Steam's motto.
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
Dragon
Silhouette

Post by Dragon »

Jonas wrote:It's possible that at least some of the price hike on console games is an attempt to coerce customers into buying used games, which generate significantly higher profits for the shops. Relatedly, it's possible the publishers price their console games higher to make up for lost revenue due to used games sales, which is a virtually non-existant problem on PC.
Not quite true. PC game publishers send DRM into the holy war against second hand use of games (for example only X times installable or certain features disabled on SH). At least EA and others see it a treat even bigger than piracy itself.

That said prices for games have been steadily rising in my country to a level you do not have to be astonished people start pirating. Up to 100 CHF for a console game? Back in my youth you got games betwen 20-40 CHF nowadays this is 40-80 CHF and more. Hilarious how you pay nearly double the price for half the fun (new games are usually a lot shorter, riddled with DRM and often rather mediocre).

On the other hand some Indies are helluva underpriced. Some you get for 5-10 CHF although they provide more than 40-80 CHF AAA games :/
Leader and Head Programmer: Epsylon, Drag[en]gine Game Engine (Alt-Page) and others
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

From Dust on PC.

I like it, but it's rather short. It's a mix of the Powder Game, Lemmings and Populous. You play as the 'omnipotent god spirit thing' that controls all the element in the land and you point the people in the right direction and they make their own way through a fiery dirt canyon filled with bubbly lava.

Whilst some of the later levels are rather difficult, the earlier levels are more calming and you generally find yourself not doing the objectives and just fucking about with the environment.

It's a decent game but it feels like it's lacking more content.
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Xesum wrote:From Dust on PC.

I like it, but it's rather short. It's a mix of the Powder Game, Lemmings and Populous. You play as the 'omnipotent god spirit thing' that controls all the element in the land and you point the people in the right direction and they make their own way through a fiery dirt canyon filled with bubbly lava.

Whilst some of the later levels are rather difficult, the earlier levels are more calming and you generally find yourself not doing the objectives and just fucking about with the environment.

Are you playing it on a console? There have been reports that it's a pretty piss-poor port to the PC. Uggh, unintentional alliteration.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

bobby 55 wrote:
Xesum wrote:From Dust on PC.

Are you playing it on a console? There have been reports that it's a pretty piss-poor port to the PC. Uggh, unintentional alliteration.
No, I'm playing it on the PC.

It lacks AA but aside from that it's fine.
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

I find it to be quite annoying how the camera pans as it only lets you actually use something like 60% of the actual screen before it goes inaccurate as all hell. And the game is waaaay too easy even when it tries to throw you a curveball(SUDDENLY:RAIN AND FLASH FLOODS ON THE VOLCANIC HELLSCAPE!)

Can't really recommend as anything other than a tech-demo.
odio ergo sum
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Old World Blues DLC: There's plenty to explore in it, I'm looking for a certain something and finding everything but. A lol moment when I came upon an artillery test site; I was close enough to an artillery piece that I got a "press use to fire" message....so I did. The report in my headphones made it seem as though someone had fired Big Bertha in my living room. :lol:
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

Jaedar wrote:I find it to be quite annoying how the camera pans as it only lets you actually use something like 60% of the actual screen before it goes inaccurate as all hell. And the game is waaaay too easy even when it tries to throw you a curveball(SUDDENLY:RAIN AND FLASH FLOODS ON THE VOLCANIC HELLSCAPE!)

That one level in the fucking volcano was horrible.
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

I bought Saint's Row 2 from Gamersgate, because it was on sale. But the Gamersgate version hasn't been patched to the most recent version, which mods require, and include very necessary performance increases. I registered the key on Steam, and Steam reads the key as a censored German copy, which hasn't been patched AT ALL, besides also being in German, and censored. I don't even know any german.

God damn it.

I'm just going to play more minecraft... I just realized the airship mod works in the Nether, so I've been flying around hell in my pirate themed flying ship and exploring.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Xesum wrote:
Jaedar wrote:I find it to be quite annoying how the camera pans as it only lets you actually use something like 60% of the actual screen before it goes inaccurate as all hell. And the game is waaaay too easy even when it tries to throw you a curveball(SUDDENLY:RAIN AND FLASH FLOODS ON THE VOLCANIC HELLSCAPE!)

That one level in the fucking volcano was horrible.
I dunno, I got 100% forestation before the volcano died. The entire crater was green(looked kinda weird having forest right next to the lava) pretty early. What was so horrible about it?
odio ergo sum