First Dishonored video footage

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Re: First Dishonored video footage

Post by DDL »

I tried the first hitman, and all it told me was that

A) I can break scripting like a boss
B) I would make a SHITTY hitman

:(

Still finished it, despite spitting coffee all over my monitor at the "47 chromosomes" bit. It was fun, but again: shitty hitman.

Mass murderer with an 8-round sawed-off? Yeah, that I can be. Hitman, not so much.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

I really should get to playing blood money at some point... paid good money for it during a steam sale after all ;)
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

The later installments, particularly hitman 2, is much more interesting and much more robust. It's almost like an old-timey adventure game in some respects, but generally one where all the puzzles make sense and have a lot of ways to solve them.

That's why it's such a good game - and the reason why Dishonored looks good.

Playing the hardest difficulty does have the advantage that you won't be lead to believe you can play the game quite as you want to...you really need to work with it, rather than bruteforcing solutions with a shotgun. It amps up the puzzle, tactics and strategy aspects, which I find the most enjoyable.

Also, when you do go on a killing spree and mow down 50 people, you feel like such a boss, you have no idea.
PlausibleSarge
UNATCO

Post by PlausibleSarge »

blood money is quite good, especially for a third-person stealth game, which are usually repetitive and boring, because of the way the story unfolds and how the game allows you to do things in quite interesting ways at points. On the surface, it looks like you are just being paid to take out random targets, and then everything gets revealed.

But yeah, I randomly bought it one day, and thought it would be kinda fun. I finished it 2 days later and then proceeded to get silent assassin on every mission over the next few months. Amazing game.

Besides, why snipe the targets when you can make one die by swapping out a prop ww2 pistol with a real one and drop a chandelier on the other ones head?
Paul1290
NSF

Post by Paul1290 »

I also got reminded of Hitman when they mentioned that it was mission-based but very open-ended within that.

I also want to see how the latest Hitman games turns out.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

DDL wrote:Mass murderer with an 8-round sawed-off? Yeah, that I can be. Hitman, not so much.
This is why I liked Blood Money - I mostly ended up just shooting everything and everyone. I don't think I actually did any of the stealth properly.

I probably didn't in Thief, either, come to think of it.

Paul1290 wrote:I also got reminded of Hitman when they mentioned that it was mission-based but very open-ended within that.

I also want to see how the latest Hitman games turns out.
Sounds a bit more like Thief 3's set-up, where you have hubs in between missions. Seems popular with game designers who kind of want to do sandbox, but not quite, like Wolfenstein.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I think it's more that the levels come in a string, but each level is a bubble rather than a line, if you get my meaning. Macro-linear, micro-nonlinear. Like Deus Ex.

But yes, apparently also with some sort of hub in between missions.

I love that structure, myself. Affords plenty of room to mess around while still being way more focused than your average open world game.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Indeed, sandbox levels are the best of both worlds/types of games.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

To all fans of Looking Glass (all of you on this forum?), spread the word about Dishonored, post this vid in any other forums you frequent in the off topic section if you have the time, hype it up to your friends. We as gamers need to take it into our own hands and get the word out to the Cod kiddies, casual gamers, Mass Effect fanboys ect. We need this game's sales to match that of a "triple A" title in hope of more legendary games to be developed. No more dumbing down, hand holding ect. Looking Glass's games have always sold poorly compared to the simple competitors (System Shock vs Doom, System Shock 2 vs Half life and so on) so if you are fed up with the way the industry is in these times then spread the word and make a change!

When the next gen hardware comes on the market games will cost even more to make with such incredible graphics, so the BS that we face now will get more frequent (dumbing down, day one DLC/on disk DLC etc)

Get on it, lets make Arkane a top developer!
Listen to this to get you started- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMPqoJnZ ... re=related
8)
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Consider this Mass Effect fanboy already converted. Oh Christ, and since I like Borderlands, that makes me a casual gamer as well. How will I live with the shame?
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

bobby 55 wrote:Consider this Mass Effect fanboy already converted. Oh Christ, and since I like Borderlands, that makes me a casual gamer as well. How will I live with the shame?
BOO! :mrgreen:
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Hope y'all been getting busy, unless you like guys like this making the "top" games in the industry- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SV97ozaD ... r_embedded
[-o<
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Whoever made that video is an idiot.

I need no further information about them to make this assessment.

That is my professional opinion. Thank you and good day.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Jonas wrote:Whoever made that video is an idiot.

I need no further information about them to make this assessment.

That is my professional opinion. Thank you and good day.
For some reason I find those videos fucking hilarious. I'm that easily amused.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I did enjoy the giant enemy crab remix.
Jonas Wæver