First Dishonored video footage

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

PlausibleSarge
UNATCO

Re: First Dishonored video footage

Post by PlausibleSarge »

Oh bioware...when will they learn that only idiots are stupid enough to think that button->awesome is a good gameplay mechanic
Undisputed
UNATCO

Post by Undisputed »

I'm sold and not even that much information was given, looking forward to game footage.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

PlausibleSarge wrote:Oh bioware...when will they learn that only idiots are stupid enough to think that button->awesome is a good gameplay mechanic
Only idiots are stupid enough to think that button -> awesome is meant to be a "gameplay mechanic".

It's a design paradigm. And a completely valid one that's been the cornerstone of enormous successes, too.

God of War, anyone?
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

Whatever you think of the statement "button - > awesome", people who are using it as a catch phrase? Probably have a nuanced point of view somewhere in their minds that's reasonable and has some level of depth.

I mean, yeah, taking such a statement out of context misrepressents the person making the statement, but the people who are doing that are also making statements, and they're not generally trying to ruin this particular mans reputation by misrepressenting him...By quoting him unfairly, they're making a point of their own about games, not a point about how much of a retard this individual is.

They're trying to make a statement on what's good for games, and what's bad for games, and using this quote as a reductio ad absurdum argument in favor of the opposite of a larger "button - > awesome" design trend. I don't think they question whether it's popular, or whether it's valid in the sense that it can make a game developer money, either - I think they question the quality of the experience that comes out of that approach, which is a different concept altogether.

So Jonas, yeah, I agree, it's completely unfair to this person who made this statement (and the idea of attacking people like him running the industry is BS, unless you consider it in abstract terms, rather than concrete ones), but that's not really relevant to what's being said with this clip...It was never about the person who said this anyway. It was about illustrating a concept as being fundamentally bad.

Which...well, it might be. It might not be. It depends on how litterally it's taken, how immediately it's supposed to be understood, I guess.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

OR! Maybe the person who made the video... is just an idiot.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

Jonas wrote:OR! Maybe the person who made the video... is just an idiot.
So...He's an idiot because he makes a superficial statement about someone being an idiot?
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Took you a while to get the joke, but you got there in the end. I award you 6 points out of 10 =D>
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

Well, you can't expect non-Danes to understand Danish jokes of course... oh wait ... #-o
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

What do you mean got the joke? Was there a joke inthere?
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Anyway, Dishonored looks awesome :D

Can't wait to play it.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

I have a feeling my metacritic rating just went down
VectorM
MJ12

Post by VectorM »

Pretty sure they don't support negative numbers.
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

You're correct; The system is coded up in C, and apparently some bright fellow came up with storing the score in an unsigned int, so currently my score is 4,294,967,290.

Unfortunately, it's about as useful as that amount of frequent flier miles.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

If you have that amount of frequent flier miles to spare, I'd be happy to take them off your hands. Turns out they only let you board quickly, skip queues and go into airline lounges if you have a decent amount of frequent flier miles.

Also you could use them as credit towards buying even more flights. In short, if you have THAT amount of miles it's definitely not useless. Unless you don't like flying.
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

Don't have any of those, sorry.
I'm pretty sure I can't trade away any of my now glorious metacritic rating either. It's too bad, too.

But if the airlines use the same system as metacritic, you can try this:

Order a flight from Amsterdam to New York a weak from now, then catch a ride on a freighter going there, then sneak onto a flight going from New York to Amsterdam. You will then have flown your flight in reverse, and if they don't support negative miles in their system either, you'll either be entitled to around 2^32 or 2^64 frequent flier miles depending on which size unsigned int they use.

Although, knowing your luck, they probably use floats.