Great Steam Sales

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

nerdenstein
Illuminati

Re: Great Steam Sales

Post by nerdenstein »

Never got into ARMA, didn't get on with the controls.

Not strictly a Steam Salebut:
New bundle if I haven't pointed it out to you guys: http://www.humblebundle.com/
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

!!!
http://threepanelsoul.com/2011/11/08/do ... -cherub-2/

Spiral Knights is Ians game! I need to check it out now...

Ian as in the guy who also did http://www.machall.com/index.php

He was popular back on the PDX OT boards....
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Yeah. Not sure how you could've avoided picking up on that if you frequent Three Panel Soul. Still not interested in Spiral Knights though.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Jane_Denton
X-51

Post by Jane_Denton »

shadowblade34 wrote: I could, if we are ever online at the same time. I've just started the game though. Also, I see you playing Borderlands, maybe Co-op on that too?
For sure... either game, I have a couple of other games there too that would be possible to coop. Lately yeah the last couple of days it's been Borderlands because I want to get my character up to level 60... she's at 49 right now... then I am working my way through every inch of New Vegas when it's not crashing on me (I'll take a pill on that topic, since I've already vented to Jonas about it).

Is it possible to coop an existing character one has created in Borderlands and use it in coop? It must be.. I'm going to guess it is.. unless someone else tells me otherwise...

Oh started playing DC Universe as well... it's FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.... my mentor is Batman.. :mrgreen: It's the only MMORPG I've allowed myself to partake in... although there are missions apparently I've failed... although I don't even remember them showing up?!!? Oh well... it's free...
Who we are is but a stepping stone to what we can become...
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

Jonas wrote:Yeah. Not sure how you could've avoided picking up on that if you frequent Three Panel Soul. Still not interested in Spiral Knights though.
The previous game he worked on sucked, apart from the art. It excites me if his art is in a game people describe as fun, but I don't check out stuff he works on because yeah, that's not worked out in the past.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Jane_Denton wrote: Is it possible to coop an existing character one has created in Borderlands and use it in coop?
If by that you mean, can you use single player characters in coop (and vice versa) then yes. There is really no difference between SP and MP character handling (you can actually play the entire game through in online coop mode, on your own: the only difference is you can no longer pause). The quest list is inherited from the person hosting, though, so it's usually better to go for the lower-levelled dude as host.

If you mean "can I play coop with my own alts", then no. Though you can if you have two accounts (copy character details across, log in, form team from you and 'your alt of choice' and then leave them idling while you go murder stuff).
Jane_Denton
X-51

Post by Jane_Denton »

DDL wrote:
Jane_Denton wrote: Is it possible to coop an existing character one has created in Borderlands and use it in coop?
If by that you mean, can you use single player characters in coop (and vice versa) then yes. There is really no difference between SP and MP character handling (you can actually play the entire game through in online coop mode, on your own: the only difference is you can no longer pause). The quest list is inherited from the person hosting, though, so it's usually better to go for the lower-levelled dude as host.
Ahhh gtk. Although what is this about not being able to pause? How can one take pee breaks or run to the fridge? That hardly sounds humane! :giggle: I can pause when I'm in Left4Dead during COOP...

Funny how some games vary... I certainly like the COOP simplicity in L4D, even when starting a COOP game is more simple. I didn't like how it's done on Killing Floor.
DDL

Post by DDL »

Well, since other people would still be running the game (it being coop) they'd have to sit there staring at a "pause" screen while you were off peeing. Plus you'd probably get griefing. So so much griefing. Remember, people are dicks.

So..you can pause L4D? I always just dashed off to the loo and assumed that if I spent too long I'd either be A)zombie food or B)AI-controlled by the time I got back.
Jane_Denton
X-51

Post by Jane_Denton »

DDL wrote:Well, since other people would still be running the game (it being coop) they'd have to sit there staring at a "pause" screen while you were off peeing. Plus you'd probably get griefing. So so much griefing. Remember, people are dicks.

So..you can pause L4D? I always just dashed off to the loo and assumed that if I spent too long I'd either be A)zombie food or B)AI-controlled by the time I got back.
I was playing with a friend once and he was doing laundry and he would take off for a bit to do whatever he needed to do and the AI would take over his character if he became idle. I forget how long it takes before you go idle... I don't think very long.

Most times though I'll let someone know if I have to step away for a sec... and pause the game. Almost always it they've taken the opportunity at the same time to go to the kitchen etc...
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

The difference is Left 4 Dead is a strictly linear game whereas Borderlands is more open. This means:
  1. The AI has an easier time playing the game because it always knows which way it's supposed to be going.
  2. An idle player will make the game virtually unplayable because you depend on each other so much in L4D, whereas in Borderlands a player can just idle in the town while the other players run out and kill some creeps.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Jane_Denton
X-51

Post by Jane_Denton »

Jonas wrote:An idle player will make the game virtually unplayable because you depend on each other so much in L4D
When I was playing L4D it wasn't the case. Ryan (friend I was playing with) took forever to come back from the dryer or wherever he was... and his character said IDLE above his head... so for the heck of it I just started playing to see what would happen and his character just turned into the puter as if I was playing single player. So in my case it wasn't unplayable.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Yes that's precisely what I'm saying. The AI has to take over because just having the character (as well as the player) stand idle would fuck over the other players.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

Jonas wrote:Yes that's precisely what I'm saying. The AI has to take over because just having the character (as well as the player) stand idle would fuck over the other players.
Hahah, well I stumbled on your words too, even when you were like "yeah, that's just what I said!" =P Dunno what's up with that, but something about the way you broke it up into two points made me confused.

Anyway, on the harder levels of Left4Dead, you still get fucked if your friends let the AI take over....

Sounds like a lot of people here have it. We should play sometime, kill some zombies, have some fun.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I did phrase it poorly, so I'm not blaming either of you for getting it wrong. Just wanted to clarify :)
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Jane_Denton
X-51

Post by Jane_Denton »

Jonas wrote:I did phrase it poorly, so I'm not blaming either of you for getting it wrong. Just wanted to clarify :)
Well I'm not one to point out your poor phrasing... :P

On an entirely different note... What is up with Steam!? Now on FB and on the Steam client News Feed it says that there are games on sale that clearly aren't! And there is a rumor going around that Steam has been hacked and that's why the news feed is showing games that aren't actually on sale.

Just add this to the long list of screwiness I've been experiencing lately with the client... <_<