What are you playing?

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

shadowblade34
MJ12

Re: What are you playing?

Post by shadowblade34 »

gamer0004 wrote:That doesn't mean everybody has the same opinion, obviously... Shadowblade, why didn't you like Oblivion and why do you like Skyrim?
Well, Skyrim has a feels grand and spectacular, whereas Oblivion felt bland at most parts. The skill and leveling up system is nowhere near as good as Morrowind's but better than Oblivion's. The main story is interesting so far, unlike Oblivion. It just feels like a very deep (not complex) RPG game, with many choices and freedoms.

Maybe this screenshot will express my opinion.
What the heck are you looking at my signature for?Read my blog
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

gamer0004 wrote:Hm. This doesn't sound very good. Still on the fence about buying it.
Right now, I'd tell you to wait for a (steam) sale. There's no way to justify paying full price for the game in its current state on the PC, and no way to justify buying it on consoles because you miss out on mods.

The game seems to have some level scaling too. I'm not entirely sure, but some enemies and most loot seems to scale.

I have to say I like the crafting stuff, other than some p significant balance issues(It's really hard to keep your crafting skills on par so that you can actually use them to gain better stuff than you find in loot). It's actually pretty involved with mining ores/hunting for leather and then making and improving it and enchanting.

Removing of spell crafting kinda sucks though. I still prefer to use the spells I started out with, despite having received higher tier ones. The ridiculously high mana/damage ratio of all high level spells just isn't justified for their ability to burst down health, especially since the starting spells seem to have higher sustain anyway.

Combat is basically oblivion except you now have to ration your power attacks so as to not run out of stamina. An improvement, but its still not very fun as it still feels very much like you're just flailing uselessly at the enemy to watch their healthbar go down.

I totally got stuck at a puzzle in the mages guild questline. As far as I can tell, the stuff I need to solve it isn't rendering properly, so there's nothing I can do :/
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
VectorM
MJ12

Post by VectorM »

I would like to point out, in the name of not being full of shit (like Jaedar), that the issue with mouse clicks and the interface has been resolved with the day one patch of the game. So, basically, if you actually bought the game (or was at least smart enough to also download the cracked version of the patch, unlike some people), that issue won't exist. The interface is still a console one, there is no escaping that, however, it is VERY efficient when I use it with the keyboard. All the keys for the inventory and stat screens are around the WASD keys and it works like a charm, for me at least, since, you know, it would be retarded to assume, that if it works for me, then it must necessarily work for everyone else 8)
There's no way to justify paying full price for the game in its current state on the PC
Yeah, how can ANYONE justify paying full price for HUNDREDS of hours of content and mod support for a game, that has interface that you need 30 minutes to get used to, I mean, c'mon people GET YOUR PRIORITIES STRAIGHT :shock:
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

VectorM wrote:I would like to point out, in the name of not being full of shit (like Jaedar), that the issue with mouse clicks and the interface has been resolved with the day one patch of the game. So, basically, if you actually bought the game (or was at least smart enough to also download the cracked version of the patch, unlike some people), that issue won't exist. The interface is still a console one, there is no escaping that, however, it is VERY efficient when I use it with the keyboard. All the keys for the inventory and stat screens are around the WASD keys and it works like a charm, for me at least, since, you know, it would be retarded to assume, that if it works for me, then it must necessarily work for everyone else 8)
There's no way to justify paying full price for the game in its current state on the PC
Yeah, how can ANYONE justify paying full price for HUNDREDS of hours of content and mod support for a game, that has interface that you need 30 minutes to get used to, I mean, c'mon people GET YOUR PRIORITIES STRAIGHT :shock:
No _you're_ full of shit! Just to even it out. But really, it's perfectly pointless to say things like that.
Anyway, "hundreds of hours of content" doesn't mean I'll pay for it. Big rigs over the road racing offers probably dozens of hours of gameplay but I would never pay for it. It's quality that counts, and quantity starts to matter only if a game is good in the first place.
Dragon
Silhouette

Post by Dragon »

VectorM wrote:(...) WASD keys (...)
One of the problems right there.
How about if you deliver a buggy shit that plays like shit and is not fun to play because of all the crap they put in? That IS a good reason to not pay the full price. It's a simple economics rule. A customer gives you the money if the return is of high enough value to justify exchanging money for it. These are professionals. If they want my money they have to give also quality and not hype-crap mixed with more bad design choices and bugs than one can possibly sustain. If I pay I expect quality. Here this is not the case. And no, I give a rats ass on hyper-super-duper-fucking-graphics-shit if the story and game mechanics stick out of their ass and you see huge holes where they ripped good stuff (from early games) out and glued in a non-fitting piece of frickle-ware <.=.<

EDIT: Got cross-posted... #-o
Leader and Head Programmer: Epsylon, Drag[en]gine Game Engine (Alt-Page) and others
Zaine
UNATCO

Post by Zaine »

Truthfully, I liked Morrowind the best out of all the games so far. There was plenty for me to do in it and I loved to just go explore. You couldn't finish it with a level 1 character and the world was so creative and unique that I rareky used fast trael. However it was hard for me to find all the different feaures of the game such as the Arena fights, assasination missions, and other such quests. I didn't even find a Daedric Quest! (I just found about those recently) That game lasted me years and I loved it. Oblivion however was better at features such as combat and it was easier to find he things you could do but it felt smaller. I also didn't really like the landscape so I fast traveled a lot. Didn't like the leveling system either. I'd still play ity but to me it was just an ok game. Howver Skyrim was sounding good to me but im not certain now. I can't decide on which to get first now, Saints Row The Third (With Genki DLC) or Skyrim.
You Will Regret This!
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

You know, I always consider ignoring Vector every time I see one of his posts. But then I remember It's more fun to laugh at him than living in ignorance.
odio ergo sum
VectorM
MJ12

Post by VectorM »

Dragon wrote:
VectorM wrote:(...) WASD keys (...)
One of the problems right there.
How about if you deliver a buggy shit that plays like shit and is not fun to play because of all the crap they put in? That IS a good reason to not pay the full price. It's a simple economics rule. A customer gives you the money if the return is of high enough value to justify exchanging money for it. These are professionals. If they want my money they have to give also quality and not hype-crap mixed with more bad design choices and bugs than one can possibly sustain. If I pay I expect quality. Here this is not the case. And no, I give a rats ass on hyper-super-duper-fucking-graphics-shit if the story and game mechanics stick out of their ass and you see huge holes where they ripped good stuff (from early games) out and glued in a non-fitting piece of frickle-ware <.=.<

EDIT: Got cross-posted... #-o
Once again, since HE doens't like it, therfore, the game is simpy of bad quality and anyone that likes it, simply likes a shitty game :roll:
You know, I always consider ignoring Vector every time I see one of his posts. But then I remember It's more fun to laugh at him than living in ignorance.

Knowing you, you probably don't even know how to ignore people. And once you fail to find the option form the get go, you will just assume it doesn't exist and will start blaming the forum for the lack of options.
Last edited by VectorM on Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Come on Man, let it all out. Show me all of your delicious butthurt :(
odio ergo sum
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

The main story is interesting so far, unlike Oblivion. It just feels like a very deep (not complex) RPG game, with many choices and freedoms.
The concept of choice in this game only exists in the form of you either pass, or you fail- there's not much consequence from what I've seen if you completely fuck a quest up, the only thing that happens is you don't get any reward for doing the quest if you messed up, the game hasn't acknowledged much of my actions other than "you really messed up" and moved onto the next quest. The only exception is if you sabotage an economic structure, which changes the prices in the town, that's it basically.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Guys, in the interest of not giving any reasonable member of this forum an aneurysm, could we maybe moderate our discourse a little? I know I wasn't helping before, but seriously - tone it the fuck down a bit.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

I just want to say as well, from a QA standpoint I completely agree with this. What Bethesda has and continues to put out does not justify the prices they are charging. The consumer deserves better than this, there are far too many bugs in all their games, support is usually abandoned pretty quickly in favor of DLC creation. Given how big and bloated their budgets have become, why hasn't their QA team expanded and why hasn't the quality of the product (stability wise) improved? Dragon is right, we have to have standards, if we go out and buy games when they first come out and their buggy as fuck, we're just encouraging them to keep doing it, this is how publishers think, that if the game sells heaps during the initial release, then everything is fine and nothing has to be changed or fixed. I've encountered that thinking before in my work, its a bad way at looking at your product and it really treats the consumer with no respect at all because you just assume they'll buy it again at release every time.

If you made the kinds of money that Zenimax makes, you'd be reinvesting into your products to make it better, not suing Indies just because their game has a word that is in your game's title. We've seen no improvement stability wise at all, and this is always the thing that many criticise Bethesda for, but rabbid idiot fanbois dismiss as being "Character" or "in-jokes" or "Charm" eg. Gamespot's review of Skyrim he just dismisses the bugs as "Fine" because previous games had them as well, that's a shit outlook the customer paid for quality, these are major issues and they need to be fixed.

When you've worked on a game, your thinking on bugs does change significantly, it annoys you a hell of a lot more than it should. Its both a gift and a curse, a gift because it means you make better games, but a curse because you can't enjoy the things other people do because you see it much differently.
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

Well, I am interested in the reviews (based on how much a discount is needed for purchase. Not forgotten Oblivion), but maybe seperated into it's own thread if too much here?

For me, I am playing The Force Unleahsed II and Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II The Sith Lords M4-78Expansion Project (EP)
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Oblivion huh? Well prepare to laugh you guys. :P

I bought a compilation set of Bioshock and Oblivion when it was on Sale last year, coz the Steam version of Bioshock was so unstable. I never had any intention of playing Oblivion, but since I won't be playing Skyrim for a bit, and I haven't played a any of TES's games, I'm thinking of giving it a go. It's installed and patched, and I've spent many hours tracking down mods and utilities for it. They're all ready for installation, so, if nothing else, it'll be furthering my education...or insanity. :)
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
shadowblade34
MJ12

Post by shadowblade34 »

Mr_Cyberpunk wrote:
The main story is interesting so far, unlike Oblivion. It just feels like a very deep (not complex) RPG game, with many choices and freedoms.
The concept of choice in this game only exists in the form of you either pass, or you fail- there's not much consequence from what I've seen if you completely fuck a quest up, the only thing that happens is you don't get any reward for doing the quest if you messed up, the game hasn't acknowledged much of my actions other than "you really messed up" and moved onto the next quest. The only exception is if you sabotage an economic structure, which changes the prices in the town, that's it basically.
One thing that really amazed me was randomly doing a Shout after killing the first dragon when I was speaking to the Jarl in Dragonsreach. A little while later, a courir came to me with a letter saying that the Shout I demonstrated in Dragonsreach was amazing...

I did the shout of my own free will. Did anyone else get the letter?
What the heck are you looking at my signature for?Read my blog