What are you playing?

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: What are you playing?

Post by Jonas »

Oh yeah Risen 2 is out. Cool. It's definitely on my play list, but my backlog is growing steadily, so I won't be buying it until I know I'll have time to play it.

Since I finished ME3 a while ago, my backlog looks like this:
  1. Assassin's Creed: Revelations (playing now)
  2. L. A. Noire (was playing before ME3, must return to it after AC:R)
  3. Rocksmith (I expect it'll be sort of an ongoing thing, more like guitar practice than gaming)
  4. Sniper Elite 2 (should be out by the time I finish AC:R and L. A. Noire)
  5. Legends of Grimrock (I'll continue playing it on and off - may stop playing when I get to the spiders though)
  6. Diablo III (will be playing it on the PCs at work, with the colleagues)
I'm enjoying AC:R quite a bit, but it definitely seems like an intermission - sort of a thing to tide us over while they were figuring out what they wanted to do for AC3. The den defence thing is reasonably entertaining, but I'm having a bastard hard time beating the third one, and I'm glad you can lock your dens down against attack because this would get pretty tedious otherwise. I really love how they expanded on the assassin guild management system. My only real gripe so far is that I kind of broke the unlock sequence of the game - because I focused completely on building up my guild before I really started doing most of the main quests, I've already got the best armour and the best sword in the game, while only the first couple of items have been unlocked in the stores <_<
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Would you mind giving your impressions of L.A. Noire when you've finished? I've read conflicting impressions by people who's opinions I respect. It's either great, or the main character is a berk depending who you read. :P
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

The main character is... bland. I don't really have a problem with him, but he sure wasn't an interesting character. I'll let you know if my opinion has changed when I'm done with the game ;)
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Cheers Jonas.

In other news: I thought I'd give Crysis 2 a whirl on "Post Human Soldier" difficulty. If you stick to stealthing it doesn't seem that difficult. The combat I've dabbled in is a bit more challenging though.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Jonas wrote:Legends of Grimrock (I'll continue playing it on and off - may stop playing when I get to the spiders though)
Spiders start appearing at level 3 iirc, so you won't see much of the game if you end at that point.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

May have to get a friend to play through that part for me then - unless they make regular appearances throughout the game like in Dark Messiah? :/
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Jonas wrote:May have to get a friend to play through that part for me then - unless they make regular appearances throughout the game like in Dark Messiah? :/
Yup, they appear from time to time :twisted:. They get kinda rare, but they don't disappear completely.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Well I enjoyed the first few levels, I guess that's it. I have more modern and better-looking games to play, anyway.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Well, given that your 'less than keen' attitude to GIANT DEATH SPIDERS THAT WANT TO KILL YOU is...far from unique to you, I did a cursory search and found this:

http://www.grimrock.net/forum/viewtopic ... 6&start=20

there will probably be other, less hacky ones soon. Hopefully ones that give them top hats and monocles, too.. :)

Also, I was amazed at how fucking "angry internet man" some people were getting in response to a request for 'no spiderz plz'.

"Why are they requesting such a ridiculous thing rather than seeking professional cognitive therapy?"

...seriously, wat
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

DDL wrote:
Also, I was amazed at how fucking "angry internet man" some people were getting in response to a request for 'no spiderz plz'.

"Why are they requesting such a ridiculous thing rather than seeking professional cognitive therapy?"

...seriously, wat
I wonder how they would feel if their kryptonite was placed in a game? I mean if a steaming pile of maggots was between me and the "ultimate" weapon, it'd be: "I don't need that anyway". :D

Also, the morphed spider mods are usually the first mods made for games that have * 'em.

* Mods I mean, I guess spiders would also work. :giggle:
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Hm I wish they had some screenshots so I could see the result, since a lot of these no-spider hacks are... really awful. I mean all frost spiders in my Skyrim playthrough showed up as non-animated mudcrabs, they would kind of slide across the ground, I couldn't tell when they were attacking or whether I was hitting them, and I had no idea whether they were dead or alive because they had no animation.

But fuck it, I'll take that chance. Can't be worse than the spiders themselves.

Bobby: I'm not saying your maggot problem isn't a full-on phobia, but you can't assume that these people have a similar phobia of their own. I believe arachnophobia is one of the most common phobias (along with, presumably, claustrophobia and acrophobia), and for these people to be so vehemently unsympathetic towards arachnophobes, I would guess they haven't experienced the primal terror of a real deep-seated phobia. It's quite the thing :P
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

It's not a phobia as such, just a stomache churning revulsion type thing. My mum is a fully blown arachnophobe so I know it ain't no small thing to those who have it. :)
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

Yup. Lots of people have phobias, and even ones with phobias themselves won't necessarily recognize other phobias than their own. People with acrophobia for instance won't necessarily be willing to accept that arachnophobia is the same type of deal.

I have a pretty big revultion towards centipedes and millipedes myself, so I do curse whenever those are included. The Chitaurs of Skyrim notwithstanding.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

I'm considering buying a new Microphone for my computer as the one on my headset is fairly poor quality. Any suggestions to brands or models?
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

nerdenstein wrote:I'm considering buying a new Microphone for my computer as the one on my headset is fairly poor quality. Any suggestions to brands or models?
You after a standalone or a mic/headset? I'm a fan of Logitech peripherals. Bear with me while I attempt to get a couple of links up.

The standalone. It's okay for general use. http://www.zdnet.com/reviews/product/mi ... r/30399343

These are my current ones. The sound is great, and the mic is more than adequate. A warning though: I've had them a couple of years and the coating on the padding for the ear pieces is degrading and kinda flaking off. http://www.officeworks.com.au/retail/pr ... /INLOG4404