What are you playing?

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Re: What are you playing?

Post by DDL »

No jumping in DayZ, on the other hand.

....just horrifically floaty mouse control, terrible collision detection and the most counter-intuitive control scheme I've ever encountered.

It's a fantastic idea, and magnificently implemented, but holy jesus fuck did they choose an awful, awful game to make it in.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Jaedar wrote:
bobby 55 wrote:It certainly is a great game and Tuchanka is wow, just_wow.
No offense bobby, but you may wish to witness the whole game and not just its peak before you make any sweeping statements about its quality as a whole :P
No offense taken. It's just that even if I stopped playing now I'd feel like I got my money's worth. I realize I still a have a bit to do, and of course the ending to witness, but I'm already thinking of the things Renegade Jane will be doing differently to Paragon John. :P
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
shadowblade34
MJ12

Post by shadowblade34 »

DDL wrote:No jumping in DayZ, on the other hand.

....just horrifically floaty mouse control, terrible collision detection and the most counter-intuitive control scheme I've ever encountered.

It's a fantastic idea, and magnificently implemented, but holy jesus fuck did they choose an awful, awful game to make it in.
It's probably the only game they could have made it in. I've not actually encountered any problems with the game. Controls are fine for me, and I haven't experienced any collision issues.
What the heck are you looking at my signature for?Read my blog
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

There's plenty of games they could've made it in. This one was just less work.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Well, I don't agree that 99% of me3 is brilliant. Tuchanka is really the only part that is that good. The stuff before that is boring and pretty nonsensical, the stuff after is disjointed and so very contrived.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

You are entitled to your opinion :giggle:
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
shadowblade34
MJ12

Post by shadowblade34 »

I don't really like the whole series.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

You, on the other hand, can go stick your stupid goddamn ass-backwards opinion where the sun don't shine!
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

The Mass Effects are an investment I believe. I'm not talking monetary value, although the three games and DLCs add up to a tidy sum. They're an investment of your time, and an emotional investment with regards to the characters (liked and disliked). When Shepard climbed out of the rubble in ME 1, I discovered that I liked him...and later, her.

I know enough to realize there's going to be a bit of heartache by the time I get to the finale, but that won't stop the Mass Effect series from being my favorite franchise.
shadowblade34
MJ12

Post by shadowblade34 »

Jonas wrote:You, on the other hand, can go stick your stupid goddamn ass-backwards opinion where the sun don't shine!
Would somehowhere like a shadow do fine?
I like the first Mass Effect, and that's it. The other two I don't like at all.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

shadowblade34 wrote:I don't really like the whole series.
From my admittedly limited experience with it (I played most of ME2) I agree. I think the writers spent too much time on writing generic sci-fi backstory rather than trying to make the overall game story genuinely interesting. The few parts of the game that were quite good were overshadowed by the rest of the game which was just dull.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Rannoch. :cry:
DDL

Post by DDL »

shadowblade34 wrote: It's probably the only game they could have made it in. I've not actually encountered any problems with the game. Controls are fine for me, and I haven't experienced any collision issues.
Well, just stay away from other people, then: bumping into an ally can break your legs. No, seriously.

Also, doors. Doors are the enemies of all. I died several times because the game simply failed to handle the complicated task of 'letting me walk through a doorway while crouched'.

On the bright side, zombies are equally shit at doors, so once you get a doorway between you and them, things improve...
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

bobby 55 wrote: I know enough to realize there's going to be a bit of heartache by the time I get to the finale, but that won't stop the Mass Effect series from being my favorite franchise.
Good for you.

I guess it kinda depends on what kind of a person you are. But for me, the ending can tarnish everything that came before that. Not if it's "rocks fall everyone dies" like in nwn2, becoz that doesn't ruin anything for me even if it isn't a good ending. But when the ending is an inconsistent mess that's at odds with the rest of the thing(aka lost style) it can really ruin the whole thing for me. Then again, I'm also that kind of person that rages every time something gets retconned or is highly inconsistent.

in short: MAAATTT WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARD
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
shadowblade34
MJ12

Post by shadowblade34 »

DDL wrote:
shadowblade34 wrote: It's probably the only game they could have made it in. I've not actually encountered any problems with the game. Controls are fine for me, and I haven't experienced any collision issues.
Well, just stay away from other people, then: bumping into an ally can break your legs. No, seriously.

Also, doors. Doors are the enemies of all. I died several times because the game simply failed to handle the complicated task of 'letting me walk through a doorway while crouched'.

On the bright side, zombies are equally shit at doors, so once you get a doorway between you and them, things improve...
I was playing in a group on Saturday, and I frequently bumped into my friends, my legs did not break.
And I've not had any problens getting through doors while crouched, or even under onstacles by crawling. In fact, we've all had a very smooth experience.