Laptop Coolers - What have you got? What's good? - VOTE...

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Jane_Denton
X-51

Re: Laptop Coolers - What have you got? What's good? - VOTE...

Post by Jane_Denton »

justanotherfan wrote:I should mention, my specialty tape worked excellently ;-)

Yep, I did a lot with wireless adapters. I hate the damn things. Wireless is so unpredictable, unreliable, and annoying. Anyway, for myself, I'd never buy that adapter. It has a tiny internal antenna, low power rating, and it isn't upgradable. The laptop itself will usually have a larger built-in antenna than a USB stick. I've seen small adapters like that fail to get a signal from room to room.

I went with the original version of this-
http://www.data-alliance.net/-strse-158 ... Detail.bok

Mine is the old 500mw version, and I suddenly want an upgrade. Very compatible Realtek chipset that works in Windows, OSX86, and Linux. I put a thirty something dbi antenna dish on it, but their 9dbi antenna works just as well considering the antennas used on routers. The extra 15$ 9dbi antenna is 3x the length of the one that comes with it, so it can look a bit goofy, and the ~2in one it comes with is great for day to day use.
If size and price are an issue, here's a more compact version-
http://www.data-alliance.net/-strse-61/ ... Detail.bok
Good to know. I checked them out. Would like something with that range.

Here's the kicker though.... I tried several different brands of wireless adapters that the college had only one worked with windows 7 64bit. Which was the LinkSys. The less well known adapters won't have registered drivers with Win764... which is a nightmare. The trendnet one I tried installed fine, but Win7 would not let it work and blocked it, though if I rebooted and disabled the driver security in bootup then it would work. It's a pain to do everytime I boot up, those setting aren't permanent...

I would have to disable the driver security every time I booted windows, and that was a nightmare using VMWare that I eventually just deleted that program on my laptop. :x

I know with Linux you have a lot more flexability with your drivers. I searched for the Alpha on the pricebat.ca site and came up with nothing... so it's likely it's not well known enough to work with Win764 driver security. :cry:

Do you have any thoughts though as to why my wireless card stopped working? Then suddenly started again. It wasn't that the wireless was down... everyone else had theirs just fine with a strong signal.
Who we are is but a stepping stone to what we can become...
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Oh, difficult. I'm afraid I have no experience with Windows 7, let alone the 64bit version of it or that "driver security". That site lists Windows 7 as being compatible, as with 64bit Vista, but I wouldn't know about Win-7-64bit. I even have trouble configuring wireless security occasionally in Windows, when WEP2 passwords stop working for no reason and I need to redo the profile.

I've seen networking on Windows completely fail for no reason, but that was mostly in Windows 2000 and previous. There's a switch on most laptops that can quietly disable the internal wireless to save battery power, and it's easy to forget or not notice it. There could be a loose connection inside the laptop (unlikely), maybe to the internal antenna. It could be some sort of security software messing with networking. Maybe some sort of BIOS configuration issue, although that probably wouldn't sporadically resolve itself, not since the days of IRQ conflicts. It's probably just an issue with Windows 7. My advice would be to uninstall any software that messes with networking (Norton etc.), disable unused services and startup programs, and update any networking drivers.

I like the crazy long distance adapters, though they would have to be ordered from the states. I've found that if there is a signal, a high powered adapter can make it fast even at a long distance. Connections don't drop anymore, the higher power muscles out any interference from other wireless devices, and I've seen it find dozens of access points when my old Alienware's internal 2200BG couldn't find anything. I forget what wireless I have now in the Lenovo, and although it works well, it can drop connections when in the same room as the AP. My crazy ~37dbi gain dish antenna can help, but if there's no wireless nearby it can't do any better than a decent antenna.
Jane_Denton
X-51

Post by Jane_Denton »

justanotherfan wrote:OMy advice would be to uninstall any software that messes with networking (Norton etc.), disable unused services and startup programs, and update any networking drivers.
Norton's messes with it, how? I'm using Norton 360... got it paid for free through a study grant! LOL

I removed all my virtual machine networks.....that was after it started working again though. It's still a mystery. There's a lot of hardware/software out there that say they are compatible with Win764bit... only because they have the drivers for them or pass off the Vista drivers as Win7 drivers. Although it doesn't guarantee they actually registered those drivers with Microsoft! <_<

I ended up ordering the Asus USB wireless N adapter ... I'll let you know how it works out. :-k The reason I went with it really was it was cheap with the price match and all the customer reviews said they were using Win7 64bit. I seemed to go on a bender and I also bought 3 different kinds of USB hubs too! :mrgreen: One is a Hippo!
hippo.jpg
:lol: The other looks like a stick man and the other is a standard 4 port hub. I have 4 USB ports on my laptop but with my cooler, my keyboard, a mouse, and my own flash drive... I don't have room for anyone! People are always wanting to stick their flash drives in my laptop... and I already got them full of my own crap... so with the hubs I'll have room for everybody! :lol: I got each one pricematched for only $5 each! Then I only had to pay $10 for express shipping for my whole order! O:) God I love online shopping!
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Cool USB hubs. I usually get whatever is cheapest, and has a port for an AC adapter. I'm using an i-Rocks 7 port, but it's having issues deciding whether my mouse is a battery device to be charged or an input device to show to the computer.

Norton was a decent name in the DOS days, and some would say even for Windows 95 (I wouldn't), but ever since then it's been more of a joke. I was just using it as an example, not actually thinking anyone had it anymore. Norton 360 includes "Firewall protection" "Network protection", which is probably protecting you from networking, for free. Be careful removing it though, perhaps over a weekend, since a client's PC had Norton on it about two years ago that was causing problems, and removing it disabled all networking completely, and one Norton component was left that couldn't uninstall itself. There's holy wars about what virus scanner to use, but I'm on one extreme end with ClamWin (clamwin.org), Spybot (safer-networking.org), a hardware firewall, and security practices, while others are usually on the Kaspersky or Free AVG (free.avg.com) side. I used to be on the other extreme with McAfee Enterprise, but that added an integrated firewall in the latest version a few years ago that caused issues here, and it missed a virus caught with ClamWin. I can understand using a software firewall on a laptop accessing 3rd party APs, but I wouldn't know what firewall to recommend. I haven't had that issue with Mint on the laptop. Windows software firewalls play around with Winsock, which can be fragile.
Jane_Denton
X-51

Post by Jane_Denton »

justanotherfan wrote:Norton was a decent name in the DOS days, and some would say even for Windows 95 (I wouldn't), but ever since then it's been more of a joke. I was just using it as an example, not actually thinking anyone had it anymore. Norton 360 includes "Firewall protection" "Network protection", which is probably protecting you from networking, for free. Be careful removing it though, perhaps over a weekend, since a client's PC had Norton on it about two years ago that was causing problems, and removing it disabled all networking completely, and one Norton component was left that couldn't uninstall itself. There's holy wars about what virus scanner to use, but I'm on one extreme end with ClamWin (clamwin.org), Spybot (safer-networking.org), a hardware firewall, and security practices, while others are usually on the Kaspersky or Free AVG (free.avg.com) side. I used to be on the other extreme with McAfee Enterprise, but that added an integrated firewall in the latest version a few years ago that caused issues here, and it missed a virus caught with ClamWin. I can understand using a software firewall on a laptop accessing 3rd party APs, but I wouldn't know what firewall to recommend. I haven't had that issue with Mint on the laptop. Windows software firewalls play around with Winsock, which can be fragile.
I won't be removing Norton's but I'm gonna do some research into the issue, at least it give me a new direction to look in.

ClamWin :lol: Sorry that program made me laugh... but we just did an A+ practical exam.... the "pretend" customer aka instructor put it on his machine... he set up the stand alone machine telling us he couldn't connect to the internet. ClamWin picked up 2 viruses. Mind you the instructor deliberately infected the entire machine with over 30 viruses (which wasn't easy for him to do in a stable controlled way so that we all had to fix the exact same problem). I had AVG free on a flash drive and scanned the machine at it picked up about 18 in total, and Kaspersky picked up the rest. However with that degree of infestation if it were a real life thing I told my pretend customer aka instructor that a format and clean install and creating a backup of the clean install would be the better way to go, since there are no guarantees that all the viruses were found and could reinfect the machine.

With Linux though viruses aren't as much of a problem as it is with Windows. Personally I never liked McAfee anything... it is a system sucker imo it's in complete competition with windows for system resources.

When I have time, maybe over March break I hope to finally get a chance to strip that old I got to put Linux Mint on it. I have Mint as a Virtual OS on my laptop but the screen is too small to use in the VM since Linux doesn't have anything over 800X600 for display settings. So I'm anxious to get it on my spare stand alone machine and actually get to use it. :mrgreen:
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Norton is McAfee now. It has been for some time, but IIRC they kept the original programs and branding for a long time (eg. Peter Norton's face on the box).

Clamwin is a baseline security sort of thing, along with Spybot, more of a double checking then preventative medicine. It's the kind of thing used to filter mail, to catch the obvious viruses that people get. Since it isn't a resident scanner, it uses no resources and interferes with nothing. Basically, with practicing proper computing security, you won't get viruses. Using Windows can put an asterisk on that, but some would argue that using Windows isn't being secure. I used AVG Free for years, but wasn't getting viruses. Kaspersky tends to have the highest detection rates in benchmarks, and AVG is free, but they aren't useful unless you're repairing clients computers who don't bother with security (eg. what the A++ person will be doing). For them, I'm a big fan of backing up their data files, doing basic scans (ClamWin, MemTest, disk checking), wiping everything, and reinstalling trustable updated software.
Jane_Denton
X-51

Post by Jane_Denton »

justanotherfan wrote:Norton is McAfee now. It has been for some time, but IIRC they kept the original programs and branding for a long time (eg. Peter Norton's face on the box).
I used to hate Norton (but gave it a second chance this time cause it was free)

Years ago I avoided it because it was so annoying! And ALSO a system hog. I have always liked Norton's Utilities though... that came in handy more than once... been thinking of buying a copy for win7...

Anyway... I just have to mention that I'm walking on my new treadmill while on my laptop typing this message.. :lol:

Yeah I'm addicted to my puter... but I miss my abs since this course started and turned me into a junk food freak! :shock:

Oh yeah I'm only speaking of Norton 360.... that I like... since I have no experience with Norton Antivirus except from the past when I hated it.

FYI... I like the fact that there is no conflict whatsoever between me having AVG 9 Free, and Norton 360 both on at the same time. :smile:
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

When I started with PCs in my day to day usage (I had been a Macintosh-only person doing some PC service), I went with AdAware, Spybot TeaTimer, McAfee, and for a while AVG Free. I even used ZoneAlarm in the beginning, but it always broke all networking. I stopped using McAfee when it occasionally broke networking. Stopped using AVG Free when it falsely identified a Python programming utility (probably py2exe or something) as a trojan, and would lock up the computer trying to delete it. Anything running is using memory and slowing things down a lot anyway, especially on old PCs. Since then, I've just avoided any resident program. I know it isn't as secure, but I haven't had any issues while being behind a firewall, running trusted programs, patching/updating, and not using IE, with other precautions of course. I think I can recommend that, but running Windows is always a risk anyway, so Windows Security is a fool's game and I'm a fool for playing.

I thought you might like this. I came across this issue myself. I know it looks like a boring advisory, but it is absolutely scathing for FOSS-
http://www.videolan.org/security/sa1001.html

Awesome post, but I have seen worse with other AV (eg. AVG). AFAIK, this next line is a lie, since ClamWin doesn't randomly scan files or do anything to interfere at all, unless the settings are manually set to "Infected Files: Remove (Use Carefully)" and the user runs the manual scan-
"Copy, installation and/or use of VLC media player or applications based on LibVLC may be impossible. "

It's already been fixed in the latest definitions, but that could be because of the advisory. Neither ClamAV or ClamWin appears to have responded yet, not even with a "It's fixed. Thanks for reporting the issue, but advising users against an antivirus because of a single false positive is a poor choice", which makes them look bad. Still funny.
Jane_Denton
X-51

Post by Jane_Denton »

Got my shipment today! The ASUS USB Wireless Network adapter works good! Signal is strong at school even though there is alot of concrete! Yay...
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=46387&amp;vpn=USB-N13&amp;manufacture=ASUS
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=46387&vpn=USB-N13&manufacture=ASUS

I got my 3 USB hubs too. One is completely defective and it's gotta go back, my USB man was a disappointment! The other two seem to work. The hippo one is neat cause it changes colors like a lava lamp! I'm scared to bring it to class though since the boys might wanna steal it from me, cause it's such a cool hippo and all... LOL

Oh I almost forgot... I sent that link about ClamWin to my instructor! :giggle:
Jane_Denton
X-51

Re: Laptop Coolers - What have you got? What's good? - VOTE.

Post by Jane_Denton »

Ordered a new sound card. I was fed up with the irritating habits of my onboard sound.... even the software to set up the speakers was crap!

I went with a moderately priced card (got it price matched too so it was cheaper).... don't have much money left... tooooo much online shopping! LOL Should get the job done I hope! :mrgreen:
SoundBlasterXFIXtremeAudio.jpg
SoundBlasterXFIXtremeAudio.jpg (93.07 KiB) Viewed 5513 times
http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku= ... ive%20Labs
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

I've never really got the point of sound cards. Can you actually tell the difference between the quality of the on-board sound and that of an expensive dedicated card?
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
Jane_Denton
X-51

Post by Jane_Denton »

Trestkon wrote:I've never really got the point of sound cards. Can you actually tell the difference between the quality of the on-board sound and that of an expensive dedicated card?
This was covered earlier in this thread but I can't find the page... LOL

It's not that I could notice a difference in sound. The reason I can't stand the onboard sound is for three specific reasons in my case.

1. Any game that has multiple voices the sound/game will stutter. Justanotherfan told me that some cards will only support up to so many voices.
2. I have a 5.1 surround speaker system and it plugs in the back, however I have to disable my front audio port in order for my speakers to work. It was a head ache figuring out that out since when I first bought the speakers and had my front audio port plugged into my mobo and the speakers wouldn't work I was thinking I was going to have to send them back! But then I unplugged the front port audio from the mobo and the speakers started working.
3. out of the blue suddenly the sound will go complete static whether I'm listening to music or a movie and I have to reboot the machine to correct it. Even having the drivers updated doesn't fix it, not that the drivers are updated ever! It's a good ASUS mobo... however the C-media onboard sound card is not even though it says it's 7.1 blah blah blah.
4. actually a forth reason is I've come across alot of stuff mentioning that the puter will perform better also... not sure if I'd notice that small of an improvement but if my games don't stutter and all that other stuff then I'll be thrilled!

So my choice to get rid of the onboard sound and get a separate sound card is for technical issues, not because I'm an audiophile. ;)
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

If you're using the analog jacks, yeah, there's a very measurable difference. It's especially important in professional audio, sensitivity and noise and crosstalk etc.. It can be heard in sample tones and maybe songs, but audiophiles are usually imagining a difference.

I use digital output, so it's just a matter of features, driver quality, and the speakers/receiver. I still don't like Creative, but they're popular.
Jane_Denton
X-51

Post by Jane_Denton »

Got my sound card yesterday. I installed this morning! YAY....

My first ever PCI-Express sound card....oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :P

Sounds great! I can actually hear all my speakers working! LOL =D>

Good Bye forever onboard sound!!! I won't miss your stutter or static! <_<