Firefox is nasteh

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Grammatolatry
MJ12

Firefox is nasteh

Post by Grammatolatry »

Over the past few weeks Firefox has been acting like a little bitch to me, which is odd, because usually we're the best of friends. It keeps freezing whenever a page heavy with pictures loads, and it's getting worse, just this week. D: It's already (Not Responding) 'ed 4 times just typing out this short paragraph, which is making me cross. My internet is up to speed; nothing wrong with the broadband, my computer has plenty memory....

Double-you Tee Eff is going on? :-s
wink wonk
Angel-A
UNATCO

Re: Firefox is nasteh

Post by Angel-A »

I feel great satisfaction reading that and thinking back to all those times the FF fans told me the only way to deal with Internet Explorer problems is switching to FireFox.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Grammatolatry wrote:Over the past few weeks Firefox has been acting like a little bitch to me, which is odd, because usually we're the best of friends. It keeps freezing whenever a page heavy with pictures loads, and it's getting worse, just this week. D: It's already (Not Responding) 'ed 4 times just typing out this short paragraph, which is making me cross. My internet is up to speed; nothing wrong with the broadband, my computer has plenty memory....

Double-you Tee Eff is going on? :-s
I've got Firefox and it does chew up my CPU usage occasionally, I dunno if that's your problem though.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

Angel-A wrote:...

I feel great satisfaction reading that and thinking back to all those times the FF fans told me the only way to deal with Internet Explorer problems is switching to FireFox.
Why, exactly? You found out that for a period of one week Firefox has been acting the way Internet Explorer has been acting for years on end. Bad for Firefox yes, but it doesn't stop IE from sucking and indeed sucking much more.

I switched to Firefox because Internet Explorer something other wasn't exactly compatible with Windows Vista, which I thought was the stupidest thing in the world. If the latest version of your internet browser will BSOD your latest operating system every time it is used for at least five minutes without fail that means you suck outrageously. It isn't quite on the level of an apple bug, but it is sad statement on the level of your competence. So I got Firefox and all worked well.

Updates since then have made IE and Vista get along, and I currently have the very latest version of IE since the computer updates it automatically. Every so often I'll hit the wrong button and use it. Also the university has it on their computers. Every time I have used it I have been left with the same impression: IE is a like a slower, more crashy, non-respondy, less advanced version of Firefox.

-

I was raised on Internet Explorer, but eventually the time comes to put away childish things. Just like how I don't use the Commodore 64 anymore and I haven't pulled out the reel to reel player in years.
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

I always used IE, I never had problems with it except for the amount of RAM it used. I once tried FF and thought "what is this piece of shit" and immediately uninstalled it. It was worse than something made by microsoft. How can anyone fail so badly? it used even more RAM and wasn't user friendly. I now use google Chrome; light and fast. But it does have too few options.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

*clear throat* To answer OP: Try defragmenting your hard-drive, clearing your cache(CTRLSHIFTDEL). It is probably a problem with your hard drive read speed, and not with FireFox itself. Over-zealous anti virus programs?

Oh and chris: You can disable the automatic IE updating if your canny :P I'm still using IE 5 (or is it 6?) on this computer.

And I havn't updated to the latest FF either, because the new version changes the tab system into something I feel is worse(I want all my tabs to open to the rightmost, not to the right of my current one).
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Jaedar wrote:And I havn't updated to the latest FF either, because the new version changes the tab system into something I feel is worse(I want all my tabs to open to the rightmost, not to the right of my current one).
I actually love the way Chrome/new FF opens tabs in related groups. Since I often read a bunch of news sites at once, it's nice to keep all the stories grouped when I open them all \o/
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Trestkon wrote:
Jaedar wrote:And I havn't updated to the latest FF either, because the new version changes the tab system into something I feel is worse(I want all my tabs to open to the rightmost, not to the right of my current one).
I actually love the way Chrome/new FF opens tabs in related groups. Since I often read a bunch of news sites at once, it's nice to keep all the stories grouped when I open them all \o/
Yeah, most people seem to prefer that. Not me though :)
odio ergo sum
Kee715
Illuminati

Post by Kee715 »

Grammatolatry wrote:Double-you Tee Eff is going on? :-s
No idea, sounds like the troubles I had with IE before I switched to Firefox.

How many addons are you using? What addons are you using? Did you get a virus? Are you CERTAIN you didn't get a virus? When did you last update Firefox? Have you tried reverting to the last version that worked for you? Are you using the beta versions or the regular builds?
Jaedar wrote:the new version changes the tab system into something I feel is worse(I want all my tabs to open to the rightmost, not to the right of my current one).
Do you know of a way to change that? I could've sworn older versions had that as an option to open to the right of the current tab or on the right of the bar...
gamer0004 wrote:I once tried FF and thought "what is this piece of shit" and immediately uninstalled it. It was worse than something made by microsoft. How can anyone fail so badly? it used even more RAM and wasn't user friendly.
*Fails to comprehend*
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

I always laugh when people call Microsoft stuff "user friendly", because to me, their user friendliness seems to entail a lot of handcuffs.
odio ergo sum
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

Chrome is better.
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

There's some stuff here that may help you "Howard"..... or not. I think the relevant info is towards the bottom of the page.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/alterna ... olved.html
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Jaedar wrote:I always laugh when people call Microsoft stuff "user friendly", because to me, their user friendliness seems to entail a lot of handcuffs.
They're like right in the middle of that scale. At the other end is Apple, which is so user friendly it's like they're tapping right into your brain for input, but rather than handcuffs, using their stuff is like living in an iron maiden (try to change position, and your testicles are skewered). Mozilla and Google are frankly shining beacons of usability compared to the real hard-core FOSS stuff such as every Linux distro I've used.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

I use Chrome, it's rather excellent but does pull down a lot of RAM resources.
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

I'm not satisfied with my Firefox.

I've had trouble transferring profiles between computers. Lately, a firefox update on OS X wiped all settings (NoScript whitelist, bookmarks, etc.). I'm glad they'll be isolating plugins since they've had issues here. I'll test out Iron (Chrome) and Konq when I have more time, but I don't think I can replace certain FF extensions that I use daily.

If you're having issues in Firefox, try backing up your profile, starting a new one, and transferring bookmarks back (also cookies and the keystore etc. if you wish). I'll be doing that myself soon. Also, disable plugins and extensions; suddenly I feel like I'm back on Macintosh System 6/7/8/9.