Work stories from hell >:K

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Grammatolatry
MJ12

Work stories from hell >:K

Post by Grammatolatry »

Today was the first worst day I've ever had at my normally lovely workspace: the video store. And of course, some retarded customers are to blame.

I walked in to find my co-worker the recipient of a tirade over how this branch has become too expensive, and that we must tell our boss that it will soon go out of business at these exorbitant prices. We must also tell the boss that we have lost a customer; she will instead go to the branch in such and such a place. Meanwhile co-worker and I, and other customer, were just standing there in disbelief, and after she left all three of us broke down laughing. Then all of a sudden she trots back in and shrieks at us "and you will lose your jobs because you are laughing!"

Actually this was an awesome way to start the day. It balanced out the crap that follows:

Two snotty young brats tried to take out GTA San Andreas, an R18. I said no. They asked if they could ring their mum and take it out with her permission. I said no. They say they do it all the time. I say tough. Then they turn their little noses in the air, and one actually says to the other: "let's take our custom down the road to the other store". LOL.

Then a few hours later their mater waltzes in, picks up the R18, plonks it down on the desk, and says she's going to take it out. The brats are right behind her, so it's an obvious lie, so I say it's illegal for them to play it. She gives me an eye and says it's not for them; she's going to play it. Yeah right. After telling her again that it's illegal to give it to her kids, I hand her the receipt and she actually walks out with her nose in the air.

I hope she gets whacked with the $10,000 fine. Grr...
wink wonk
bobby 55
Illuminati

Re: Work stories from hell >:K

Post by bobby 55 »

Heh, at least you can stop work when your shift's finished. She will always be a twerp. :D

I think my most sucky work days are the really quiet ones, when you keep watching the clock. They drag on and on, and by the end of the day I feel more worn out than on busy days.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Rex
Silhouette

Post by Rex »

What did you expect? A knight on white horse riding into store and killing evil mother? There is no justice in world.
I hope she gets whacked with the $10,000 fine. Grr...
Now what is bad in giving some 2 teens* a game for 18.. I highly doubt that game can change healthy, not crazed person's mind. It's just freaking idiotic excuses for bad parents, how the fuck can such trivial thing have a major influence for anyone's mind? Here: no such law, the pegi** - it's just few stupid marks, nothing else and we still live! No crazed idiots who play gta and go kill someone just after.

*How young were 'Two snotty young brats', if 14/15 or more, it's just the stupid rule, if something under 12, then it was right not to give them.
**European rating for games.
Jonas(about Rex and Jaedar) wrote:I'm not sure what the fuck just happened, but you guys managed to finally find a way to be too off topic for OTP, and when I tried to split the thread... I failed.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

It's actually illegal for kids to play R18 games in Zealand?

Wow.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Rex wrote: I highly doubt that game can change healthy, not crazed person's mind. It's just freaking idiotic excuses for bad parents, how the fuck can such trivial thing have a major influence for anyone's mind? Here: no such law, the pegi** - it's just few stupid marks, nothing else and we still live! No crazed idiots who play gta and go kill someone just after.

*How young were 'Two snotty young brats', if 14/15 or more, it's just the stupid rule, if something under 12, then it was right not to give them.
**European rating for games.
The question of whether the game is doing them harm or not is irrelevant. Grammatolatory gets caught handing it over and the store cops a whopping big fine, $50000-$100000. I don't think the manager would be overly impressed with that. The thing that pisses me off is that they had to have their way regardless.... and that mummy helped.
Rex
Silhouette

Post by Rex »

I don't say that she should break law, I mean that she wish mother get a fine of 10, 000 $ like she knows what is better for someone's kids and she bother mother with questions and warnings. It's like a seller in some tools shop saying 'I see that you are angry for this guy outside but it is illegal to kill someone with that screwdriver, get it? you sure? I hope you go to prison if you kill someone!' That's just bad reaction. And if she go to police office and report that.. I have no words, that's worst thing ever for her, that woman and the store.
Jonas(about Rex and Jaedar) wrote:I'm not sure what the fuck just happened, but you guys managed to finally find a way to be too off topic for OTP, and when I tried to split the thread... I failed.
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

Rex, Grama does know better than the mother because the mother is teaching her children that breaking the law is a good thing.

That is never a good idea. With very few exceptions it really doesn't matter what the law is. They tend to generalize. If you teach them that it's it is ok to break the rules/norms at a time when that is in their minds that's a lot of what morality is (and at that age stats say that is probably where they are) you're effectively throwing them back into a preconventional mode of moral thought instead of pushing them forward.

You're fucking with their brains mid development in a frankly moronic way. It's like taking someone in the concrete operations stage and trying to get them to believe that transitivity is a lie. You're not just stunting moral growth, you're actually putting effort towards reversing it (even though you probably don' realize that is what you are doing.). I have seen the results of this kind of fucking with a child's brain, it does not turn out well. It turns out far worse than the parents expect.

I think that there are multiple reasons that parents fuck up in this way, but two come to mind immediately.

The first is that parents often act as if their children are fully formed fully functional adults. This is a serious problem that extends far beyond what I'm currently talking about. (For example when parents yell or scream at an autistic child for failing to respond to their commands the way a non-autistic adult would it is because they assume, for no reason, that their child will act exactly like a normal adult.) In this case there's an assumption that kids see stupid laws the same way as an adult. I don't want to elevate adults too much here, adults are actually pretty fucking bad at distinguishing stupid laws from non-stupid laws, but adults in general are definitely better at seeing the difference than kids. Not necessarily because the adults are better at understanding such things, though in some cases they are, but instead because the tend to have more information on how things work and a better ability to account for non-immediate consequences.

At some point kids do need to learn that not all laws are good. But it is not a good idea to start off with, "Well I don't like this law," or, "If I break this law it won't hurt anyone," as rationales for disobeying a law. Those are the excuses people use to justify breaking good laws. Getting kids using them is not a wise idea. Rewarding kids for using them is not a good idea.

If you want to teach kids that laws are not always right start with something where you can appeal to a higher justice or the ideals of right and wrong. Teaching a kid that laws treating people as second class citizens because of their race/religion/gender/sexuality are bad laws that shouldn't be honored is a lesson a lot less likely to be misapplied than teaching him that a law saying you can't do something you want to do is something you can and should ignore.

The other reason doesn't really consider the kids' maturity, the laws, or anything else other than a sense of entitlement. Their kids deserve to get whatever the fuck their kids want.

The mother is fucking with her kids in a way that has nothing to do with ratings or warnings or games. The fact that she's fucking with the kids in this way for something as inconsequential as GTA San Andreas is a sign she's an ass. If you're going to fuck with your child's development you should have a better reason than a video game. You should have a better reason than any kind of entertainment.
Rex
Silhouette

Post by Rex »

Then I was a special kid perhaps, because even tho I played some brutal games under the suggested age(but:I didn't broke law) I'm normal. Then bigger problem is breaking a law then the crime? Then we can make anything bad.
"Well I don't like this law," or, "If I break this law it won't hurt anyone," as rationales for disobeying a law. Those are the excuses people use to justify breaking good laws.
Law against murder/theft/rape/mugging/physical violence/psychical violence/lie in court is a good law, how can you justify murder/steal/rape/attack/mugging/bulling/framing as 'not hurting anyone'?

And my point still is that like 17 years old person is not a LOT different from 18.
Making such laws is pointless, law like under 16 no brutal games - ok, but how will a 17,5 years old person feel when his parent get fine for brining him a stoopid game. Common sense is a unique thing today.
I have seen the results of this kind of fucking with a child's brain, it does not turn out well. It turns out far worse than the parents expect.
Then what about the countries in which there is no such laws? Parents get worse and worse because they want to government to do everything for them.

And we still doesn't know how old these damned kids from the story were!
Edit: You're right, look what we have down here because of violent games.. #-o
Last edited by Rex on Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

Is working hard? I'm only 14 and have not yet experienced it.
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

The sooner in life you learn that you can't have your own fucking way every time the less disappointment you will suffer at a later date.

@ Xesum: Depends on the job I suppose, but in general it's okay.
Rex
Silhouette

Post by Rex »

That sounded dangerous. Maybe let's better leave that matter, you won't convince me and neither will I convince you.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

What the fuck? The point is not the games. The fucking point is getting your own way by any means possible. What's next? Those kids can't afford a plasma tv so they break a store window to get one....and mummy will be driving the van they take it away in.
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

Guys, this is some of the most retarded reasoning I've ever seen. Just because they get their mother to buy an R18 game for them they are going to steal plasma tvs? Have I become a criminal because I got my friends to buy me liquor and weed (you need to be 18 to smoke here, and only since today I am 18 years old)? I can assure you that I have never ever broken the law.

And it is NOT a bad idea to break the law if the law is retarded. Obvious examples include Nazi-Germany and the Soviet Union. Teaching your children to think for themselves is always a good thing. Of course, this is probably not what happened. But it is even worse to always stick to the law just "because it is the law".
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

Eh, I've been playing GTA III since I was 12, and I bought it just in the store like that (and believe you me, I didn't look nowhere near 18).
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
Rex
Silhouette

Post by Rex »

What the fuck? The point is not the games. The fucking point is getting your own way by any means possible. What's next? Those kids can't afford a plasma tv so they break a store window to get one....and mummy will be driving the van they take it away in.
Well.. fuck. We have psycho here. You make law against games even more shit, if it was not in action, many kids who got their games from parents illegaly, would not commit crime in adult life!
And it is NOT a bad idea to break the law if the law is retarded.
It is bad idea because idiots can put you in prison.
Guys,
It was him, I tried to persuade him to let everyone alone as long as it don't hurt anyone.
weed
You mean marijuana? You're in Netherlands?
Last edited by Rex on Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.