StarCraft II Beta, topic + release date= July 27th

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Re: StarCraft II Beta, topic + release date= July 27th

Post by Jetsetlemming »

Ok, I tried vikings out, in a mix of a banshee fleet (taking this game too seriously to go all in on this unproven unit you see) and that went well.

The round was completely ridiculous. We pestered each other for a few minutes, neither gaining a particular amount of ground, until I sent my rushed banshees to go kill off his workers and at the same time he went a different path around and killed off my main base with siege tanks and marauders. I flew my command center to one of the islands in the corner of the map.
From there we both rebuilt our economy, except he apparently just kinda faffed about and stared at me across the gap between the island and mainland with a thor and some marauders, waiting to go all through the tech line to get Battlecruisers before actually attacking my base. I had vikings up though, and two vikings killed off two battlecruisers (partially because he took until the death of one to try and shoot back with the other, he was focused on trying to kill my SCVs (he got three), but they both still died within less than like six seconds).
Then I sent a medivac and some SCVs and secured the other island, built up an entirely air-based army, and swarmed the map with vikings and banshees (vikings mostly at this point to protect the banshees from other vikings), and wiped out every command center, then every scv, then every everything else from the map.
When I found his final outpost, and killed the vikings and thors defending it (he seemed to love buying the most expensive stuff available) he quit.

Total round time, 46 minutes. Who says no long games go on at Copper level :D

I'd upload a replay but sc2rc is down.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Bah, I played two games versus a friend and I lost both. One I lost horribly, because I have no idea how to counter a reaper rush(he just ate through my economy and then busted through everything I had with marauders). Second was a bit more even, but I still lost. Partly because I was afraid of another reaper rush, and wasted a lot of cash on that, and partly because I pushed to much and lost to many units. Still, it was fun, and I made him promise that I would get a rematch at some point in the near future :P. Would upload replays, but as JSL said, the site is down.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
JC_Helios
X-51

Post by JC_Helios »

So after many failures I think I've discovered my problems:

1: I suck at high tier games because of:
a: during any major battle I will stutter and freeze cause my comp sucks and that makes me unable to micro late game.
b: With all the unit selection I don't know what to choose or how to counter... Void rays are particularly hard for me to figure out.

2: I depend to much on my ally... not to win the game for me, but I depend on him being decent, and having a good strategy... most of the time I just get noobs who want to build a big army(or mass cannons) and just stand around in their base with it.

3: I have a serious obsession with Stalkers it would seem... I almost always end up massing them, and they seem to suck badly against air (especially voidrays)

4: When I do get into the high tiers it's very hard for me to mass high tier units. I think it's because of my gas issues and not building enough high-tier production buildings (I usually only build 2-3)
--------------------------------------

Anyway, after losing a few more games I finally got a good ally that agreed to rush with me, we won.

Then I got a sucky ally that wouldn't even reply to me so I just rushed anyway... took out the Terran enemy, got attacked by the Protoss enemy with Void rays, but fortunately I had a lot more stalkers than he had void rays. Eventually the the protoss player attacked me with DT's which gave him a short reprieve while I teched up to observers.

Around this time my zerg ally started actually helping with a mere handful of attackers. Eventually I used observer + blink to get a bunch of stalkers deep into his base, and then I brought in a warp prism to warp in stalkers to the back of his base. finished him off in no time...

The replay:
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

The key to countering void rays from what I've read is to scout early and often, and if you see the opponent teching up early for void rays build fast and cheap and rush him.
JC_Helios
X-51

Post by JC_Helios »

Jetsetlemming wrote:The key to countering void rays from what I've read is to scout early and often, and if you see the opponent teching up early for void rays build fast and cheap and rush him.
Yeah, in copper league there seems to be a lot of fast teching to void rays or other "instant win!" units. In the last replay the protoss player might have had a chance if he built 1 or more stargate and made more void rays, but then again when I looked at the replay he did seem to always have very little gas.

Anyway I guess the problem lies in reason number 2. Most of the time I scout very early in the game get ready for a rush and!.... quietly wait for my ally to decide to when he wants to attack.Then I get harassed by void rays while he and I put up some defensive efforts, but eventually the enemy breaks through and devastates me. Counter attack wins only seem to happen if the enemy is significantly worse than me.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

I've tried some 2v2 lately with a friend. Unfortunately, he's even more horrible at the game than I am, and we can never pull of any coherent strategy and just get stomped by huge waves of enemies.

Starcraft 2 is hard. But damnable entertaining, even when you lose.
odio ergo sum
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Double post: Jaedar sucks.

I played some more 2v2, and I discovered how to play protoss well with a terran ally: Zealots and Dark Templars. I recommend the second replay; shows how powerful a tech build can be.

Replay one: Me and pal versus two zergs. http://bit.ly/bYz0KZ
Inbed function seems to be disabled on the replay site.

Replay two: Me and friend versus two Protoss. I rush for DT's and... It's a complete massacre. I also overreact horribly to a scout getting in my base(if they had seen me going for DT's, we would have lost). http://bit.ly/cb6W4W

Also: my client freezes on exit :(
odio ergo sum
JC_Helios
X-51

Post by JC_Helios »

Jaedar wrote: Also: my client freezes on exit :(
Yeah I have that too with the new patch. I just ctrl,alt,delete and then end the process instead of normally exiting.
JC_Helios
X-51

Post by JC_Helios »

Well I won my third 2 vs 2 in a row and got my "streaking duo" achievement. I feel kind of bad though... I think I lagged my ally out when I nuked what was left of the zerg enemy's base. We could have won without the nuke, I just wanted to be flashy and try it out. He was a very good ally too; he agreed to rush, helped me defend my base against three attacks(rushing the terran player is just stupid since most early level units can't do shit to lifted off buildings.), and put up a good offensive too.

From now on I think I'm going to ask "any chance a nuke will make you lag out?" before even starting one.

Anyway here's the replay:
http://www.sc2rc.com/index.php/replay/show/4457
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

JC_Helios wrote:rushing the terran player is just stupid since most early level units can't do shit to lifted off buildings
When rushing, Aim for the workers before the buildings. Unless your enemy is teching, then you should prevent that.
odio ergo sum
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Finally got in through sneaky methods. Pre-Ordered from BestBuy online, recieved Beta key, cancelled pre-order :p

Trestkon.otp be me.
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

I feel so lonely on the European servers now.

Also: have a replay: I call this one: Base Rape Race (of doom)
http://bit.ly/cZM0t1
odio ergo sum
JC_Helios
X-51

Post by JC_Helios »

Some custom maps to help you get better at standard melee:
http://www.sc2mapster.com/maps/learnterran/ (haven't tried)

http://www.sc2mapster.com/maps/multitasking-trainer/ (have tried)

Basically there's a fully built Terran base above you, you start with the standard building, 4 works, 50 minerals, etc. To the right of you is some unit that you have to "save" (I think just pick him up with an air transport and bring him back to base.), and there's a probe being attacked by a zergling in the top right. The conditions for easy difficulty are:

Kill the enemy's command center
Don't let your minerals reach 1300
Don't let your probe (in the top right) die (if it dies it respawns, you get like 5-6 probes before it makes you lose.)
Save your executor(might be a different name for other races)
Time limit of 20 minutes
Enemy has a small force (small row of ghosts, marines, marauders, 2 tanks, and a few air units
The enemy won't attack.

For hard it's like:
8 minutes, less probe lives, the enemy sends waves of attackers, can't reach 800 minerals, etc.

I tried easy twice. First time my top-right probes ran out because I didn't micro enough.
Second time I had almost saved the executor, had a bunch of zealots attacking the command center, was busy microing my last top-right probe, and there was 1 minute left when *boop*"you lose for letting your minerals reach 1300. :(

EDIT:
Ooops, didn't realize there was a whole category for "training"... Most of it is just training how to use the editor type stuff:
http://www.sc2mapster.com/maps/?category=training
loony636
UNATCO

Post by loony636 »

Trestkon wrote:Finally got in through sneaky methods. Pre-Ordered from BestBuy online, recieved Beta key, cancelled pre-order :p

Trestkon.otp be me.
Oh u.

IIRC, isn't the beta being ended for a week, then restarted in a new, superior form?
JC_Helios
X-51

Post by JC_Helios »

A major patch was released today. You can now play custom games, 3 vs 3, 4 vs 4, some facebook thing, as well as the usual balance stuff.

EDIT:
1st 4 vs 4 game: an ally lags, he gets dropped. An enemy lags, he gets dropped. I start dropping, my two allies leave. I try to manage all 4 bases by myself. Send a decent force against a cannon noob. I drop.

1st 3vs 3 game: I was the only lagger in this game. Early on my zerg ally was going in for a rush but the attack force was destroyed by an enemy's zerglings. If only he had succeeded maybe one person being gone would have fixed my impending drop.

So currently it seems to be very laggy in 3 VS 3 and 4 vs 4 land.... Haven't been able to find any real custom maps, or publish any of the ones I have.