Heads up guys, Deus Ex 3 Trailer.

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: Heads up guys, Deus Ex 3 Trailer.

Post by Jonas »

Or maybe it'll just show off some actual goddamn gameplay ;)

According to Tom Francis (who is probably the biggest DX fan in the British games press, even beating Kieron Gillen), DX3 is spectacularly exciting. The next issue of PCG UK has a very large DX3 preview in it. The wait is going to be unbearable.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Jonas wrote:Or maybe it'll just show off some actual goddamn gameplay ;)

According to Tom Francis (who is probably the biggest DX fan in the British games press, even beating Kieron Gillen), DX3 is spectacularly exciting. The next issue of PCG UK has a very large DX3 preview in it. The wait is going to be unbearable.
Maybe you guys here could show them how to make a dev's video. Nothing too revealing has to be done. Just some game mechanics would probably suit a few people. Me, I'm already sold. :P
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I am not in a position to show the DX3 devs anything, and it kills me.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Jonas wrote:I am not in a position to show the DX3 devs anything, and it kills me.
No special consideration for people who have served the DX community for more then seven years even? That sucks.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Jonas wrote:Or maybe it'll just show off some actual goddamn gameplay ;)

This months Swedish PCG had a 4 page preview or something. It wasn't terribly exciting to be honest. And most of it was just cinematic pictures iirc.

Maybe UK one has more though, wouldn't surprise me.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Well, the music had some Deus Ex elements to it. "Corporations have more power than the government" can lead to DX at least, where corporations control the government.

Otherwise, bad ass trailer. The thing where he grabs the guys head, and does this spinning jazz hands move to twirl the guy, that was something. And where he used the force to create a lightning shield around him when he fell, that's right out of The Force Unleashed. And the jedi mind trick where the guy shoots himself.

The game-relevant things seemed to be that he's looking for something ("him"), there's a similar agent to work against, and there's a Worldcorp to work with and/or fight against. Otherwise, the trailer doesn't show much new. We knew there'd be surprisingly-futuristic and amazoring mechanical mods. At least we know they have cinematic talent.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

It looks like there may not be a game, but it will just be awesome cinematics interrupted by levels of pac man to determine what happens next.
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

justanotherfan wrote:And the jedi mind trick where the guy shoots himself.
Something a lot of people seem to not have picked up on is that Jensen appears to try to stop the guy shooting himself. My guess is that it was some sort of enforced "cyanide capsule" if you will - he was busted in the act of hacking something, so his augs kill him.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

Jonas wrote:This trailer means exactly this much to me:

Nothing.

This ain't no game trailer, it's a montage of some cinematics. Give me gameplay or fuck off.
I'm with EER on this, Jonas. It looks like that is the gameplay. You press play and then video plays. So you've already experienced the gameplay. It's not a trailer so much as a demo.

I mean, that's the most logical conclusion right? If it were any playing involved surely they would have shown it. Having a game trailer without gameplay is like having a comedy trailer without anything funny, the only reason you would leave something that important out of the trailer is if your product doesn't have it. So, no gameplay.

They have heard people's objections to gameplay aspects and decided to address those problems in the most efficent way possible: by removing all the gameplay.
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

Jonas wrote:
Something a lot of people seem to not have picked up on is that Jensen appears to try to stop the guy shooting himself. My guess is that it was some sort of enforced "cyanide capsule" if you will - he was busted in the act of hacking something, so his augs kill him.
Other than the cord in his head, he isn't augmented.

I'm not saying that Jonas is wrong, by the way. It's just that when I read that I thought that he had at least one augmented arm, with which he killed himself, and I had somehow missed it. I went back and looked at the video and saw that that was clearly not the case. It's a normal human arm. My first impression of the scene seems to have been accurate.

Anyway, the impression I had was pretty much the same as Jonas', Jensen was trying to stop the guy from killing himself against his own will. It's a pretty standard scene in any fiction with mind control, I'd be somewhat surprised if it doesn't have a TV Tropes page.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Well it is cheaper to buy a tv guide than a strategy guide. 2011 A Bob Odyssey.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Hey, it carried on the starwars theme, so I went with it. I agree, it does look like a mind-control mechanical thing; you can see the electricity. Not sure what Jensen is doing.

lol @ Chris explaining the trailer as the game. It is odd, to have a "trailer" for something that doesn't show the thing. It's like a movie preview with just the audio, or a dinner where you never eat and just watch the wait staff.
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Jonas wrote:
Early version of the killswitch, I'd guess.
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Xesum wrote:Hyperion's trailer should be Jonas under the influence of alcohol going on about the unique features of the game while slowly falling off his chair. Then he falls off and then it cuts to actual game footage and everyone will be like "wow" and then it'll show a planned release date with a drunk Jonas riding along on one of these:

How did you get your hands on our secret planning documents?!
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Trestkon wrote:
Jonas wrote:
Early version of the killswitch, I'd guess.
Yeah, that guy's eyes change colour which could indicate that. OMG that's definitely a tv trope. :mrgreen: