Music Suggestions

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

JC_Helios
X-51

Music Suggestions

Post by JC_Helios »

Weird that we have an "annoying music thread", but not a favorite music thread, or anything like that.... I could have sworn there used to be one.

*Background Rambling*
Anyway... I'm a gamer; in case that wasn't obvious, and I've never really been into music at all. I mean yeah music in video games would add to the atmosphere and I'd like it; also I'd hear music on the radio and I'd like it. I've just never been the type of person that pays it much mind, buys CD, devotes himself to certain bands, or anything along those lines.

Recently I've entered JobCorps, and I'm too paranoid and it'd be too much of a hassle to bring my computer there with me. As a result I've been occupying myself by listening to a MP3 player. My initial list of songs consisted of: TNM music, other deus ex mod music, Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines music, Killer 7 music, A Linkin Park Album(meteroa), and some misc songs from games as well as those that I just happened to have from my many years of travel on the web. It was about 65 different songs

After a while I wanted some more, and I had realized that I really liked Chiasm (The Asylum track from Vampire: Bloodlines), and I also decided to look into other albums by Linkin park, also I got some other songs from certain artist I thought I might like. Currently I have everything by Chiasm, and almost everything by Linkin park... My list has shot up to 224 now.
*END BACKGROUND RAMBLING*

The Dilemma: While I realize that I like Chiasm, and Linkin Park A lot of the other things I thought I might like really didn't do anything for me, and I was wondering if you fine forummites of the OTP boards could point me in a good directions after considering my preferences... Why do I ask you? Because surely we all have some similar tastes, I mean we all like Deus Ex's music don't we?

Preferences:
1:Electro
2: Rock/punk/metal that sort of stuff
3: Ambient (like most video game music).
4:Pop, and most other genres
Don't really like: Rap, and Country.

This is going to sound kind of emo, or geeky but some kind of subtle undertone theme of: mental illness, overcoming horrible things that happened to you, science, poltics, or technology. Those themes would be greatly appreciated, and will probably narrow things down considerably. Note the word subtle though... So no: Green Day (American idiot), Simple Plan (just about every song?), or Blue October (Just about every song?) Those examples tend to be way over the top with the Political, and emo themes respectively. The two bands I mentioned liking earlier should give you some kind of idea of what I mean. (if you know a number of their songs.)
EDIT: Gothic, and Punk themes would probably fit into what I'm talking about too.

Also, I almost forgot: "indie bands" would be appreciated too, but it's hardly necessary. It's just with mainstream bands I get this kind of thought process where I just think: "Well, I don't really need them because I could always hear them on the radio"

tl;dr Can anyone recommend me some good electro, rock, ambient, or just about anything not rap/country that is similar to Chiasm, Linkin Park, or game music?

Also feel free to use this topic however you want. You can ask people for suggestions for your preferences too, talk about music, list your own favorites, whatever.
Last edited by JC_Helios on Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kee715
Illuminati

Re: Music Suggestions

Post by Kee715 »

Ehrm.. I have no idea what "Electro" is... Is it like techno?

Aside from that, I don't really have any suggestions that fit the criteria...

So, just to make sure I can help in some way, do you have anything against classic rock or music pre-1970's?

Outside of those boundaries, I can only recommend a small number of songs/artists... :(
JC_Helios
X-51

Post by JC_Helios »

Kee715 wrote:Ehrm.. I have no idea what "Electro" is... Is it like techno?

Aside from that, I don't really have any suggestions that fit the criteria...

So, just to make sure I can help in some way, do you have anything against classic rock or music pre-1970's?

Outside of those boundaries, I can only recommend a small number of songs/artists... :(
Electronic, Electronica, Electro... Not sure what the most accepted term is. Techno is a sub-genre of electronic music. Admittedly Electro might be a bit vague, but I'm not too familiar with music, and I didn't want to specify a specific sub-genre because I don't really know what most of them mean, or imply.

No, I don't really have anything against older music. So long as it is good.
Kee715
Illuminati

Post by Kee715 »

JC_Helios wrote:Techno is a sub-genre of electronic music.
Oh, I only ever heard it all referred to as "techno."
JC_Helios wrote:No, I don't really have anything against older music. So long as it is good.
Okay, good. Let's see here...

[*] Mack the Knife (Bobby Darin sings it best IMO)
[*] Bobby Darin - Beyond the Sea
[*] Bobby Darin - Can't Take My Eyes Off You
[*] Bobby Darin - Splish Splash
[*] Frank Sinatra - Swinging on a Star
[*] Frank Sinatra - I Won't Dance
[*] The Andrews Sisters - Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy
[*] The Andrews Sisters - Bei Mir Bistdu Schoen (All of the song EXCEPT that line is in English)
[*] Bob Crosby - Dear Hearts and Gentle People
[*] Bobby Day - Rockin' Robin
[*] Johnny Rivers - Secret Agent Man
[*] Chuck Berry - Johnny B. Goode
[*] The Trashmen - Surfin' Bird
[*] Deep Purple - Smoke on the Water
[*] Kansas - Carry on Wayward Son
[*] Foghat - Slow Ride
[*] DEVO - Whip It
[*] DEVO - Watch Us Work It
[*] Men Without Hats - Safety Dance
[*] The Buggles - Video Killed the Radio Star
[*] The Buggles - Living in the Plastic Age
[*] Five Man Electrical Band - Signs
[*] The Vapors (I think, I'll have to double check) - Turning Japanese
[*] The Clash - Should I Stay or Should I go

I have more suggestions, but unless I get off my comp now I don't get cake. :(
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Kee's suggestion, Bobby Darin's Beyond The Sea....great song.

Here's two from a game that are rock. Borderland's opening and closing songs, I believe they're on Youtube so you can judge for yourself.

Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...Cage The Elephant
No Heaven...... D.J. Champion

Edit: Unless I'm completely missing what you're after, you could check out Electric Light Orchestra, they are rock and electric-ish... a great group from yesteryear.
Last edited by bobby 55 on Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
JC_Helios
X-51

Post by JC_Helios »

Kee715 wrote:
JC_Helios wrote:Techno is a sub-genre of electronic music.
Oh, I only ever heard it all referred to as "techno."
My dad let me use his e-music account, and they have 27 different styles of electronic music listed, techno being one of them. I just didn't want to make a guess of which one fit and get a barrage of
stuff like this

Also the themes were just to help people by being less broad, and open. I enjoy happy, fast paced nonsense too. :lol:
Okay, good. Let's see here...
I'll be sure and check those out.
m3rc1l3ss
Silhouette

Post by m3rc1l3ss »

Omen - Prodigy
Breathe - Prodigy
Spitfire - Prodigy
Phantom - Justice
Stretched - Infected Mushroom
Bombat - Infected Mushroom
Never gonna give you up - Rick Astley :P
Fluoro Neuoro Sponge - Hallucinogen (almost like up beat trippy videogame music)
Around the World / Harder Better Faster Stronger (Alive 2007)- Daft Punk
Samurai - Juno Reactor
Mona Lisa Overdrive - Juno Reactor
Ghosts n Stuff - Deadmau5
Popcorn - Gershon Kingsley
Axel F - Harold Faltermeyer

Also amusing guide to electronic http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/

I found some good ambient a while ago, I will try to dig it up, no clue where it went.
Hmm, I really wish I had a signature...
Kee715
Illuminati

Post by Kee715 »

m3rc1l3ss wrote:Never gonna give you up - Rick Astley :P
Epic win!

*Ahem*

Back to the song suggestions:

[*] The Beatles - Hey Jude
[*] The Beatles - Yellow Submarine
[*] Louis Prima - Just A Gigolo/I Ain't Got Nobody Medley
[*] Louis Prima, Keely Smith - That Old Black Magic
[*] Gene Krupa - Drum Boogie
[*] Tom Petty & the Heartbrakers - I Won't Back Down
[*] The Romantics - What I Like About You
[*] KISS - God Gave Rock 'N' Roll To You
[*] The B-52's - Rock Lobster
[*] Guns N' Roses - Paradise City
[*] Guns N' Roses - Sweet Child O' Mine
[*] Guns N' Roses - Out Ta Get Me
[*] Guns N' Roses - Nightrain
[*] Guns N' Roses - Civil War
[*] Guns N' Roses - Welcome to the Jungle
[*] Poison - (Flesh and Blood) Sacrifice
[*] Poison - Your Mama Don't Dance
[*] Poison - Ride the Wind
[*] Poison - Fallen Angel
[*] Poison - Nothin' But A Good Time
[*] Poison - Unskinny Bop
[*] Ozzy Osbourne - Crazy Train
[*] Ozzy Osbourne - Mama, I'm Coming Home
[*] Ozzy Osbourne - Miracle Man
[*] Ozzy Osbourne - Bark at the Moon
[*] Ozzy Osbourne - Back On Earth
[*] Ozzy Osbourne - No More Tears
[*] Cartoons - Witch Doctor
[*] Lit - My Own Worst Enemy
[*] Kevin Rudolf - Let It Rock (Has hip-hop segments by Lil' Wayne, UK radio edit thankfully lacks the Lil' Wayne bits :mrgreen: )
[*] Eddie Grant - Electric Avenue
[*] Men At Work - Down Under
[*] Jonathan Coulton - Code Monkey
[*] Jonathan Coulton - Re: Your Brains
[*] Jonathan Coulton - Shop Vac
[*] Jonathan Coulton - Ikea
[*] Jonathan Coulton - Creepy Doll
[*] Jonathan Coulton - Chiron Beta Prime
[*] Jonathan Coulton - Mandlebrot Set
[*] Jonathan Coulton - Todd the T-1000
[*] Jonathan Coulton - Tom Cruise Crazy
[*] Jonathan Coulton - I Feel Fantastic
[*] Jonathan Coulton - Millionaire Girlfriend
[*] Jonathan Coulton - That Spells DNA
[*] Jonathan Coulton & GLaDOS - Still Alive
[*] Anything Frank Klepacki (Have you played any of the Command & Conquer games?)

1:50 a.m... I spent 25 minutes typing this... My hand hurts...
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

http://magnatune.com/artists/albums/leh ... spaghetti/
Go on and listen to this. You'll thank me.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

Haha my music tends to be leaning towards Rock/Punk :P
I love Linkin Park though, Mainly the less Rap songs though, The newest Album 'Minutes To Midnight' my favourite.
As soon as i saw your 'underlining theme of mental illness' I instantly thought of a English Rock Band 'Muse'.
Specfiically the Song 'Stockholm Syndrome' Oddly enough. :mrgreen:
Rock stuff I tend to listen to; AC/DC, Foo Fighters, Biffy Clyro and the like;
Heavy Metal stuff tends to lean in too; Breaking Benjamin and Scar Symmetry (Who did a song called 'Deus Ex Machina' for anyone interested :P)
Punk stuff like Paramore and You Me At Six, is also the sorta stuff me and my Band do, but no Green Day as of yet. Never did get into them.
And more indie Rock stuff like 30 Seconds To Mars, The newest album sounds alot like U2 whereas the album before was very Emoy :so:

Sorry ramble over :mrgreen:
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
AgentSmithereens
Silhouette

Post by AgentSmithereens »

I'm much more of a music fan than a gaming fan, but then again I don't think my musical tastes are what you're really after, since I like indie and post-punk revival sorts of things. That said...

Mental illness - White Lies have a great song called E.S.T. which is about the use and effects of electro-shock therapy used on people suffering from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder after WWI.
Politics - The Indelicates are a cracking band both musically and lyrically who offer satirical views on English and worldwide culture.

And if you just want generic musical suggestions, have a listen to:
- Arcade Fire
- Bloc Party
- Editors
- Interpol
- We Were Promised Jetpacks
JC_Helios
X-51

Post by JC_Helios »

bobby 55 wrote:Kee's suggestion, Bobby Darin's Beyond The Sea....great song.

Here's two from a game that are rock. Borderland's opening and closing songs, I believe they're on Youtube so you can judge for yourself.

Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...Cage The Elephant
No Heaven...... D.J. Champion

Edit: Unless I'm completely missing what you're after, you could check out Electric Light Orchestra, they are rock and electric-ish... a great group from yesteryear.
Those are good, I kind of meant Ambient type tracks that you might expect to hear in a game, or that are in a game, but licensed stuff works too. If nothing else it invokes good memories of the game it was in :).... Some of Kee's suggestions certainly brought back fond memories of grand theft auto games.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, I'll be sure and try to check all of these out, and don't worry if it doesn't fit my preferences you're free to list your own personal favorites.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Aha, I missed the point again. No shock there though. :D
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
kdawg88
MJ12

Post by kdawg88 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHiGbolFFGw

Hope I'm not being too cliched here, but Radiohead are an amazing group.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

There are many "electr..." type genres, and they have some specific and controversial delineations. What I call "Electronic Rock" isn't the normal definition, which is somewhere closer to my "Synth New Wave" (New Order, Duran Duran, Human League, etc.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_el ... sic_genres

My suggestions would be to try listening to some old rap, and some old country music. I don't like them either since I find the genre forms annoying, but there's some great music in those genres. It sounds like you're trying to understand your tastes in genres, so services like last.fm can give you a start, and there are free sites like Magnatune and Jamendo that give free music organized by genre. Discogs.com is helpful.

I'm new to Radiohead, but liking it. I knew Thom Yorke's music before I knew Radiohead, and The Eraser is a strong album.

I don't know Chiasm and I don't like Linkin Park, so it's hard for me to recommend anything. Mixing Linkin Park with Deus Ex type music makes me think of that 80's Electronic Rock, like Depeche Mode. To mix electro with rock and pop, I'd suggest Ladytron, Royksopp, and since you're into punk/grunge/metal too the Queens of the Stone Age Era Vulgaris (more Electronic than their previous stoner rock). Ambient pop and rock would be more like Air, Kirsty Hawkshaw, Sigur Ros, Prefuse 73, Telepopmusic...