Nuclear launch detected

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Jaedar
Illuminati

Nuclear launch detected

Post by Jaedar »

Starcraft 2 guys. Starcraft bloody 2. It's gonna be incredawesomeilliant.. First game I'm actually going to stand in line for to get it at midnight. I'm so unbeleivebly hyped, despite all the Bnet 2.0 retardation. Blizzard have never made a bad game before, hell they've never made a game before that wasn't totally awesome.

Anyone else getting this at launch?

Failure to find the red dot will lead to your annhilation.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Xesum
Illuminati

Re: Nuclear launch detected

Post by Xesum »

My order has been dispatched.
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

I don't think so. $90 for a genre that's not one of my preferred is a bit steep.

Added: I just watched the trailer and it does look awesome. It's in our stores now but I could order it online and have it here tomorrow. I'll give it more consideration.

Edit: Australian potential buyers, check out Cheap Games.au.... you can buy and have it delivered express post for nearly $20 under the rrp. :)
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Tihi, I'm installing now. I'm like a kid at christmas :)
odio ergo sum
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

I have to wait 2 more days because the British Postal Service is awful.
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

'Tis awesome.

See, I had basically one fear for SC2, and that is that they would turn the protagonist into an emo-pussy(he already went through that, thank you v. much). But the intro cutscene took that fear, and smashed it into a million pieces.

I am a bit :( about needing to be online to play single-player though.
odio ergo sum
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Starcraft has a story?

Wait, no: I mean..it has a story and people play it for the story?

I always kinda figured that your average RTS was pretty much an MP skirmishfest with an SP story-mode tacked on as an afterthought, since 'plausible story' + 'RTS' isn't a natural combination without some really annoying restrictions. I mean, what kind of protagonist can you have?

Like if mass effect 3 was all about shepard landing on planets and immediately running around building a ton of turrets and a krogan birthing facility, then teching up into salarian death virus launchers or something, before teleporting in hacked geth infiltrators behind the enemy. And doing the same thing every time, apart from on that one ice planet, where viruses wouldn't work so he/she teched all the way up to geth armatures instead.
DDL

Post by DDL »

Also, genuine inquiry, there: not just me being a dick.

(though the two can easily be confused)
Moonbo
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Moonbo »

I played SC for it's story and would probably only get SC2 for the story (not a fan of multiplayer - RTS is a genre where it takes you 25 minutes to die per round, unlike the quicker turnover of FPS's). I've always been surprised that more RTS's haven't tried incorporating story more thoroughly myself.

Because of it's nature, the "main character" in SC1 was some unnamed commander who got to listen in on mission briefings, get PM's during missions, talk to key NPC units during missions (by moving one of your units over to them), and had to achieve key objectives (defeat X, take Y) by building up his forces. Pretty similiar to most FPS stories and storytelling mechanisms if you think about it.

-Gelo
But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.
-Sun Myung Moon
DDL

Post by DDL »

It's the one extra remove from the action that I think makes it seem odd to me.

FPS: you physically walk your camera view over to talk to NPC X.
TPS: you physically walk your avatar over to talk to NPC X.
RTS: you dispatch generic unit Y over to talk to NPC X.

Yes, that unit may require you to physically walk it over there, but it's not 'your character', and even if it is, you're probably still doing a ton of other stuff at the same time with other units that certainly are not.

....Shit. I'm an old man, set in my ways. :/
Moonbo
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Moonbo »

:smile:
But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.
-Sun Myung Moon
Phasmatis
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Phasmatis »

I would love to make an RTS, I always have done since Command and Conquer 1. I wouldn't mind playing a choice based, story branching RTS, I might even start making one with the UDK if I can be arsed.

I wouldn't mind picking up Starcraft but it's £40 and I haven't played Starcraft 1, if they release a demo I might though.
Keeper of the pointy stick of injustice™.
Moonbo
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Moonbo »

Haha, let me know if you need some help with the script if it ever gets to that :P.
-Sun Myung Moon
Phasmatis
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Phasmatis »

I expect OTP will be involved so no worries about that. :P
Keeper of the pointy stick of injustice™.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

If you're a total Starcraft noob like myself there are some tutorials around on Youtube and such that players have made. The intriguing thing for me is that one of the game journos I like to read says much the same as me. He doesn't do good in multi-player, and RTS isn't his preferred genre. He'll try Starcraft 2 in single player for the story though because he likes the stories Blizzard puts in their games. I'm tempted to give it a whirl but RTS really isn't my cup of cha. :)
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional