Happy Birthday Chris The Cynic

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

bobby 55
Illuminati

Happy Birthday Chris The Cynic

Post by bobby 55 »

Many happy returns Chris. :)
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: Happy Birthday Chris The Cynic

Post by Trestkon »

May tasty cake fall from the sky onto your waiting plate. And also money.
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
Kee715
Illuminati

Post by Kee715 »

Happy birthday Chris!
Trestkon wrote:May tasty cake fall from the sky onto your waiting plate.
The cake is a lie!!!
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

Happy Birthday!
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Happy Birthday chris.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

Happy Birthday Mr The Cynic. :)
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

Happy Birthday Chris, your TNM dialogue was enlightening.
Moonbo
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Moonbo »

Happy Birthday Chris!
But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.
-Sun Myung Moon
Grammatolatry
MJ12

Post by Grammatolatry »

Happy birthday!
wink wonk
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

Hey it's my birthday. Wait ... three months ago?

Damn.

Um, so, yeah... I've been aging. Actually my birthday was somewhat memorable, my mother made me a cake that was all of natural pronounceable things, my sister then decorated it with frosting that was none of those things. I jumped off a bridge. Repeatedly.

I've not been here because I was trying to work on a project and I noticed all of my time was occupied here. I figured in a week or so of not being here I'd be finished with it. It's still not done, I'm back at school, and just finished trying to stop the tea party movement from taking over my state. The election was yesterday, we lost the governorship but held our congressional seat. We also lost the state house, and possibly the state senate. My country is pretty well fucked for the next two years and, given that the opposition will probably get credit for anything good while Obama gets credit for the bad, into the foreseeable future. Also, the side I disagree with will be in charge of most of the redistricting, allowing them to gerrymander themselves ten years of systemic advantage (redistricting happens post census, the census is every ten years.)

It hasn't all been bad. Note the cake. Also, I was at The Rally to Restore Sanity. Attached is an image of me beforehand, and a picture of what my view would have been if I could see through my hand while holding it aloft. you can't see the stage, but you can make out one of the giant screens.

So, what's been going on here?

Also, I've had some computer problems (Ten days after my warranty expired, so too did my laptop. It seems as though it may have gotten better, after I got a new one.) So while I have a tiny tiny insignificant amount more of that mech story thing, it is not available at this moment. Considering trying the novel in a month thing in the appropriate month, but if I do I'm three days in with basically no words.

As for that project I mentioned, as I said, its not done and stalled out, but if ever I finish I'll share it, and any of you who think it might be something worth looking forward to will be horribly disappointed. I'll stick something in the next post that is related in an "in universe this would come with a post-it note explaining that it, while (potentially) accurate, is entirely unrelated to anything of any value whatsoever."

-

A couple of other things. One, as you might notice from the location of the photos, I'm on facebook. What is it for? I've actually been a member for a while and I've yet to determine an actual purpose for the site. Other than storing photos, but I'd think that a more specialized site would serve that purpose better.

The other thing is simply this:

Thanks for wishing me a happy birthday guys, I'm sorry I didn't say anything sooner.

[Added while trying to post:] Ok, hopefully I didn't just upload the same picture of cake repeatedly. If I did, sorry.
Attachments
NotALie(small).jpg
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

[1] Yoyodyne First Quarterly Stock Holders Report, p8.

[2] Contrary to popular belief the cat survived. She went on to have seven kittens and is, at the time of this writing a healthy 7 pounds and with an acceptable body fat percentage.

[3] More accurately a dissonant recapitulating fracture, but the incorrect terminology enjoys wider acceptance acceptance and use.

[4] For more information see Jacob Eckler, "A History of Guitar Rock in Forum City."

[5] Ryan Umov claims that this occurred at 1100 hours FP standard time, which is the first of many claims he makes that conflict with the other available reports regarding the timing of events. Given that his timeline cannot be reconciled with that of any other credible source we have ignored it both within the body of this text and in the Appendix B timeline. For a full report on Umov's timeline, as well as all other timelines offered and a discussion of the complexities involved in combining them, see Anton Jacob Jacobi, “The September Timelines: The conflicting records of the September Incident".

[6] The possibility that the causes were as much sociological as technological is explored, in depth , by Mary Charity, “Life in the Polis, and Why it Matters to You” ch 7.

[7] According to most accounts. A minority give a vastly different, fantastical, account of the events of that day which has been dismissed by all leading experts in each of the relevant fields. More on those accounts, and the extensive debunking they have received, can be found in Rika Imafidon, "Crazy Annotated, A Fully Researched Study on the Dissenting Voices from the September Incident."

[8] While the city in which these events took place might lend some credence to the conspiracy theories, the fact that their source Alexei Zagier, "What They Don't Want You To Know about the September Incident," was allowed to be published and achieve a degree of mainstream success and popularity makes it difficult to believe that “They” were trying to hide anything. Further damning the conspiracy hypothesis is the fact that no proponent has ever been able to produce a cogent argument as to who “They” were, what “They” were trying to accomplish, and what it was “They” would have been trying to cover up.

[9] The fact that this account was written in leet-speak has caused some to discount its credibility, but we believe that, given it's consistency with several independent accounts, it should be considered a legitimate primary source.

[10] In spite of its popularity, Ted Korteweg's “My duels with Eldritch Abominations” is NOT a credible source.

[11] While many have dismissed this as the lunatic ravings of a deranged mind, we feel that it should not be dismissed so lightly. Many of the details bear a striking resemblance to Anna Zajączkowski's theory of Klinian Dynamics During Instances of Spatial Flux, with which Garfunkel is unlikely to have been familiar.

[12] Unfortunately the only account of these events comes from a single source, written by a known liar. It is our belief that his book is nothing more than a poorly written piece of fiction. While this in itself is no different than numerous other publications purported to describe the September Incident, the extreme low quality of his fiction sets him in a class of his own. We refuse to give him publicity by using his name or the name of his book.

[13] There remains no credible explanation for why the pinkish light could be seen from only those two blocks. Most theories cannot explain why it would be unseen by those closer to the light such as the witnesses at Todd and Powers (Carla Galvin, The September Lights) the few theories can offer an explanation for that oddity universally agree that the light should have also been visible from the West Residence District subway station (Angela Aczel et al, Non-Angular Stochastic Models of the Optical Phenomena Coinciding With Ludi Magni), but a private security camera temporally installed at that location reveals that it was not (Forum City Video Archives, Vault 546, video 3407F6, 2:45 – 17:32).

[14] While Jacobian claims otherwise, several reliable sources place him at that location at least twelve minutes before the second incident occurred.

[15] Or possibly A-Lex, reports vary.

[16] This was conclusively demonstrated by Yosef Malitz, "Advanced Particle Physics in Non-Networked Enclaves."

[17] Sun Tzu never said this, it is unclear why Vakil thought he did.

[18] See, Forum Planet Science, Issue 432, pages 42-45.

[19] While later reports claim the creature was an octopus, we believe the earlier account should be given more weight.

[20] Though this is the conventional wisdom, many find it unsatisfying as it fails to explain several key events. Most notably the sonic disturbance at 12:53 and the “Grothendieck Ripple” at 13:21. For a full discussion see Thomas Lagerstrom, What We Don't Know (and how we know we don't know it).

[21] Or possibly, “Fuck Yeah!” Zach Daboll, What I Saw That Day In September.

[22] For further reading, see Julia Al-Quhi, Apocalypse Averted.

[23] This process is described in depth in Terry Novikov, “Reality Reconstruction in the Digital Landscape.”

[24] The length of time it took the moderators to respond has never been adequately explained.

[25] Initial reports listed seven dead and 53 injured (Forum City Medical, Incident Report, pp 235) When the group returned the numbers were revised to 49 injured and no fatalities (Ibid, pp1, pp243.) As the situation did not lend itself to double counting, the discrepancy in these numbers is problematic. This is especially true when one considers that four of the seven returned with injuries. Even so, theories alleging that an eight man squad of saboteurs bribed doctors to keep them off of the official tally (Aaron Saad, The Real Story, ch 9) are unfounded. The only person claiming to have interacted with one of the “missing eight” also claimed the man was there to help. Timothy Wynn, “Angels in September.”

[26] This in spite of several promises that they would explain everything "in due time." Forum City Talk Season 1, Episode 7, 22:16.

[27] Issac Azuma never published his work domestically, claiming he had deemed the city to skeptical. Instead he sold the book to the other cities of Forum Planet. This meant that most of those closest to the incident never learned his version of the story.

[28] Daryl Stott's account of events was scribbled into the margin of a copy of “How does a poem mean?” by John Ciardi. It is unclear what significance, if any, should be given to the frequent changes in ink color. Analysis indicates that it cannot be attributed to simply running out of ink.

[29] Mikko Xia, Three Weeks Gone. Reports to the contrary are now considered to have been hoaxes.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

I assume you are the dude with the giant beard sporting an incomprehensible sign? :)

Welcome back though.
odio ergo sum
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Nice cake. Good to see you weren't abducted by aliens. :P
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Jaedar wrote:I assume you are the dude with the giant beard sporting an incomprehensible sign? :)
Yes.

There's two ways to respond to that I suppose.

The first is, it's from a John Donne poem.

The second is look at the top of this page*. You may notice that it's the same as the top of this page which Jonas said was great reading. And this thing that I quoted once. You may notice that they all have the same John Donne quote at the top, for they are all from the same blog, readers of which are shown in the picture, though for whatever reason the Canadian with the "Canadian Eh!" maple leaf shirt only has his flannel shoulder showing. The sign was to avoid having to ask everyone who showed up, "Are you part of our group?"

I did check to see if anyone here had mentioned sanity restoration, there didn't seem to be anything. [see the addition below] There's video here, if you're interested.

[Added] Apparently the link above is somehow confusing, allow me to explain. The rally lasted for three hours, I figure most of you don't have that kind of time to waste in front of your computer screen. As such, the above link is to the index page of rally videos created by The Daily Show. On it you should find no less than two (identical) lists of videos from the rally, thus allowing you to chose to watch whatever you may like without having to sit through 2 to 3 hours of stuff you're not really interested in. In theory at least, in practice it looks like some things may be missing.

If you do have hours to kill, C-Span has a video of two hours of it here though the quick glance I've given it makes me think the video quality sucks somewhat. Still, they definitely have one of the things missing from the Daily Show page.

I hope that this clears up any confusion. If you're not a Stewart or Colbert fan, there's a decent chance following the links will not lead you to happiness.[/Added]

-

* This page chosen because it is Google's second result for "knock breathe shine and seek to mend" the first result being the poem itself.
Last edited by chris the cynic on Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

chris the cynic wrote: I did check to see if anyone here had mentioned sanity restoration, there didn't seem to be anything. There's video here, if you're interested.
I don't get it. It's a video of people singing Americas national anthem with a flag spliced in. I assume I am missing some important context to make sense of it? Although I gathered that it has something to do with the failed healthcare reform?
odio ergo sum