Rest In Peace, Good Old Games

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

bobby 55
Illuminati

Re: Rest In Peace, Good Old Games

Post by bobby 55 »

Jaedar wrote:How can anyone stay mad at a company that will sell you Planescape Torment and give you "Chris Avellone and Colin McComb book" when you buy it?

If Starcraft 2, as good a game as it is, can't get me to love playing RTS, I don't think this game will get me loving CRPG's. I'll leave this one to the true RPG fans I think.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

bobby 55 wrote:
Jaedar wrote:How can anyone stay mad at a company that will sell you Planescape Torment and give you "Chris Avellone and Colin McComb book" when you buy it?
If Starcraft 2, as good a game as it is, can't get me to love playing RTS, I don't think this game will get me loving CRPG's. I'll leave this one to the true RPG fans I think.
It's a pretty nonstandard RPG though. Basically, you don't play it for the RPG stuff, you play it precisely because it is not a standard RPG. It has a unique setting and pretty much deviates from all established conventions of the genre.

Rats? Usually cannon fodder, in PS:T? deadly magic wielders. Zombies? also cannon fodder in most games but in PS:T they're walking puzzles. It even reaches into the mechanics, wisdom is by far the most useful stat because it lets you trigger more conversation options, but it has absolutely no combat applications whatsoever, unlike most RPG's where you should focus on combat stuff.

But you probably wouldn't even notice this stuff unless you played RPG's.

I'd tell you to read the book that's pretty much the in-game dialogue copy-pasted, but reading it just doesn't compare to experiencing it first hand. I do understand why you might pass this up, it is not a game for everyone.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

You do make it sound interesting. I'll give it some serious thought. :)
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

If you do play, max out Intellect and Wisdom and then train as a Mage the first chance you get.

And definitely read this if you have a hard time getting into it:
http://www.richardcobbett.com/codex/get ... e-torment/
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Thanks Jonas and Jaedar. I might just give it a go after Diablo 2 and the couple of games coming out shortly that I pre-ordered. That back-burner is starting to get crowded again.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

:)

image shamefully stolen from Destructoid.
odio ergo sum
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

I'm the weakest willed boycotter ever. At least I didn't join an anti-gog steam or facebook group before doing this.
It was three dollars, and I've been specifically wanting to replay it, ughhh

I guess now I'm FORCED AGAINST MY WILL to go look up whatever's the latest and greatest for Duke source ports, because fuck playing this game with default controls. I am physically incapable of not using WASD anymore. Even when I play Starcraft my left hand sits on WASD uselessly.
Kee715
Illuminati

Post by Kee715 »

Jetsetlemming wrote:fuck playing this game with default controls.
8u7 7h47'5 h0w l337 64m3r5 pl4y 17! :p
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Jetsetlemming wrote:I'm the weakest willed boycotter ever. At least I didn't join an anti-gog steam or facebook group before doing this.
It was three dollars, and I've been specifically wanting to replay it, ughhh

I guess now I'm FORCED AGAINST MY WILL to go look up whatever's the latest and greatest for Duke source ports, because fuck playing this game with default controls. I am physically incapable of not using WASD anymore. Even when I play Starcraft my left hand sits on WASD uselessly.

Oh good lord, more games. Is Descent3 any good?
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

bobby 55 wrote:Descent3 any good?
IIRC, its basically a zero-gravity fighter jet simulator or somein like that. Although I only played the demo(it may have been of one of the other descents), it seemed pretty good.
odio ergo sum
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Cheers, I don't think I'll rush into buying it. I've got enough to keep me going 'til Christmas as is. :)
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

It is a little known fact that the reason the Germans lost World War 2 was because their best commander got completely fed up with listening to everybody around him speaking English with the most awful, stereotypical German accent, and so defected to the British army shortly before the Germans managed to fuck up Operation Market Garden for the Allies thanks to his efforts. Pretty weird, but there you have it!

On an unrelated note, I've been playing Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts today and yesterday because I was reminded of its existence and of the fact that I somehow stopped playing Company of Heroes right after buying and installing Opposing Fronts (so I never actually played that game). It has a German and a British campaign, and the British one is really good - I'm very impressed by the fact that there are specific units for the Royal Canadian Rifles who then actually speak with a Canadian accent, whereas eg. the 1st Commandos speak with a sort of North English accent and the Royal Scots actually speak with a lovely Scottish accent. The very thing that totally ruined the German campaign for me turns out to be the best thing about the British campaign.

Well, and also the Germans require a really aggressive play style because their defence sucks but they have tons of powerful armour. The Brits on the other hand have superb defence with a whole buffet of defensive structures to build, and that lends itself much better to my play style (because I am a coward).
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Hahaha, that reminds me of Medal of Honour:Allied Assault. The accents I mean not the game play.

I wonder if GoG will ever get System Shock 2, it crashes too much on my PC, and their efforts with Vista and W7 compatibility might just be the ticket.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

I realize a lot of you have already seen this, reading RPS but it deserves restating: Preorder The Witcher 2 from gog.com and you get 2.5-4 games from their catalogue for free.

Err.... sanity is for the weak! I guess.
odio ergo sum
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

But it's... it's called Good OLD Games. How does this make sense?
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine