Rest In Peace, Good Old Games

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: Rest In Peace, Good Old Games

Post by Jonas »

Jetsetlemming wrote:Given the context around the event, I think that some of the reactions are understandable.
Some of them yes, not the ones I was talking about. If you'd like to rephrase to "all of the reactions are understandable", then we'll have to agree to disagree.
Hassat Hunter wrote:Keep telling yourself that then if it makes you help sleep at night...
Holy condescension, Batman! Did somebody take a piss in your breakfast this morning, or what the hell happened to make you so angry? If the man doesn't feel like Steam has done him any disservice, who are you to tell him otherwise, eh?
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Jonas wrote: Holy condescension, Batman! Did somebody take a piss in your breakfast this morning, or what the hell happened to make you so angry? If the man doesn't feel like Steam has done him any disservice, who are you to tell him otherwise, eh?
A woman living is a fundamentalist islam place may not feel there is anything bad about having to cover her face, but most westerners seem to disagree. Not saying either of you are right, just saying that this sort of thing is inherently ambiguous.

Steam has certainly locked me out of my games a couple of times, when their servers have been busy(for example, when the big Dow2 patch was released), and the cloud saves thing wiped my Plants Vs Zombies saves. I still use them, and I will still use GoG and I still prefer the latter, I will happily endure some mental anguish for the privilege of actually owning my games and not just subscribing to them. Again, I understand it if you feel differently.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Jaedar wrote:A woman living is a fundamentalist islam place may not feel there is anything bad about having to cover her face, but most westerners seem to disagree. Not saying either of you are right, just saying that this sort of thing is inherently ambiguous.
And what exactly does that add to the discussion? Nothing of any value that I can see.

Feel free to write your hypothetical woman in a fundamentalist Islam place a hypothetical letter saying "Keep telling yourself that then if it makes you help sleep at night..." and see how effectively that changes her mind.

Condescension never helps, and in this case it was totally uncalled for. I would like Hassat to be less of an asshole, is all.
Steam has certainly locked me out of my games a couple of times, when their servers have been busy(for example, when the big Dow2 patch was released), and the cloud saves thing wiped my Plants Vs Zombies saves. I still use them, and I will still use GoG and I still prefer the latter, I will happily endure some mental anguish for the privilege of actually owning my games and not just subscribing to them. Again, I understand it if you feel differently.
But apparently Hassat Hunter does not understand if Jetset feels differently, and that was why I was objecting.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Jonas wrote: And what exactly does that add to the discussion? Nothing of any value that I can see.
That Hassat may have a point, even if JSL doesn't realize it. Or he may not. More words would help assess the situation.

Also, GoG is back up, but its unstable as hell as of yet. I fear they rushed it because of all the rage from their stunt :/
odio ergo sum
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Jaedar wrote:More words would help assess the situation.
I would be fine just with less arrogant words.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

The only times I've ever wanted to use Steam but couldn't was during internet downtime on my end, and even then Offline Mode worked. I've never, ever not been able to play a game I purchased on Steam. I've never, ever felt ripped off by a purchase because I only buy stuff during deals.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Jetsetlemm ... es?tab=all
I own 77 games on Steam. I've bought like four times that in gifts for other people. I don't think I'd be quite so big a consumer if I wasn't happy with the service. ;)

I know that according to the EULA I don't actually own any of those games. I own a license to them, a right to them. But the wording of that agreement upon which those purchases were made says that I own them indefinitely, without restriction. So far, in all the years I've used the Steam service, Valve has, 100%, lived up to that promise. GOG however, has broken those same terms for the sake of a fucking joke.

Edit: Also just yesterday I downloaded the 4.2GB Civ 5 demo in under 11 minutes from Steam. There isn't another content delivery service on the planet that can beat that.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

I've, in my time, bought about 20-40 quids worth of games from GOG. I downloaded them as soon as I bought them, and I still have all the installers.

I am therefore INCAN-FUCKING-DESCENT WITH RAAAEG that they decided to not allow me to unnecessarily redownload those games for a few days. Apparently.

Christ, people: it's not a fucking online game storage depot, it's a company that sells old games. The insane amount of excessive entitlement complex the frothing seething internaut hordes bring to the table these days is simply staggering.
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

Jonas wrote:But apparently Hassat Hunter does not understand if Jetset feels differently, and that was why I was objecting.
Whatever or not Jetset feels doesn't mean he doesn't get screwed over.

Some people may feel fine about UbiSoft's DRM sollution. Are they NOT screwed over? Nope.
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

DDL wrote:and I still have all the installers.
Not everyone does. Part of the GoG sales pitch was something like "download your games as many times as you like, forever" obviously "forever" doesn't mean for all eternity, even if we'd like it to. Even so, after making that promise, its a bit annoying of them to cut access to the stuff you own without any warning.

I don't have my installers(well I might, on my old HD, but god only knows where that is), but I haven't bought anything from GoG in quite a while either.
GoG wrote:We're quite likely faster: Our very handsome dev team claims they've rewritten 98% of the source code to make GOG faster and scare fail bear away.
This made me laugh for some reason :lol:
odio ergo sum
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Hassat Hunter wrote:Some people may feel fine about UbiSoft's DRM sollution. Are they NOT screwed over? Nope.
The potential to be screwed over doesn't mean they're being screwed over. Ubisoft are putting their customers in a position where they may get screwed over by unexpected downtime, and indeed such downtime has occurred and people have been screwed over - but there are people who haven't experienced that downtime, and no, I would not say they have been or are being screwed over. These are customers who have had constant and unbroken access to the games they've purchased, and the idea that they're being screwed over because they might potentially lose that access strikes me as similar to saying I'm being robbed every time I forget to unlock the door to my apartment, even though all my stuff is where I left it every time I return to it.

But the core of the matter is this: if you think Jetset is getting an unfair deal, fine. Just please don't be a condescending prick about it, yeah?
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

I'd love to hear an actual argument for HOW Steam might be screwing me over without me realizing it, instead of just smugly proclaiming you know my own business better than I do, Hassat Hunter. How exactly, am I being screwed? Or in any way being treated unfairly, or to my disadvantage?

Also I don't have my GOG.com installers backed up, because those launchers aren't monolithic one size fits all downloads. I had to redownload Descent 3 every time I changed hardware to get it to install and run properly. So I trusted GOG at their word, that there would be no limits on my getting these games I payed for, and just left them on the gog "shelf" until I wanted to play them. I don't currently have any of the games I've bought on GOG on my machine, as I recently upgraded to a completely new computer with fresh windows install.
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

Just please don't be a condescending prick about it, yeah?
Sure, if he's not a hyprocrite by bashing GoG and then praising Steam for something they both do wrong.

@ Jetset: Prices (even as US it makes no sense to pay the same as the store), forcing you to log in to play your games, broken offline-system, spying on your activity and logging your hardware, taking away games you payed for without reason etc. etc.
Yeah, I don't like Steam...
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
DDL

Post by DDL »

Even though they explicity state that it's probably wise to download and backup any and all games purchased from them?

EDIT: plus, they even fucking stated that they'd set up a download service in a couple of days for anyone who hadn't already d/led their games, so even OMG OMG WURST CAES SCENAREOO you'd be without your games for like, three days. So even if it hadn't turned out to be a joke, IT WOULDN'T HAVE MATTERED ANYWAY.
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

Steam does not log your hardware or "Spy" on you without your explicit consent- it only does it for a small slice of the total userbase to get an overall statistical view of hardware and software trends of its users. The absolute most I've spent on a single purchase on Steam, or for any game, in the last... seven? Eight years? Is $35 for the id Super Pack. Second to that is $30 for a retail copy of Wolfenstein on PS3. The vast majority of my steam purchases are $20 and down. They gave me Red Faction Guerrilla for five dollars and that's the best game I've played in fucking FOREVER. It is SO GOOD.

And finally, offline works for me, just fine.
DDL wrote:Even though they explicity state that it's probably wise to download and backup any and all games purchased from them?

EDIT: plus, they even fucking stated that they'd set up a download service in a couple of days for anyone who hadn't already d/led their games, so even OMG OMG WURST CAES SCENAREOO you'd be without your games for like, three days. So even if it hadn't turned out to be a joke, IT WOULDN'T HAVE MATTERED ANYWAY.
I don't know if you're directly responding to me anymore, but I'm not massively upset. I just found GOG's actions to be unprofessional and unworthy of my continued financial support. I don't really view it as a massive loss, I don't really see most of their catalogue as worth purchasing. Baldur's Gate II is no exception.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

How can anyone stay mad at a company that will sell you Planescape Torment and give you "Chris Avellone and Colin McComb book" when you buy it?
odio ergo sum