Every day ...

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

EER
Illuminati

Every day ...

Post by EER »

I'M SHUFFLIN!

Dammit I need to stop watching music videos on youtube right before I go to bed.
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
Grammatolatry
MJ12

Re: Every day ...

Post by Grammatolatry »

Doo doo doo doo doo doodoo doodoodoo doo doo doo doodoo. Doo doo doo doo doodoo doodoodoodoo doo doodoodoo.
wink wonk
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

Your music taste is augmented.

We need a new Music thread. :mrgreen:
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

... a night like this!

Do you mean a music topic along the lines of 'I am now listening to x, 'guess the lyric' or a philosophical discussion on the merits of music labels in the digital era?
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

EER wrote:Do you mean a music topic along the lines of 'I am now listening to x, 'guess the lyric' or a philosophical discussion on the merits of music labels in the digital era?
Both! I was more interested in what you guys enjoyed listening too. Though opinions on the music industry would also be pretty cool.

I'm not one for main stream music. Alot of it is crap I'm afraid to say. Though some of it is pretty cool; Rock Party Anthem being one. That song is awesome when it starts playing in a club. :lol:

I'm a Rock/Punk/Pop fan myself though.
The british music scene is a little odd when it comes down to that. I suspect most have you have heard of a band called Muse. I've loved their music for years.
I've currently got a Pop Punk band called YouMeAtSix and a Post Hardcore band We Are The Ocean (Both British) on repeat during bus journeys.

And I think a merit of large music labels is that most of them have already got alot of footing in the industry so they know how to advertise the music they are endorsing. Alot more people are likely to look them up or too see their adverts as opposed to an Indie label, whom wouldn't have as much money, so couldn't afford a massive advertising campaign. Though, on the other hand, many people have practically made themselves famous just using YouTube. Conversation starter right here. :mrgreen:
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

Party rock is in the house tonight, everybody just have a good time...

Goddamnit EER that's going to be stuck in my head for the rest of the day.
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

nerdenstein wrote: Both! I was more interested in what you guys enjoyed listening too. Though opinions on the music industry would also be pretty cool.

I'm not one for main stream music. Alot of it is crap I'm afraid to say. Though some of it is pretty cool; Rock Party Anthem being one. That song is awesome when it starts playing in a club. :lol:

I'm a Rock/Punk/Pop fan myself though.
The british music scene is a little odd when it comes down to that. I suspect most have you have heard of a band called Muse. I've loved their music for years.
I've currently got a Pop Punk band called YouMeAtSix and a Post Hardcore band We Are The Ocean (Both British) on repeat during bus journeys.

And I think a merit of large music labels is that most of them have already got alot of footing in the industry so they know how to advertise the music they are endorsing. Alot more people are likely to look them up or too see their adverts as opposed to an Indie label, whom wouldn't have as much money, so couldn't afford a massive advertising campaign. Though, on the other hand, many people have practically made themselves famous just using YouTube. Conversation starter right here. :mrgreen:
You might like Electric Six if you're into that. Their songs Danger ! High Voltage and Gay bar were rather popular on teh interwebz some time ago, but they've continued to make some really excellent albums (I Shall Exterminate Everything Around Me That Restricts Me from Being the Master, Senor Smoke, Switzerland), great lyrics and brilliant music, though "I shall exterminate" &c. is a bit difficult to get into.

As for the music industry: the model of Record Labels producing and marketing albums is an outdated concept and simply doesn't work in the digital age.
Grammatolatry
MJ12

Post by Grammatolatry »

Fire in the disco!
wink wonk
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

gamer0004 wrote:You might like Electric Six if you're into that
I've heard of them. Gay bar and Danger! High Voltage are the only songs I've heard from them though. Pretty wacky band, but the video for High Voltage is just weird. :shock:
gamer0004 wrote:As for the music industry: the model of Record Labels producing and marketing albums is an outdated concept and simply doesn't work in the digital age.
I wouldn't say it was an outdated concept. They also use digital methods to their advantage.
Then again, Many artists are choosing to go independant from their labels because it does give them more creative freedom (The only band I can think of is McFly* and even then, I'm not sure if I'm thinking of a different band).
PlausibleSarge
UNATCO

Post by PlausibleSarge »

while you are shuffling, I'm riding spinnaz
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

gamer0004 wrote:As for the music industry: the model of Record Labels producing and marketing albums is an outdated concept and simply doesn't work in the digital age.
Not really, it still works in a 'digital age' - it's just that the purchases are made online instead of in a shop. Digital downloads have only recently (i.e. the past few years) started to overtake physical CD sales. Digital downloading has levelled the playing field to an extent, but music still needs a hell of a lot of advertising.
miguel
UNATCO

Post by miguel »

Maybe a musician should earn his life primarily through live performance, The recorded sound helps a lot to expose the artist to the world.

Digital download is something that produsers feared, just like artist of the early 20th century once feared the disc format because they thought that no one was going to see them perform any more.

I see more future in download since the phyisical format limited the artists to fit and reduce their ideas into what the record could hold (and recording was not cheap at the time)
That's way the basic popular music recording commonly composed of some 8 to 12 tracks per album (lazi bastards) It's still the standard formula for popular music albumsto day wich means that the physical format is not obsolete yet.

Other great thing about recorded music is that you can apreciate it like a painting. it is a moment captured in time, it also let the artist do things that might be imposible on stage,
The bad thing is that it can create a wrong idea of on how the musicians really sounds. This happen a lot in rock music for example, it is not as well prodused and managed as pop and when you go to a rock concert i'ts not as good as the recording, they can fool you with theyr records.

I still a bit confused on what i like, maybe i need a musical taste implant :mrgreen: but i still into old style British Heavy metal a bit. Now my favs are Saxon and Blaze Bayley. There's something about British rock and pop.
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

A lot of music isn't available online in the best possible quality. If it were, I would listen to a lot more stuff.

Maintaining a library of music these days takes a lot of manual, frustrating work if you want everything to be great. You need to buy the cd's (which means used, because new ones are expensive), rip them, store them somewhere in case you get raided by IFPI or the RIAA, then use a tool like MusicBrainz Picard to tag the tracks up with metatags. Then you gotta set up cover images if you want to browse by that...and of course, if you like to listen on the go, you need everything stored in something your mobile player can handle, like Apple Lossless...which only accepts itunes as a sync device, so you gotta integrate your library with that, and because lossless audio is quite large, you can only really bring 20 cd's worth of music with you.

And then, you might end up ignoring the meticulously build library because you'd like to watch music videos rather than just listen, because right now there's no solution for using the audio track you have locally and the video track for the song that's on youtube (although then you'd need the music video versions of the music, which aren't always available, and which sometimes include sound effects that have no business being in music)...

This is all assuming you can actually play the music on your stereo from the convenience of a computer, which requires you to either go with computer speakers, or set something up using a digital to analog amp and "proper" stereo speakers, which is also rather nasty to set up...

ahem. If the music industry provided a proper backend, and I'm not asking for much, but the steam store for music would be a good start...then maybe they'd still be making as much money as they did 15 years ago. I know I'd happily be paying them, but right now I actually prefer just youtubing whatever I feel like listening to. The ideal solution is outthere, but it's just too much work to get everything to work perfectly.

/rant by grumpy old man
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

AEmer wrote:A lot of music isn't available online in the best possible quality. If it were, I would listen to a lot more stuff.
A lot of stuff is available in FLAC nowadays. Quite a lot of my Music is in FLAC - not as much as I'd like, but enough. I have reasonable speakers, though - most people don't, which is why most online music is crap quality. There's no sense having people downloading lossless audio (or 640kb/s) when they're just going to play it on an iPod or though shitty computer speakers.