Wish List Puter equipment purchases...

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

bobby 55
Illuminati

Re: Wish List Puter equipment purchases...

Post by bobby 55 »

The Silverstone Fortress is one sweet case. At $270 plus here it's a bit over my budget. A decent case, mobo, psu, cpu, and card would be $1000 plus here.

If I get the PC from the brother inlaw I'd get a Corsair psu, probably 800 watts cause I'd get a 560 ti or a GTX 570 with the savings from not having to purchase other components.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

Few tips: don't buy a cheap PSU! There is nothing worse than cheap PSUs. They ruin other components, deliver far less power than they claim to deliver (resulting in instability, especially when overclocking with that black edition) and have a rather high chance of breaking down, and you don't want a broken PSU (it is, obviously, an essential component, and it's typically difficult to determine whether it is actually the PSU which is broken or some other component. If you get it wrong, you pay for it when you send it RMA).
I wouldn't recommend buying a very expensive PSU either. Higher efficiency simply isn't worth the higher cost, and even higher quality simply doesn't offer much benefit.
So I'd say, get an 550-650 watt PSU for about €80 which is good (there are huge differences in quality even at the same price). The Nexus RX 6300 (or 5300) is pretty good for the money. OCZ has some good PSUs for good prices as well.
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

Exactly what Gamer said.
Personally I would always want a 650+ watt psu in a modern computer, but 550 is also ok.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Thanks for the advice guys. There's a recently opened store two suburbs away, uptil now you could only buy from them online or travel 20 plus kilometers to their regional stores . I haven't done any price comparisons, but it does sell all the bells and whistles, also stuff for computers....ahem.

If I may, I'll post what I'm definitely buying when the time comes... for you guys to evaluate.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Doubling again...sorry.

There's good news on the PC front. The brother inlaw got it back from the shop and it's running well again. He must be on good terms with the guy who runs the shop.

Here's an exerp from the invoice: RESOLUTION:
Clean and reseat Memory
Clean ancl reseat CPU (New Paste)
Noticed Fan on Power Supply does not spin, needs to be replaced
Further Testing to be done with new power supply
Internet Not Working on Lan Port, Run a Winsock flx to correct
Update Est Security
Run 8 Window Updates
Cooler Power 700Watt Power Supply ATX

All it needs is a better card and it'll be a decent machine. A new monitor@ $160 and the store invoice of $157 is all he's asking from me. He'll bring it down next week. They live about a two hour drive away so that's cool.
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

Got my new PC last friday... It's an extra computer for when I'm at my parents' place during the weekends. It's very cheap but it can run any modern game :)
It's an Athlon X4 641, a CPU at the 32 nanometer process, four cores at 2.8 GHz (I overclocked to 3.36 GHz), with an AMD 5770 (overclocked to 960 MHz from 850 MHz default), ASRock A75 Pro4 mobo, Samsung spinpoint 500GB harddisk and a Nexus Value 430 watt PSU. Only problem is the RAM, which I had left lying around but is a bit faulty, so I'll buy some new RAM next week. Total cost (w/o RAM and GPU, because I had both for spare): €300.
Oh and I got a 21.5 inch monitor from Acer. It's very cheap and not very good (especially at dark colours), but it suits my needs just fine.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

I'm looking at building a new computer when I save some cash up and that sort of price is exactly the budget I am looking at. :mrgreen:
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

The computer the brother inlaw built is going gangbusters even with the ten year old card. I was thinking that with the generic power supply, and the fact the card sits over the CMOS battery, I might get an GTX 550 Ti. It doesn't suck up too much power and is relatively cool from what I've read.