Wish List Puter equipment purchases...

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Jane_Denton
X-51

Wish List Puter equipment purchases...

Post by Jane_Denton »

I don't know if there will ever be a day if I'll have the expendable income to buy this, span of 6 30" monitors... ahhhhh. <3

But it's on my Wish List of purchases that I think about. I just think it's soooooo pretty.... :mrgreen:

I have a 27" and a 24" setup now that works well for me. Good enough for gaming.

Although I fantasize about a huge wall of monitors... don't ask me why... I just like it! :lol:

http://www.cinemassivedisplays.com/Trio_Gemini_30D.php
Attachments
Trio_Gemini_30D.jpg
Who we are is but a stepping stone to what we can become...
AEmer
Illuminati

Re: Wish List Puter equipment purchases...

Post by AEmer »

I can relate :-)

Although I don't see myself ever moving away from my current setup...not unless I can get 3 3d screens.

It'll probably be tricky to find replacement monitors in the future, though...so I've taken to keeping a black desktop background without icons to save monitor usage on the sides.

I run a 1x26" on the table, with 2x20" 20'es at the sides, wall mounted. Yes, the computers from Deus Ex was probably the reason I thought this setup would be cool.

I also run a 5.1 hifi surround sound system, so its framed by bigass speakers(for a computer) on either side and above by the center speaker.

I wouldn't really need more of a vertical dimension, even if it looks cool.

The side monitors are from 01 and 03 respectively, bought used from a guy who found out quad-monitors arranged in a square wasn't for him...it's taken a while to put together, piece by piece, without breaking the bank =P

http://i44.tinypic.com/11j6b02.jpg
Jane_Denton
X-51

Post by Jane_Denton »

AEmer wrote:I can relate :-)

Although I don't see myself ever moving away from my current setup...not unless I can get 3 3d screens.

It'll probably be tricky to find replacement monitors in the future, though...so I've taken to keeping a black desktop background without icons to save monitor usage on the sides.

I run a 1x26" on the table, with 2x20" 20'es at the sides, wall mounted. Yes, the computers from Deus Ex was probably the reason I thought this setup would be cool.

I also run a 5.1 hifi surround sound system, so its framed by bigass speakers(for a computer) on either side and above by the center speaker.

I wouldn't really need more of a vertical dimension, even if it looks cool.

The side monitors are from 01 and 03 respectively, bought used from a guy who found out quad-monitors arranged in a square wasn't for him...it's taken a while to put together, piece by piece, without breaking the bank =P

http://i44.tinypic.com/11j6b02.jpg
I have 5.1 surround as well... let's just say my neighbors don't want to piss me off or I won't feel the need to be considerate. If they do I'd move my sub woofer to the floor instead of it sitting on top of my UPS's, then instead of leaving my bass at 50% I'd could put in on 100% and make their windows vibrate. I keep my 24" off on my left on the second teir of my desk... it's like my monitoring monitor to keep an eye on my PC probe and taskman and any downloading I might be doing at the time while I'm in game. (Heat is an issue in my apartment, air doesn't circulate well and it can get very hot in the summer... so I always have PC Probe running to let me know what my mobo and CPU temps are while in game. Some games drive it up quite high. I don't like to see the temp on my CPU get any higher than 50 degrees Celcius. 60 degrees is what I have the alarm set to.
27in monitor.jpg
I don't think you'd like my 27" monitor.. it's an ASUS... :giggle: I have small girlie feet... with my badass gamer slippers on...
Hashi
Silhouette

Post by Hashi »

puter = pew tar?
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

Hahah. I spy a femshepard! Aboard the normandy SR1! And a desk so tidy I'm ashamed of mine.... And socks that look homemade...

But sadly, yeah, I don't think I would like your monitor very much, though not because its an asus XD - It looks like that monitor is a great deal, and I love having a lot of inches and still using 1920x1080, but it's also a TN panel, and I try my darndest to avoid those...it used to be that the viewing angles on those were so narrow that the same colour could look different near the edges of the screen from how it would look at the center, on the larger panels...

It's probably improved a lot since last I looked at LCD's (3 years ago I think), but back then I went out of my way to pay twice the price for an IPS panel...though as it turns out, I can't use a PS3 with this screen, because the people who made it forgot to think of what would happen if someone input 16:9 rather than 16:10 and had it defeatul to stretching...

It's still a sweet setup you got :D. You run UPS's? Plural? I've never had one...It always seemed like a lot of money when I could get a PSU with surge protection...though we never have brownouts in Denmark, so that might play into it.

Oh, and I must admit to not minding my computers heat levels...My motherboard will speed up the fans when heat reaches a certain level...the way I configured it, I have 6 fans on that system, and I blindly trust it to keep things chilly and as quiet as possible. Sadly, I botched the room layout...the computer is next to the radiator so I have problems with heat both summer and winter....
Jane_Denton
X-51

Post by Jane_Denton »

AEmer wrote: And socks that look homemade...
Walmart slippers... LOL I liked the froggies...
AEmer wrote: But sadly, yeah, I don't think I would like your monitor very much, though not because its an asus XD - It looks like that monitor is a great deal, and I love having a lot of inches and still using 1920x1080, but it's also a TN panel, and I try my darndest to avoid those...it used to be that the viewing angles on those were so narrow that the same colour could look different near the edges of the screen from how it would look at the center, on the larger panels...
The viewing angles on my monitor are perfect. I lay on the couch and watch it like a TV, or watch it from my kitchen while doing dishes... I've never had a problem. Still 27" seems so small now... I wanna go bigger... bloody things 30" and up are so expensive! :(

AEmer wrote: You run UPS's? Plural? I've never had one...It always seemed like a lot of money when I could get a PSU with surge protection...though we never have brownouts in Denmark, so that might play into it.
It started with one UPS, APC 1300V ... I live in an apartment building that even when the weather was nice the power would flicker and restart my computer, so much so I could see it shortening the life or just damaging it all together... then I bought more equipment that dropped my 30min battery time to about half that... so I bought another APC 1300V. Then a few months ago I bought another APC 1500V for just my desktop... since I have a whole lotta hardware in my desktop, and 7tb worth of hard drives. Since there was a power outtage at the time that lasted about 3hrs and I was almost crawling the walls of boredom! By some freak of nature not only was my laptop battery dead, so was my tablet I let them run down without realizing and then when the power was out I had nothing to entertain me. So I that's the reason behind the latest one. So now happily I have power when the power goes out and I don't have to read a book by candle light... that is so boring!

I hate being bored. Plus if there is a serious surge my equipment is very well protected. They may be close to $300 a piece but that is a very cheap insurance policy imo. Most people only need one to protect their equipment and have time to shut their machine down properly ... I got a little carried away because I am also using it as an alternate power source if the power goes out so I can continue to play a game or whatever.

AEmer wrote: Oh, and I must admit to not minding my computers heat levels...My motherboard will speed up the fans when heat reaches a certain level...the way I configured it, I have 6 fans on that system, and I blindly trust it to keep things chilly and as quiet as possible. Sadly, I botched the room layout...the computer is next to the radiator so I have problems with heat both summer and winter....
Yeah I keep my puter far away from the radiator. I have an Antec 1200 so I'm good for fans as well... Plus my video card has pipe cooling and a 120mm fan, and my CPU I went with a 90mm fan/heatsink instead of the stock tiny one. My mobo and video card both have their separate software that speed up the fans depending on how hard they are working... I can hear the vid card fan gear up during a game...then go quiet once I'm out...
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

"Walmart slippers... LOL I liked the froggies..."

Who wouldn't!?

"The viewing angles on my monitor are perfect"

Huh...good to know! But I don't like 27"+ tbh - not unless it sticks to that 1920x1200~1920x1080 resolution range. I think its too demanding on the computer for games to go higher res. With 1080p you can get a really good upscale from 720p, but there isn't really a higher resolution screen that "fits" nicely with the lower resolutions, so either you're stuck with an insanely demanding resolution, or you get stretchyness.

@ UPS
Wow, so you're in the US, and your power problems are that bad? You live in a large city? Countryside? Because that seems really bad from the way you're describing it...

@Antec 1200
Hahah, another Antec fan! Antec P180 here. Last year I bit the bullet and ebayed a bunch of Nexus case fans from half the world away. I like my computer to be quieter than an open window, though when gaming that's obviously not the case.

I'm really envious of my friends who have the Fractal Design R3...that case is simply amazing. It's a complete carbon copy of the p180, but its much improved imo.

"since I have a whole lotta hardware in my desktop, and 7tb worth of hard drives"
:shock:

What do you have onthere, the sequenced genome of the nocturnal fruitbat? Or do you just partake in the enjoyment and archiving of Hi Def television? =P

7tb...man. That is a _lot_ of stuff.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

AEmer wrote:Wow, so you're in the US, and your power problems are that bad?
Atlantic Canada. It says so right out there in the left under her name ;)
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

Jonas wrote:
AEmer wrote:Wow, so you're in the US, and your power problems are that bad?
Atlantic Canada. It says so right out there in the left under her name ;)
Well it says you're in hafnia and furthermore so is your face.

Snotty danish punk showing me up. :D
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Hafnia is the Latin name for Copenhagen, and my face is indeed here with me.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Hahah =D>
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Jane_Denton
X-51

Post by Jane_Denton »

AEmer wrote:"Huh...good to know! But I don't like 27"+ tbh - not unless it sticks to that 1920x1200~1920x1080 resolution range. I think its too demanding on the computer for games to go higher res. With 1080p you can get a really good upscale from 720p, but there isn't really a higher resolution screen that "fits" nicely with the lower resolutions, so either you're stuck with an insanely demanding resolution, or you get stretchyness.
I hate the stretchyness too... I am always on 1080p... unless an older game forces me to play lower res. if I can't frig with it's config file...
AEmer wrote: Wow, so you're in the US, and your power problems are that bad? You live in a large city? Countryside? Because that seems really bad from the way you're describing it...
What Jonas said... :giggle: I live in the capital, and the birth place of Canada... and yes I'm speaking vaguely... But I live in an older building and it's just crap.. and where I live is at sea level. Oh and in Atlantic Canada what you may have heard of our storms... yeah we get bad ones because we are so close to the sea.
AEmer wrote: I like my computer to be quieter than an open window, though when gaming that's obviously not the case.
Mine fits in the computer place in my desk and has a glass door that I can close, which is almost silent when I do that. Although when gaming I always have the door open... I also have my desk about 4" from the wall so the back of the computer has air flow...
AEmer wrote: I'm really envious of my friends who have the Fractal Design R3...that case is simply amazing. It's a complete carbon copy of the p180, but its much improved imo.
I envy those silent designed cases as well...
AEmer wrote: "since I have a whole lotta hardware in my desktop, and 7tb worth of hard drives"
:shock:

What do you have onthere, the sequenced genome of the nocturnal fruitbat? Or do you just partake in the enjoyment and archiving of Hi Def television? =P

7tb...man. That is a _lot_ of stuff.
A lot of programs... but mostly storage. I have almost 300 games on Steam and I'm a fan of NOT downloading a game every time I get the itch to play it. I download it once and it stays on there, ready for any time I wanna play it. I also switch from having movies on DVD to just digital. Storing DVD movies and games in my apartment was getting ridiculous and digital just made more sense. It's cheaper to buy a 2tb hard drive than have to dust around yet another storage container in my apartment... I also store all my photos digitally now.. yet saving even more space and clutter in my apartment. I have a surprising amount of GBs of personal photos, oh yeah and music...

I'm also a Network Admin. I have VM Ware setup with several different types of server environments that I can test out and troubleshoot.

I don't like wasting time, or have the patience to wait for things to install, or download. So I keep everything at the ready when I need it. It's a much faster set up for me.
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

I live in the capital, and the birth place of Canada... and yes I'm speaking vaguely... But I live in an older building and it's just crap.. and where I live is at sea level. Oh and in Atlantic Canada what you may have heard of our storms... yeah we get bad ones because we are so close to the sea.
Yeah, I hear you have some nasty storms. Comes with living on the east coast of a continent, though obviously its much worse at some longtitudes than others...

It makes sense that would give some major power outages, particularly in older buildings.

I can't even imagine what living in such a place would be like...we get a storm every 1-2 years, and you'd probably call most of those beachweather...
Mine fits in the computer place in my desk and has a glass door that I can close, which is almost silent when I do that. Although when gaming I always have the door open... I also have my desk about 4" from the wall so the back of the computer has air flow...
Probably wise. Most antecs, including yours I think, sucks the air in at the front, so unless you also give it clearance at the front, the airflow will suffer.. Airflow out ~ airflow in, so it needs about similar clearance on both ends...well, that's my rule of thumb anyway.
AEmer wrote:I envy those silent designed cases as well...
Its not just that they're silently designed...it's also the cabling system. You run them along the backside of the plate where the motherboard is mounted, and there are little entrance points for all of them. Combined with modular cabling, theres litterally no cable clutter - and you don't have to use duct tape to accomplish it!

The macines are also made of rolled steel, but it seems much thinner and less stiff than the antec components...and with far fewer of those massive "beams"...

Granted, the p180 I have is built like a tank, but I don't think that's a particularly good thing. The panels have still warped slightly over time, and I don't believe it's much more resistant to getting dropped (if one should be so unlucky to fall at a flight of stairs with ones computer in ones arms, when one's going to a lan party....it's only happened once though), and there's just a ton of thick plastic and polymor to the entire enclosure... The Fractal Design ones just have foam to dampen noise. No BS foam. It makes the side panels feel heavy and cumbersome, even though they're only about 1/20th of an inch of steel (and thus also kindof floppy)...

Subjectively, theres no difference in how much noise it makes, and I can tell you that I take about 1/4th the time when putting a computer in an R3 compared to a p180.

But yeah, as I said, it's a complete carbon copy - the fractal one just comes with many improvements in materials, so it feels much roomier.
AEmer wrote: I'm also a Network Admin. I have VM Ware setup with several different types of server environments that I can test out and troubleshoot.
Yeah that I can believe will eat up a lot of space. As would 300 steam games.

But what you said about storing stuff digitally also makes a lot of sense. In 5-10 years when I don't even have books or documents in paper form, I've no idea what I'll fill my place up with...it's just...more space for dumb things, it seems to me. Maybe a rubber duck collection.
Jane_Denton
X-51

Post by Jane_Denton »

AEmer wrote: Probably wise. Most antecs, including yours I think, sucks the air in at the front, so unless you also give it clearance at the front, the airflow will suffer.. Airflow out ~ airflow in, so it needs about similar clearance on both ends...well, that's my rule of thumb anyway.

Its not just that they're silently designed...it's also the cabling system. You run them along the backside of the plate where the motherboard is mounted, and there are little entrance points for all of them. Combined with modular cabling, theres litterally no cable clutter - and you don't have to use duct tape to accomplish it!
My case has removable washable dust filters which is another reason I bought it. I like a clean case. So yeah there are 4 intake fans, 3 on the front and I have one on the side. The cabling is all secured under the mobo panel. I have everything zip tied so it does move. The only cables I can't control as much is the main power cable going to the mobo and my SATA cables. I have one PATA cable left which is for my DVD burner... however I almost never use it and have never gotten around to turfing it. I was going to replace it at my last build because there was a BluRay burner on sale for a really good price but when I hit the process button on my order it was sold out. Some bugger bought the last one from under me, never thought about it again till now. I hate moving my case when I don't have to, it's very very heavy... and I'm very very lazy... :giggle: I hardly see the effort worth it for a burner I hardly use... anyway the only time I'll shift my case around is when I take it out to remove the dust filters to clean them. Which is getting around that time.. they are getting kinda dust... stupid carpet in this rental...

Maybe when I remove to clean the dust filters I'll take a photo. I have one but it's outdated and I've added stuff to it since.