Graphics card question

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Grammatolatry
MJ12

Graphics card question

Post by Grammatolatry »

So I just found out the computer I've been playing on doesn't have a graphics card. I bought assassins creed 1 and the graphics lag 5-6 seconds behind the audio. Is it possible to buy one? If so, which one is best, but not bank-busting? I googled them and saw 4-figure numbers >.<
wink wonk
bobby 55
Illuminati

Re: Graphics card question

Post by bobby 55 »

Grammatolatry wrote:So I just found out the computer I've been playing on doesn't have a graphics card. I bought assassins creed 1 and the graphics lag 5-6 seconds behind the audio. Is it possible to buy one? If so, which one is best, but not bank-busting? I googled them and saw 4-figure numbers >.<
Yikes, you won't have to spend four figures. I think you also need a core duo processor to play that series. How much are you budgeting for the card?

Added: I checked the system requirements, and, while you might make do with a 512 megabyte card, I'd go for one that's one gigabyte. If you'd like to give us an estimate of what you're prepared to spend, I think between us all you'll get enough suggestions. Something like a GTX 460 as an example, should cost $250 max. There are better cards around but that should do the job for a reasonable price.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Grammatolatry
MJ12

Post by Grammatolatry »

250 sounds very reasonable. Is that in US dollars, though? For me im thinking the maximum is nz$300. It's weird because I can play DX HR just fine, but not assassins creed which is older.
wink wonk
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Grammatolatry wrote:250 sounds very reasonable. Is that in US dollars, though? For me im thinking the maximum is nz$300. It's weird because I can play DX HR just fine, but not assassins creed which is older.
That's Aussie dollars. What's the size of your processor?
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

We need the specs of your machine, maybe a picture from inside it of it's motherboard before we can make any exact recommendations, if you didn't put it together yourself.
Grammatolatry
MJ12

Post by Grammatolatry »

Okie doke. I'm definitely not a computer person, but here's what I've got:

windows 7
4gb ram
64-bit operating system
intel(r) core i3 CPU 540 @ 3.07GHz
Intel (R) HD Graphics <---according to Google that's the build-in graphics card(?)
DirectX11
wink wonk
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

Hrm. Yeah I'll definitely need you to take a picture of your computers innards, as well as a picture of the port you use for your monitor cable.

I think it's very weird that you have such a disparity between the performance of HR and Assassins creed.

Specs looks like your computer will handle another graphics card, but there's still not enough to go on.

I also need you to find the wattage specification of your power supply unit. We want to be sure that if you invest in a graphics card, your computer won't become unstable.
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

Oh, and you don't need to be a computer person to figure this out, don't worry. You'll need a philips screwdriver with a head that fits the screws (you'll want it to be too big rather than too small), or possibly a flat-head one, and you'll need to know where the cables go if you didn't plug things in yourself (take a picture, I'm sure you must have a camera phone or somesuch). Also, a flashlight.

The wattage should be on the PSU (power supply unit) itself, which is the origin of all the small cables. A picture of the most important-looking label on the PSU will probably do the trick, if you can't find it.

Computers aren't dangerous to muck about in, but be sure it's disconnected from everything before opening it, and go pet a radiator or faucet for a few seconds to eliminate static discharge before you take the side panel off...just touching either for a few seconds should do the trick...

Also, be on the lookout for any "warranty will be broken if you break this" stickers, so you know what you're getting yourself into, if you bought the computer as a finished system.