Pen and Paper RPGs

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

AEmer
Illuminati

Re: Pen and Paper RPGs

Post by AEmer »

Jonas wrote:But I do think the difference is fundamental, I'm just trying not to get into a debate about the nature of choice and freedom of will because I have no background in philosophy and I fear I will fare poorly in such a debate. I don't believe our options in most situations are limited in any easily divisible fashion, such a world view conflicts with the idea of the human brain as a true emergent system.

But I need to clarify something before I attempt to continue down that avenue: are we comparing videogames to real life or to a tabletop roleplaying game right now? Because the nature of tabletop roleplaying depends so heavily on the attitude and disposition of your game master that the unfolding of events can resemble real life (with options limited purely by the power of the player's imagination and the laws of reality) as easily as it can be completely identical to a computer game with all the restricted freedom and constant negotiation of power over the narrative between player and game as that typically entails.
I'm assuming a really good game master. One who plans out the events that will happen if the players do nothing for each session, and simply wings it as the players attempt to influence the events. He's also exceptional at winging. Also, I'm assuming an actual RPG, rather than freeform roleplaying.

That's a lot closer to the choice open to human beings in real life than videogames, but it's not quite real life, with all it's little trivialities and strange happenings.

The argument isn't different in nature from comparing videogames to real life, I don't believe, but it seems to me that making that comparison would be much harder to grasp and deal with.

Anyway, yeah, you probably are at a disadvantage in this discussion. While my background in philosophy is limited to a high-school class, I have studied logic and computability, so I'm very aware of just what computers are theoretically capable of. If I seem particularly firm in some of the things I write, that's because I think it follows from what I learned there. That doesn't means I couldn't have made a mistake somewhere, obviously, but you're probably ill-equiped to recognize if I have. So...I apologize if I sound patronizing, but I'll try to show you the background reasoning as best I can for someone without a background in these things, and you might be able to tell me where your disagreement lies, or where you think something funny is going on.

The simplest argument I can make when it comes to the easy divisibility of choice is the following:
You can always make a rule which slices an infinite spectrum in two.

Consider the following:
For every second of your life, you were either breathing in air, breathing out air, or holding your breath...or some combination. The seconds where you were breathing in air conform to the rule, "Jonas breathed in air during this second". The rest of the seconds do not.

Seconds are discrete (as in seperate, distinct) units, of course, but time doesn't need discrete units. You could just as well divide the time you spend alive using that rule, into the time which you were breathing in, and the time in which you were not.

In other words, if you can make a rule that classifies your actions a certain way, then you can put those actions into an equivalency class; all those actions are equivalent according to that rule.

My argument is, for any given situation, there will be a limited number of relevant rules you can make. You could obviously make an inifinite number of rules for infinite equivalency classes, but further down the line, only a limited number of those will turn out to ever be relevant. Infinite rules would be like...during this action, did you hesitate for 1/x seconds. Since x can assume any mathematical value, you could make any number of those rules, being ever more precise about exactly how hesitant you were during any of the infinite permutations of actions open to you. In other words, each of these infinitely many rules would still denominate equivalency classes filled with infinitely many actions.

With me so far?

Ok, so my argument is, during the storyline in Mass Effect, for each distinct situation you find yourself in, a limited number of rules put in by the designers seperate the infinite amount of actions open to you into equivalency classes. Infinite, you say? But usually I just get up to 5 choices for every node in a conversation!

Yes, but theoretically, the game could know how long you hesitated (which it does use on occasion). Same argument with regards to precision as above, although the game could probably only reach about 1 billion rules for hesitation per second.

The actions are still technically unique to you and your character, but because the game presents the equivalency classes much more overtly by giving you a list, it feels like your actions aren't.

So the big distinction here is, for Mass Effect, the rules governing the equivalency classes are chosen by the designers at the time of development, whereas the rules governing the equivalency classes of our tabletop roleplaying game don't have to be determined untill the game master has returned home and is planning the next session. He can decide between sessions which details of the players actions will turn out to be important, after the player has already made those actions.

So the question is, once the dungeon master returns home and decides on these rules, what options are open to him; which rules can he reasonably make? And how different are those rules compared to the ones a game designer could make?

Jaedars argument is, it is primarily a question of some orders of magnitude in increased responsiveness. That if the mass effect game developers pushed 1000 people through each situation in a P&P setting, put their actions into as many reasonable equivalency classes as possible (ie. steve and joe acted about the same, so they're the same class), and then put these in the game...and the game then allowed you to choose an action belonging within one of those classes, you would end up in the same equivalency class your dungeon master would have eventually put you in on account of your "unique" action.

Which I tend to agree with...though going over it again, I can imagine that if you're a very unique individual and you always choose things noone else thought of, then you may be forever alone in your equivalency class.

I think in the general case, that's not how it's going to be, and I think the group of people who behave so uniquely that none of 1000 other players would do sort of the same thing is very small. Take for instance my proud moment of decapitating the guard captain and putting his head in my bag. That's pretty unique, but it fell into the same equivalency class as simply making the body unrecognizable, or hiding it. I don't know that the GM had anything planned, and he may have eventually used it, which would probably make it unique enough among 1000 players to illicit a special response noone else got...but presumably, all we would get would be an extra combat encounter, or an extra conversation, both of which could theoretically happen during a video game in response to carrying contraband of some sort, so all humanoid bodyparts would merely need to be named contraband. You of all people know how incredibly responsive videogames can be made, because you made one =P

So yeah, I think it's theoretically possible to get videogames to be about as responsive as P&P for 95% of all players, discounting the improvised mannerisms and actions that put players into the equivalency classes.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

All right first of all, you provoked me a bit with your introduction about me being at a disadvantage because you've studied computer science. In many cases that might be true, but because you stated it the way you did, I feel a need to point out that your post contained nothing about computers and the way they work that I didn't already know. So in the future, if you feel it's necessary to start your post with a disclaimer like that, make sure you actually say something the other person doesn't know, or it just comes off as kind of condescending ;)

Now, there's a couple of reasons why I still don't agree with what you're saying. One is that you don't really account for resources (you do account a little for resources, but you don't really account for resources). Planning out 1000 possible actions for even one choice node in a game and then making sure each of them is accounted for with at least noticeable if not genuinely significant consequences is an incredible amount of work, and any RPG storyline ought to have several proper choice nodes instead of just one. Right off the bat, what you propose is completely unfeasible.

Secondly, when a videogame designer sets up choices and consequences during development, that's planning. The designer would start out with essentially unlimited possible choices to account for, then reduce and reduce and reduce until a manageable amount of options remain (probably three because everyone fucking loves the number three :P ). The designer is dealing with, according to your example, perhaps a thousand possible decisions. When the GM sets up consequences, he's dealing with one decision - the decision the player actually made. You're not worrying about the entire spectrum of possible decisions the player might want to make (which might as well be infinite as far as the time and resources you have available is concerned), you're only thinking about what actually happened. The difference is so huge that in the latter case, the GM doesn't even have to go home and plan things out, he can just improvise the consequences on the spot. The game designer invents the choices and the consequences. The GM only invents the consequences because the player handles the choices.

Finally, you've been skirting the edges of determinism. The idea that free will is an illusion because every event is determined by conditions that preclude anything else from happening. This is a valid (though fairly unpopular for good reason) philosophical thesis that for example is supported by that terrifying neurobiological research which determined that we actually act before we decide to act. In my opinion, this is irrelevant to the current discussion: whether consciousness is genuinely in control of our actions or merely a justification of our actions, the results ought to remain the same.

Regardless of whether you subscribe to that line of thought, here is the main difference in my mind between how a game designer interacts with the player and how a GM interacts with the players: playing a game is one emergent system (the designer's brain) attempting to predict and accomodate the workings of another emergent system (your brain) but with no actual capability to observe your interactions and adjust accordingly. A tabletop roleplaying game is typically 4-5 emergent systems (the brains of the GM and each player) interacting in real time. And the resources needed to change anything on the spot are infinitesimal, as opposed to game development where the cost of any change tends to be entirely unreasonable :)
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Aemer understood my point perfectly and put it more eloquently than I could, many <3
Jonas wrote:When the GM sets up consequences, he's dealing with one decision - the decision the player actually made.
Not so sure about this. I GM'd a couple of sessions(4) in rogue trader, in which players take the roles of... rogue traders which means that they have a starship and a carte blanche to do pretty much everything regardless of how many laws it breaks or how immediately executed most people would be for doing those things. When planning the sessions I spent quite some time thinking about what I would have to do to keep the session from immediately grinding to a halt if they made some strange choice. And really, I suspect all GM's plan a lot, so saying that they only have to look at one choice is a bit... exaggerated. The world you create has to be robust enough to handle every possible choice the PC's could make after all, even if you can delay thinking of the long term consequences.

Especially when you want to keep those damn dirt players from trying to skip the elaborate death traps you've set up, then you really have to think about the consequences beforehand, else its just cheating ;)

Not to mention that a developer could easily make a bunch of choices, but group them up so there's still only 3 consequences or whatever while still allowing for more players to pick an option that feels right. Yes yes scarcity of resources and what not, but if you look at any of bioware's latest games, surely you must agree that there's an awful lot of writing in the codex's and galactic encyclopedias that might be better spent elsewhere? Flavor(text) is quite an essential part of an rpg if you ask me.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

Jonas wrote:All right first of all, you provoked me a bit with your introduction about me being at a disadvantage because you've studied computer science. In many cases that might be true, but because you stated it the way you did, I feel a need to point out that your post contained nothing about computers and the way they work that I didn't already know. So in the future, if you feel it's necessary to start your post with a disclaimer like that, make sure you actually say something the other person doesn't know, or it just comes off as kind of condescending ;)
Then I feel the need to point out that computer science is the science of computing, not computers. Were you previously aware that you can approach a computational problem as one of determining whether a piece of data belongs in an equivalency class? and that the approach is logically sound for the reasons I described in the last post? Could I have used the word equivalency class and you'd have known what I was on about?

Anyway, that's besides the point. You know I didn't write those things to be condescending, and you probably also know I was aware that it could be interpreted as being condescending, but that I decided to put it there anyway, and maybe that was confusing.

All I can say is, I had a motive: To recognize that the discussion isn't one we can approach as though we have the same background, or even think in similar ways about it. That I needed to adjust the way I discuss in order for the discussion to be fruitful.. And to explain why I felt this was the case.
Now, there's a couple of reasons why I still don't agree with what you're saying. One is that you don't really account for resources (you do account a little for resources, but you don't really account for resources). Planning out 1000 possible actions for even one choice node in a game and then making sure each of them is accounted for with at least noticeable if not genuinely significant consequences is an incredible amount of work, and any RPG storyline ought to have several proper choice nodes instead of just one. Right off the bat, what you propose is completely unfeasible.
I don't believe I suggested 1000 possible actions. I suggested building a set of equivalency classes based on 1000 playtests.
In reality, you'd probably end up with something like 50 or less "interesting" equivalency classes.

And no, I don't account for resources in any particular degree. If it's a question of more resources equals higher fidelity, then I believe my work here is done. In fact, I think if you had a GM acting as an interpreter, and had players speak out their decisions rather than select from a list, and he would choose the correct equivalency class (thereby lending his brain as computational power for interpreting the action or dialogue), I think a robust game with merely 10-100 times the resources of bioware would come exceptionally close to a D&D roleplaying game experience in terms of freedom.
You're not worrying about the entire spectrum of possible decisions the player might want to make (which might as well be infinite as far as the time and resources you have available is concerned), you're only thinking about what actually happened. The difference is so huge that in the latter case, the GM doesn't even have to go home and plan things out, he can just improvise the consequences on the spot.
Except I don't agree that it may as well be infinite. I think a finite number of equivalent actions for a given situation, 50 for example, is close enough that the player will feel they really own the decision themselves....and sure, you'll have to railroad the player some afterwards if you don't want to branch the story, but most P&P campaigns would do just that as well, and if they do, they aren't suddenly inelligible to be classified as roleplaying games.

Note that I'm not talking about 50 choices for a conversation node, but rather 50 for a conversation resolution. 50 unique exit points from a conversation with one of your squadmates in mass effect 2, for example; that should cover all the bases well enough. I posit at most 5 in 100 players would feel frustrated with not being able to resolve it as they wanted.
writ about causality
...I don't believe causality is relevant, no. I don't think it even ties into it. It might seem like I do, but I really don't.
To be honest, the reality we live in presupposes the concept of quantums - units of things that cannot be split into smaller fractions. Reality is, at it's lowest levels, discrete, and not infinite. I think a discrete reality fundamentally cannot be causal. Causality exists within complex systems within our world, sure, but I don't think it's an inherent attribute, because then all the siliness surrounding quantums of things just wouldn't appear the way they do. Radioactive decay is the best example of an action which litterally happens completely unprovoked. Anyway, that's an aside.
playing a game is one emergent system (the designer's brain) attempting to predict and accomodate the workings of another emergent system (your brain) but with no actual capability to observe your interactions and adjust accordingly. A tabletop roleplaying game is typically 4-5 emergent systems (the brains of the GM and each player) interacting in real time. And the resources needed to change anything on the spot are infinitesimal, as opposed to game development where the cost of any change tends to be entirely unreasonable :)
Well, if that's the case, then it's a question of how many orders of magnitude the difference is? 10^3? 10^6? 10^9?

I think it's probably around 10^12 the amount of resources to get the same level of interaction, but I don't actually know. A million biowares working together to create a campaign?

Yeah, I could see that being as responsive as a GM could ever be :mrgreen:

But I think a mere 10^8 would get you close enough that it's legitimately still a roleplaying experience without anything being in doubt about that. Is 100 biowares unrealistic? Yeah, but what we have now is merely the primitive cousin of the proper product, I guess I'd say.
Undisputed
UNATCO

Post by Undisputed »

I enjoyed playing these often as a kid, unfortunately its harder to get large groups together as we get older and have more priorities.

I found a online turned based game a long time ago that emulates that same play style but can't remember the name, I need to find it again so we can give it a shot.

Oh right, here it is http://www.fantasygrounds.com/home/