Happy Newyear!

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

AEmer
Illuminati

Re: Happy Newyear!

Post by AEmer »

link or it didn't happen :-D
There could easily be more things going on; the simple act of sharing might have some influence, but what if you share with someone close to you? Then you might expect them to help you rather than assume responsibility yourself, which would lessen the likelyhood of succeeding.

On the other hand, if you share something and you persist in assuming responsibility, but simultaneously receive support? That improves the likelyhood of success...at least according to a study I read a year ago.

Besides, now that you've told us about the study we know there's a possible caveat, so you may just have fixed the problem by mentioning it ;-)
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

AEmer wrote:link or it didn't happen :-D
HAH! I'm done with university, I don't have to source a single fucking thing I say ever again. You can't make me!
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

In that case I'm going to haphazzardly claim that the study didn't come up with a good solution for the control group problem.

That is, resolutions to do things come from people who want to resolve to do things openly. People who resolve to do things privately can't be easily located, because why would they reveal a private resolution unless it came true? So you'd have selection bias if you tried to pick them out from an unlimited pool.

So you'd have to select a group of common people (...except it's nearly always college students who are being used, but lets assume they avoided that...), and then question them about their resolution behaviour. Then you'd have to section up the commonly public resolving people into two groups, one where they hide their resolutions and another where they don't. Then you'd have the commonly private resolving people divvied up into two groups just the same.

Then you would try to convince some people of either group to go against their natural instincts, and then you'd see how it'd turn out. Then you'd try to control for the people who didn't do as you said. Then you'd try to control for the influence you've had by trying to make people do something that was unnatural to them.

You'd also have to control for all the people who privately resolved to do things because you couldn't have them ackknowledge their resolutions to you because then they wouldn't be privately resolving...and then you'd just have to hope that they'd later on be honest about the resolutions they made whether or not they made it, even though the private resolvers may mainly have been resolving privately because the things they wanted to resolve about would be things they didn't want publicly known, or didn't want publicly known if they failed....

The last bit, so far as I can tell, is something you can't control for because it's a catch22.

So uhm. Yeah. Link or it didn't happen :mrgreen:
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

In 2012, I resolve to come to Århus, visit your apartment, and smack you in the face.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

That's the spirit!