The pain of being a modder

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

The pain of being a modder

Post by Hassat Hunter »

TSLRCM 1.8... today...
AURORA (well, Oddyssey), I HATE YOU... By Hassat Hunter

So today I lost an hour of my life fixing an issue that was only brought about due to crappy engine issues.
Remember those droids in the underground Czerka base on Telos? The one you probably blew up with the console. Or otherwise become active when activating the reactor? No, this is not how they are supposed to be inactive but trying to get you through the glass and blow up 4000 feet (slight exaggeration) from their charging station, I already solved that in the past (I spend too much time on that damn module).
So, a lot of potential fixes I tried. Rewriting where they were supposed to go, picking another waypoint, extending/limiting their time... nothing at all.
Until one time I was wondering if because I was using a savegame, not loading the module fresh my modifications were not 'taken'. One easy way to find out, take out their hostility line.
Guess what?

Without the line they all stormed right out of the pen. What the hell???
So using this knowledge I thought, if I reverse the order, that will work right? So first hostile, small time later the move. Since hostile ends move? Not really, they still standed still.
A few tries later I did finally fix it, by first having them move all the way as "friendly", then making them hostile afterwards once they were done (or somewhat, as all of them through one door does mesh 1 or 2 back there being semi-stuck), assuming the player never reaches them before then (which is impossible, I checked).

And now I am never going to touch that damn module again.

So, anybody else wants to share their frustration with their game engines weirdness affecting their mods?
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
AEmer
Illuminati

Re: The pain of being a modder

Post by AEmer »

So, in order to get the fight up and going, you had to turn the bots friendly. If you turned them hostile, they became friendly.

Yes. This is irony.