The Elder Scrolls - Skyrim

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Duke Floss
UNATCO

The Elder Scrolls - Skyrim

Post by Duke Floss »

Anybody played this yet?

I have put about 100 hours in - it is easily the best ES game since Morrowind. However I still find there are some things missing:

- Steatlh while decent is lacking huge. It needs knockouts and a better body hiding system. I want to be able to make it through the game without being forced to kill if I don't have to.

- Hardcore mode. Yeah turning up the difficulty makes the game slightly more difficult but it doesn't sufficiently add enough challenge outside of fighting. I wish there was at least a basic hunger/sleep needs system, more realistic weight system (I shouldn't be able to truck around 3 sets of armor and 10 swords). Also the environment needs to be more threatening - waterfalls and rapids should have deadly force, certain mountains should not be scalable, etc.

- Karma system of some sort - quest choices, associations, factions, etc. should all fall into a dynamic social system.

There are few other nitpicks I have - but for the most part this game goes above and beyond past ES games and restores my faith in the series after the terrible Oblivion.
http://www.heavyjack.com - Quality Programming ~ Entertainment, News, Reviews, Games and Sports TV with an emphasis on the HEAVY JACK.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: The Elder Scrolls - Skyrim

Post by Jonas »

Yep, finished with it after 114 hours. Completed: main storyline, Stormcloaks questline, Thieves' Guild, Dark Brotherhood, Companions questline. May at some point make a new character to check out the Imperial questline, the Mage's college, and the Bard's college, but I need a long break from it for now.

Agreed on stealth.

Don't need a hard core mode, but it wouldn't hurt as long as it's optional.

Not a fan of karma systems, but I'm all for blocking off more content based on player choices, like with the two mutually exclusive civil war storylines. In a similar vein, I wish there were skill level requirements for some of the guilds, or that you couldn't do the Companions if you were in the Thieves' Guild, etc.

Definitely enjoyed the game.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Duke Floss
UNATCO

Post by Duke Floss »

yeah I thought karma system because I've been playing Fallout 3 GOTY over the weekend and couldn't think of a way to write what I wanted out of it. But you hit the nail on the head - guild level requirements and restrictions, and for a consequence based choice system. I have nothing against karma systems but I think in Fallout3 the system was more than a little wonky and felt unnecessary most of the time.

The biggest thing I want to see from a hard core option would be environmental dangers and obstacles. I should not be able to swim through the rapid waters and rocks in a heavy river without risking serious injury or death.

On the positive side I think my favourite thing about Skyrim is that they've finally designed an excellent skill set system - well that and the water is purdy to look at :P
http://www.heavyjack.com - Quality Programming ~ Entertainment, News, Reviews, Games and Sports TV with an emphasis on the HEAVY JACK.
Undisputed
UNATCO

Post by Undisputed »

If you have a PC everything you mentioned can be modded, the community is already working hard and as far as I know a SDK has still not been released yet.
Duke Floss
UNATCO

Post by Duke Floss »

I'm on Xbox so no mods for me this time round - but I am holding out hope, Todd Howard said he would like to get community mods delivered to the console versions if Microsoft/Sony would open up to the idea.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/vi ... n-Consoles