Doouble Fine's new adventure

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

gamer0004
Illuminati

Re: Doouble Fine's new adventure

Post by gamer0004 »

Jonas wrote:Your logic is a little hard to follow, mate. Why not just pledge the $15 for the digital download then? :-s
My hoping they will reduce shipping cost :D Otherwise I'll probably pledge $15 indeed.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

The codex is running a combined fund to get a kodexian statue put into the game. Naturally, I donated 20$.

Can't help it, I am very optimistic about this, despite the risks.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

Funded with over 3.3M. Well, this better be Grim Fandango 2.
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Funded with over 3.3M. Well, this better be Grim Fandango 2.
Damn right.
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

Two other interesting kickstarter projects: The Banner Saga and Americana Dawn. I am inclined to back both projects just for the sake of it. I funded Wasteland 2 as well and I'm not that excited about the game itself TBH, same for the banner saga. The art style of the banner saga looks pretty really positively cool.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Think people are going overboard on kickstarter right now, I could see a lot of these projects failing simply because people have already donated to the ones before. If I were bannor saga guys, I'd have waited at least until wasteland 2 was over.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

Me too. Still, seems like they'll make it. But waiting probably would've gotten them more money.
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

Kickstarter has always been a difficult and unnerving proposition...

But it's really helped some people out. Erfworld (the comic), for instance, has garnered a massive amount of support through kickstarter, which is really awesome, but zioneyes has also received massive support...whereupon they completely missed the deadline they set.

Kickstarter is a way for getting direct investment, but the investors get fairly shoddy protection compared to normal. In return, projects that would sound like traditionally shoddy investments can actually happen. Now I really want a pair of zioneyez, but I haven't put my cash where my mouth is, because if I'm getting a new pair of glasses, they better be in my hands when I buy them.

But I'm not sure the steam will truly go out of the kickstarter trend, because people are pertinently aware of the risks. They will bitch and moan, as has been the case with zioneyez, and a lot of people pretend to be unware of the risks...but I don't think it'll necessarily keep them from coming back when the potential for amazing payoff is still there.
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

Kickstarter update: Kickstarter itself seems to really kick off. Besides the successful funding of the Double Fine Adventure, Takedown (formerly Hardcore tactical shooter) has been successfully funded (but only just, and I haven't participated in funding myself due to the terrible pitch. I don't have much faith in that project), The Banner Saga is almost at $400,000 with 14 days to go (they only asked for $100k; I pledged $10), Wasteland 2 has gone over two million dollars (pledged $15 myself), and at 2.1 million dollars Chris Avellone from Obsidian will join the team to do writing, Shadowrun Returns has raised more than $500,000 in little more than a day, and looks pretty cool so I'm thinking of funding as well.
Thing is, Kickstarter has become a rather big expense for myself :P I've spent more than $70 already on funding games. But oh well, it feels good to give something back to great developers :)

Anyway, what's so remarkable about these projects is that apparently Tim Schafer's Adventure was not a unique happening. It has not made it impossible for other projects to get funding, as some feared. In fact, we have had several projects of hundreds of thousands of dollars and even another project which has raised millions of dollars since. Even smaller projects like Pixel Sand and Americana Dawn have profited from the attention Double Fine's Adventure raised to Kickstarter. So it seems like everybody wins.
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

@ Gamer

Appreciate the update. I agree that it's considerably more interesting now.

I don't know that I'll actually be playing any of these games - but I do know that if some of them pan out, that's really awesome.

I also like Kickstarter simply for being a huge PR and advertising spotlight. Getting your kickstarted up and kicked off is probably worth the donation contributions alone in terms of advertising. It's a really big boost, and that's really, really cool.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

gamer0004 wrote:Kickstarter update: Kickstarter itself seems to really kick off. Besides the successful funding of the Double Fine Adventure, Takedown (formerly Hardcore tactical shooter) has been successfully funded (but only just, and I haven't participated in funding myself due to the terrible pitch. I don't have much faith in that project), The Banner Saga is almost at $400,000 with 14 days to go (they only asked for $100k; I pledged $10), Wasteland 2 has gone over two million dollars (pledged $15 myself), and at 2.1 million dollars Chris Avellone from Obsidian will join the team to do writing, Shadowrun Returns has raised more than $500,000 in little more than a day, and looks pretty cool so I'm thinking of funding as well.
Thing is, Kickstarter has become a rather big expense for myself :P I've spent more than $70 already on funding games. But oh well, it feels good to give something back to great developers :)

Anyway, what's so remarkable about these projects is that apparently Tim Schafer's Adventure was not a unique happening. It has not made it impossible for other projects to get funding, as some feared. In fact, we have had several projects of hundreds of thousands of dollars and even another project which has raised millions of dollars since. Even smaller projects like Pixel Sand and Americana Dawn have profited from the attention Double Fine's Adventure raised to Kickstarter. So it seems like everybody wins.
You better save a few bucks for Chris Jone's new Tex Murphy game ;) after that I'd say no more you've had enough :D.
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

This is Studio:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k36GUxgt ... ature=plcp

He's a league of legends commentator. He makes videoes that explain and comment on the choices and skills of players undertaking league of legends games.

He just reached his kickstarter goal: 4k U$ to finance his gaming and commentary for the next 5 months. Presumably he's going to use that money for food and rent.

It's not a lot of money, but apparently it can sustain him on a diet of noodles, coffee and gaming. He reached his goal in less than a week.

I fucking love kickstarter.
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

For those of you who like HOMM: there is a kickstarter for Legends of Eisenwald. Looks pretty promising and it's almost completed already. I'm thinking about pledging but it's not really the kind of game I like and Kickstarter has cost me so much money already...
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

I...don't particularly fancy the look of that, and it doesn't really seem like a HOMM series game.
A game that relies that heavily on atmosphere and storyline will need damn good ones, and the team just doesn't seem like they'll be able to deliver. They strike me as incredibly earnest, but not particularly enthusiastic.

When the guys who make King Arthur presented the first game with bad accents and broken english, they seemed positively gleeful. You could tell that they took an established genre - war games - and turned it on its head by adding crazy new elements like teleportation and weathermagic.

And you know, maybe they are covering up some of their feelings and that's why they don't seem enthusiastic, but I have no way of knowing.

This comes from a guy who absolutely loves Game of Thrones, and Homm3, AND who played King Arthur and loved the RPG elements. I think the only gaming demographic more core to them than me would be king's bounty: armored princess players.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

To me, this is just more competition.

Do not want ;)
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking