Expeditions: Conquistador

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: Expeditions: Conquistador

Post by Jonas »

Don't know what would've given you that impression.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Clandestine
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Yupz: I've been a productive member of society* again since last october!

...which is no doubt why my post-rate has slacked off. :-/

*for a given definition of productive. And society.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

I would but I ended up getting a Samsung Note instead of the Nokia I was eyeing up. If you release an Android version I'll buy that instead :)
LeoBad
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by LeoBad »

Oh this is great!
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

I found out my dad has a windows phone (some htc) that keeps crashing every 5 minutes or so. But I still got to play the trial, I liked it, but:
  • Turning the pages is not really intuitive (you have to tap in the triangular place where there is NO page? It's very close to the other buttons ... This seriously took me a minute to figure out, swiping, tapping the actual corner of the paper that was folded up, clicking random buttons ... )
  • There is too much text on a small screen, or maybe the font is too small for me
  • Every night "Nothing else transpires", well, then don't show me anything.
  • Hunting always shows three screens: "what will you do", "success/fail", "a text explaining the results of success/fail". The last two can be combined I think, or shown only once as a tutorial.
  • To close the trade screen, it says 'end event'
  • On a small screen it is hard to scroll the map
  • Objectives in FOW are not shown
I made some notes, but then left them at my parent's house so this is from memory.

Anyway, I still liked it because:
  • The graphics are really nice
  • Besides my first gripe up there, the rest of the gameplay is rather self-explanatory
  • Decisions occasionally had a follow-up later
I have to say I didn't get very far into the game (about a half hour), but if the phone crashes every five minutes (some kind of hardware malfunction btw) it's really hard to stay motivated ...
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

EER wrote:Turning the pages is not really intuitive (you have to tap in the triangular place where there is NO page? It's very close to the other buttons ... This seriously took me a minute to figure out, swiping, tapping the actual corner of the paper that was folded up, clicking random buttons ... )
Uh the hit box is square - it covers the fold and the empty space. Maybe your fingers are just fat? ;)
There is too much text on a small screen, or maybe the font is too small for me
Fair enough but there's nothing to do about that. We designed the game on a Lumia, and we just don't have the resources to implement GUI scaling on different phone types. Not to mention we don't have the money to buy more different phones to test on :(
Every night "Nothing else transpires", well, then don't show me anything.
That's a consequence of how our event system works. I can look into options for eliminating the redundancy for the next patch, but the outlook is dim.
Hunting always shows three screens: "what will you do", "success/fail", "a text explaining the results of success/fail". The last two can be combined I think, or shown only once as a tutorial.
Yeah I get your point, but I'm not changing that. Aesthetic decision.
To close the trade screen, it says 'end event'
But only when closing the trade screen actually ends the event, right? If there's more text in the event, it should just be a page fold. Is it?
On a small screen it is hard to scroll the map
Sorry.
Objectives in FOW are not shown
Oh yeah that's on our to-do list for the next patch actually, we're going to always reveal the hex when you get a goal somewhere you haven't already been.
I have to say I didn't get very far into the game (about a half hour), but if the phone crashes every five minutes (some kind of hardware malfunction btw) it's really hard to stay motivated ...
Thanks for giving it a try. I'm sorry you had to play it on a bad phone :(

BTW in the Aztec campaign, there's waaaaay more choice and consequence ;)
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

Once I get my hands on a Lumia, I'll definitely give it another chance. I will blame (some of) my issues on the phone for now then ;)

Re hitbox: I'm going to blame the phone for that then ;)
Re trading: I just didn't see it as an event. I am trading, if I want to stop trading, I stop trading. 'End event' seems to be used because that's how it works internally, and as an end user ... I don't necessarily care.
Re scrolling: It's because the movable hexagons cover most of the screen space, and if you tap any of those, you'll move there. Even if you were going for a stroke or pinch.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know :)
I will have to try and get a Lumia in here.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

EER wrote:Re trading: I just didn't see it as an event. I am trading, if I want to stop trading, I stop trading. 'End event' seems to be used because that's how it works internally, and as an end user ... I don't necessarily care.
I understand your argument, but trading is meant to be a part of the event. In fact some of the events are there just so you can do some trading. Of course, if we get more people questioning the way this works, we'll change it. But I think it makes perfect sense.
Re scrolling: It's because the movable hexagons cover most of the screen space, and if you tap any of those, you'll move there. Even if you were going for a stroke or pinch.
Ah yeah I know about that - it doesn't work quite well even on a Lumia. I'm not sure what to do about it.
Anyway, just wanted to let you know :)
I will have to try and get a Lumia in here.
I do appreciate the feedback (if I'm coming across as a little too direct, it's only because you're a friend, so I don't have to be all professional about it ;)). If you end up buying the game, I would very much appreciate if you leave a review on the marketplace (not asking for 5 stars, just whatever you deem fair!)
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

Sure no problem! But you can imagine I'm not buying it for a phone that crashes every five minutes, probably will if and when I get the Lumia :)
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Of course :P
Jonas Wæver