Expeditions: Conquistador

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

AEmer
Illuminati

Re: Expeditions: Conquistador

Post by AEmer »

@Jonas
Terry Pratchet and Douglas Adams both have lighthearted, humoristic writing styles.
A liquid that was not quite, but almost, completely unlike tea
I'm not sure that what adams does with a sentence like this is particularly different from describing an oxen as 'delicious-looking'...but if there actually is a distinction you need to be concerned with, it'll be that your colloquialisms stand out more...which, as I explained, I can't actually judge if they do.

I'm not a writer so I won't tell you how to write your game or claim to know better, and on top of that I'm too close to you to judge how outside people will react to colloquial writing patterns well established within the communities we've been parts of. But I can point out when I get a vibe, and that's what I did here.

Did I only get the vibe because I wasn't reading the sentence within the context of the game? maybe, I honestly can't say. But on the other hand, supposing I hadn't gotten the vibe, that wouldn't imply the nonexistance of a problem - it'd just mean that I wouldn't have a clue that it might be there, which it might or might not be regardless of my getting a vibe.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

EER wrote:Are we talking about that one game with the hexagons and conquistadors? And the character aptly named 'van Snikkel' (heheheh)?

If not, I am confused. If so, I'm still confused because I have not seen a prior reference to it in this topic.
T'was said, but not in so many words:
Jonas wrote:
Jaedar wrote:Looks very similar to that beta/alpha thing you showed on this forum earlier, I assume this is what became of it?
Precisely :)
Thanks for the heads up on the website btw, we checked it out on our phones and it does indeed look particularly awful. We'll put our 2D artist on the case as soon as possible.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Clandestine
Hashi
Silhouette

Post by Hashi »

The game will be released for Windows Phone 7 in March 2012.

Lol do many people even own one of those? I would think most own ipads and all sort of other "i" shit that apple pumps out for morons to consume. Surely it would be good to release on those devices too?
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Regarding "delicious-looking", I thought it was fine. It's basically like the game is telling you "no, seriously: you should totally get yourself one of those oxen. Or..hey, maybe two, eh?" *nudge nudge*

Also, it serves to remind you they're definitely food, and not beasts of burden (-2 to encumberance!) or whatever.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Hashi wrote:Lol do many people even own one of those? I would think most own ipads and all sort of other "i" shit that apple pumps out for morons to consume. Surely it would be good to release on those devices too?
The install base is pretty small, but the marketplace is even sparser, and there are no games there at all like what we're doing, so we're gonna stand out and hopefully appeal to a lot of people looking for something less arcade-ish that's still reasonably light weight. Furthermore, Nokia is starting to churn out a new generation of smartphones with WP7, and Windows 8 is right around the corner as well, which is consolidated across desktop and mobile platforms.

We'd like to release on iOS and Android too, of course, but porting isn't a trivial matter, so we'd rather try to get funding for a proper PC version of this game first, with a tactical combat system and character progression and everything, and then if that doesn't come through, we'll return to the mobile game and see what we can do about getting it out to a larger audience :)
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

I'm quite interested in WP7, seems like a really nice OS, and it's not too expensive.
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

DDL wrote:Regarding "delicious-looking", I thought it was fine. It's basically like the game is telling you "no, seriously: you should totally get yourself one of those oxen. Or..hey, maybe two, eh?" *nudge nudge*
I agree with everything you said, but I'd be remiss if I didn't report on things standing out to me, and for whatever reason, this did.
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

@Jonas

It sounds almost like the place where you want to take this is fallout in the jungle, except rather than locations rendered in isometric 2d, you've got choose your own adventure encounters....?

Also, I don't think it'd take too much time to design a tactical combat system. I mean, it depends on the graphics, but it's mostly gameplay design, and we know you can crank that shit out faster than than most cats can do something cute...

And because I feel like it, here's a link to a video of an old game with the weirdest tactical combat system you'll ever see:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hJuY7iSMck

So yeah, I hope you get a bit of funding for a pc version :-)
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

AEmer wrote:
And because I feel like it, here's a link to a video of an old game with the weirdest tactical combat system you'll ever see:
Good grief! I won't be playing that game anytime soon. I could only manage five minutes of the video. :)
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

AEmer wrote:It sounds almost like the place where you want to take this is fallout in the jungle, except rather than locations rendered in isometric 2d, you've got choose your own adventure encounters....?
Yeah pretty much, actually. Which means more of the focus of the game is moved to the world map and your navigation of it.
Also, I don't think it'd take too much time to design a tactical combat system. I mean, it depends on the graphics, but it's mostly gameplay design, and we know you can crank that shit out faster than than most cats can do something cute...
Designing it is easy. Implementing it is hard :P
Hahah that's actually kind of clever. Neat idea to make a hybrid of the typical first-person with a top-down grid so you can see the positions of all your guys. I mean it was always pretty weird to control 4 different people in first-person in the Might & Magic games...
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

That looks awesome Jonas. I love the art direction you've taken. I hope this is successful on Winphone 7 so that you'll eventually get the chance to port it to IOS and Android (As this would greatly influence your market potential- since Android and IOS have larger markets over Winphone 7). Best of luck with the release.
HOW DARE YOU QUESTION AVATAR... I mean.... ... Albion..

Honestly though Albion is an awesome game, I highly recommend it.. Just realize though that the FP controls are annoying- they're Daggerfall bad.
I don't really know what the game's like, obviously.
Its a bit of a mix between Sid Meires Pirates (such as food management, relationships with characters and factions, equipment management, plus how the towns work) and very minimally Civilization (a lot of the "Discovery" elements reminded me of the Village Huts in Civ). Its a very solid game design, but I agree more screenshots would go a long way- specifically screenshots of the world map and any graphical elements of interest.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

So who here has a Windows 7 phone and 5 bucks to spare? ;)

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/apps/ ... 89b1828a75
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

I'll grab it in a couple of days when I'll have normal service and a pay cheque. :P
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
DDL

Post by DDL »

Huh. Well I don't have a windows phone (hell, until recently I still had a nokia 1610), but I do have a spare 5 bux (and would like to support everything Jonas does, coz he's awesome), so does anyone want me to buy them a copy? (if this is, in fact, possible)
that guy
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by that guy »

I thought you were unemployed :O