Expeditions: Conquistador

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

BOOM! (shakalaka)

http://logicartists.com/

...thoughts?

[EDIT] Game is out for Windows Phone 7: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/apps/ ... 89b1828a75
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Clandestine
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Re: Expeditions: Conquistador

Post by DDL »

KILL HIM AND TAKE BOTH OXEN
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

How far are you in design/development? Is the fact that the Hunter's name is Ella indicative of a Spanish woman in the new world, if so, would she be a huntress? Does that even matter?

So, basically, what kind of thoughts are you looking for? I've already posted some comments on your Facebook album, but they might not be appropriate if you're too early in the process.

Also, now I need to get a windows phone. Damnit.
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

Looks good. Looks fun.

I can't get terribly excited about the theme, but it isn't overused and it is interesting.

It's not fundamentally different from a post apocalyptic zompocalypse game, or a sci-fi apocalypse game, or even a medieval fantasy game - but it is interesting.

The gameplay itself looks to remind me of Kaptajn Kaper - which you should check out for no other reason than that it's danish and has a similar approach to resolving certain situations, and which does have some imminently steal'able design ideas. Old though.

The site itself looks good. It looks professional enough, but it reminds me slightly of how the site for heroes of might and magic 3 may have looked back in the day. Not sure that tells you anything, but that's my impression.

Also, the yellow blackboarded font on the resources screen? Looks terrible on my monitor. It might actually look terrible in general.

I cannot for the life of me read the topmost word written in it.

Another small thing. In the interactive dialogue, consider adding icons to the various options. Kindof like dragon age, except more meaningful :P A sword, a deaths head, a bag of money or a coin... Just a little bit of markup.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

Will it be released for Android too? It looks great!
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

DDL wrote:KILL HIM AND TAKE BOTH OXEN
+2 points for roleplaying.
AEmer wrote:The gameplay itself looks to remind me of Kaptajn Kaper - which you should check out for no other reason than that it's danish and has a similar approach to resolving certain situations, and which does have some imminently steal'able design ideas. Old though.
Ah yeah I've heard about that. I'll see if I can acquire a copy.
The site itself looks good. It looks professional enough, but it reminds me slightly of how the site for heroes of might and magic 3 may have looked back in the day. Not sure that tells you anything, but that's my impression.
Perfect :D
Also, the yellow blackboarded font on the resources screen? Looks terrible on my monitor. It might actually look terrible in general.
It looks pretty good on a mobile phone, in my opinion :-)

But we're aware that some of the fonts aren't rendered very well, we'll be looking into that in a bit.
Another small thing. In the interactive dialogue, consider adding icons to the various options. Kindof like dragon age, except more meaningful :P A sword, a deaths head, a bag of money or a coin... Just a little bit of markup.
Yeah there's no quick way to do that in our current system, but I hope we can do something like that in the PC version.
nerdenstein wrote:Will it be released for Android too? It looks great!
Probably not. We're using the WP7 version as a demo to get funding for a PC version, which is going to be bigger and have a tactical combat system (it'll be more like King's Bounty, is what I'm saying).
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

It looks rather nice, though the number of screenshots is a bit limited so I don't really know what the game's like, obviously. But I like the way it looks (as well as the website).
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Looks very similar to that beta/alpha thing you showed on this forum earlier, I assume this is what became of it?

Looks pretty good, site looks very professional. Can't say much about the actual game though having not played it(on a phone) or enough mobile games to know how high the bar is.

Like how you seem to be going for a learn as you go approach.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Was hoping to get my Lumia 800 this month, but looks like I'll have to wait another month - will give this a go if it's still available then.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Wot Jaedar said.
I too can only get hold of an Android device. Good fortune (in both senses of the word) to you. :)
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Jaedar wrote:Looks very similar to that beta/alpha thing you showed on this forum earlier, I assume this is what became of it?
Precisely :)
DaveW wrote:Was hoping to get my Lumia 800 this month, but looks like I'll have to wait another month - will give this a go if it's still available then.
We got a Lumia in the office to test on. I think it's only a 700 though. Great device, actually, I was surprised at how nice WP7 is - only drawback is that it has Bing built into it, but you can always go to Google's website for online searches, of course.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

Oh, also...delicious-looking?

While I know you and I love your colloquialisms, and they worked incredibly well in TNM because the audience could be expected to understand them as humor and so on, I'm not sure it fits the theme, and it could seem foreign or outright alien to some people.

I'm not able to judge, of course, since I'm one of the people who do understand...it it's just something I thought felt off, and now I've tried to articulate why I think that is.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Thanks, have you played the whole thing though*? It doesn't in any way strive to hit an authentic tone, there's too much text in the game for me to trust that that sort of thing can hold on to players' attentions. The writing is all pretty light-hearted :)

* Not a rhetorical question, given that I released the demo around here a year ago, and it had much of the same text in it.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

Jaedar wrote:Can't say much about the actual game though having not played it(on a phone) or enough mobile games to know how high the bar is.
I think decent games for mobile devices is seriously lacking at the moment.
Okay, so the only games I've forked out for so far is the Android Humble Bundle which consisted of EDGE, Osmos, World of Goo and Toki Tori. All of which are pretty good games (I've killed many a bus journey with EDGE and World of Goo) but aside from that, I've not found many other games, specifically made for mobile devices, that have held my interest. So something like this is a welcome addition to the market (despite it not being for Android but my point still stands). If the controls are comfortable enough to be easily picked up and played on your mobile device in a spare moment, it adds to the appeal. Plus, there are only so many rounds of Tetris and Bubble Shoot you can go through before being completely sick with them.

I've found that I spend far more time playing Playstation 1 and Game Boy Advance Games on my phone than I do games that were made specifically for my system.
I'm not sure if it's just that there is an element of nostalgia in playing these games but I currently have Spyro the Dragon, Theme Hospital, Crash Bandicoot 3, Hogs of War and Pandemonium on my phone and they are such a blast to play. The only issue I have is that the controls aren't so comfortable. I've had to substitute the Camera and Volume controls as Shoulder buttons rather than trying to use the on screen overlay pad.
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

Thanks, have you played the whole thing though*?
Are we talking about that one game with the hexagons and conquistadors? And the character aptly named 'van Snikkel' (heheheh)?

If not, I am confused. If so, I'm still confused because I have not seen a prior reference to it in this topic.

I know I said that the website was great and I had no comment, but then I opened the website on my mobile phone (the presumably target audience) and noticed there is no mobile website. In fact I was not able to get all text on the screen. So I amend my statement to say "The website is great and I have no comment! On PC..." :)
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!