What are you playing? Mass Effect 3 edition

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Jaedar
Illuminati

Re: What are you playing? Mass Effect 3 edition

Post by Jaedar »

You forgot legion ddl.

Legion was awesome.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

DDL wrote: In all honesty, other than Mordin and Legion, the only people I really cared about...
No I didn't! :P

And yes, he was awesome.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

See this is why text is a bad medium.

:bioware:

I wonder if it's actually possible to reach 100% WAR without multiplayer. It's apparently needed for the good endings.

I played this game way too much today. Had two exams yesterday, and the next one isn't until monday, so I've basically spent the entire day playing.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Your face is a bad medium! :evil:
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

@Jaedar

I wonder that as well. I think it's possible...I've just about filled up the bar to the brimming point, I have 6k power.
I figure the idea is for people who don't want to strain to get all the power they can to have another option. Honestly, that's not a horrible idea.

@DDL

I really liked Jack. She wasn't too happy when I let her know I prefered my strange alien, but all in all, it was good shit. A lot of sci-fi deals with perfect children who are born and bred for a single purpose. Enders Game and Dune come to mind. I think Jack is an amazing take on that:
If you try to make a human child the perfect soldier, don't be surprised when she becomes the perfect villain. Also, whatever else she was portrayed as, she was cool: She didn't wear anything but tattoos into combat because she was a goddamn boss of biotics and that's all that mattered. In this way, Miranda was Jacks opposite number: One had occured naturally and was then whipped and given resistance to improve, the other was artificially constructed and groomed instead. Both psycho villainesses pretty much, but you're glad to have them on your team.

Same thing with Grunt; he was the embodiment of what it means to be the worlds toughest lizard, and showcased that well. He's pretty much this games Marcus Phoenix. While I might not have felt as strongly about the new NPC's as I did the original ones, I can appreciate them for how they contextualize and renew well known sci fi tropes. Of course, everybody LOVES Mordin and Legion, but you can kindof see the idea with these 3, and I think they contribute a lot of good stuff to the series as a result of them being involved, even if you don't like them for their personalities. Generally, the third game not only shows you the characters who suriveved in the suicide mission and say "this is what happened to them", they also say things that make a lot of sense, and which add depth to characters that were (usually) already 3 dimensional. That's really what makes it more than just a nostalgia trip, though the fanservice is piled on quite frequently.
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

Jaedar wrote:See this is why text is a bad medium.

:bioware:

I wonder if it's actually possible to reach 100% WAR without multiplayer. It's apparently needed for the good endings.

I played this game way too much today. Had two exams yesterday, and the next one isn't until monday, so I've basically spent the entire day playing.
Is it possible to increase readiness at all in SP? I thought SP's for war assets, MP's for readiness.
Also James and Cortez are the best new characters so far in ME3. I would've thought both are gay, but I guess James is just a really, really good bro. :V They're both very well characterized, and interesting people. Better than the returning cast from ME2, certainly.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

I've played it for an hour today, and so far there have only been fights.

And the savegame importer didn't like my face, apparently:
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

Yeah, James is just a really good bro, as far as I can figure. Looks the part too; giant meat man that he is.

It looks like Bioware also finally figured out that giving the non-combat crewmembers bigger roles adds a lot of depth to the game. They've even gone so far as to have much of your crew cycle through "I don't have anything new to say right now" frop responses, to make sure it doesn't feel stale or mechanical.

They've done a lot of work to hide the machinations of the game.

The main thing I think is missing is other crewmembers moving about once in a while. You wouldn't be able to find them both at their post and whereever else without having some way of calling them back to the post to talk, but why not do that? As it is, when they _have_ moved to another location, the only way of knowing is by running around looking for them. If they had them moving about a little more freely once in a while, and you happened to talk in a common area, they could've had other characters walking in on your conversations sometimes. It would make the ship feel even more alive, and it's a concept I loved about Dragon Age's campfire conversations.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Your face is a bad medium!
Thread of the year all years.

they should've change the writing to "Your character doesn't fit in with Biowares new Jersey Shore aesthetic, please apply 5 layers of artificial tan"
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

Well, bioware has actually included atires for all playable characters that put them in power armor or similar types of protection when on missions.

You gotta deal with Ash and James being sexed up, tho. Atleast noone is wearing a leotard and pretending it's normal in this one.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

EER wrote:I've played it for an hour today, and so far there have only been fights.

Are you playing on the XBox or PC? There's a fix I believe for the PC, and Origin has a patch that you can grab by right clicking on ME 3 in "my games".

http://www.rarityguide.com/articles/art ... Page1.html
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

I'm playing on xbox, and I think only some details went missing like the hair color and the crooked nose. She still looks vaguely like my original shepard. It's fine, but I was just mildly annoyed that they apparently don't remember how they programmed ME2 :?
I didn't recognize Ashley at all though, but then I haven't seen her in about a year or so.
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

It looks like you can't get enough war assets without playing either multiplayer or the iphone game to get the "best" endings. Which is uh...I'm not actually sure.

Part of me is giddy that software pirates can't get the best ending, and I kindof like the attempt to integrate more into the experience than just the standard game...I like where it's going, and I think it's original...

But it's probably a bad decision.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Tali's face

http://i.imgur.com/nxzNB.jpg

Makes sense to me.

in all fairness, the actual face that's been going around the internet is a massive load of cop out shit. Tali was a major part of the fanservice crap Bioware has been touting on about, now we get to see her face and its just a trace of a royalty-free image off Deviant Art... I should've expected this given NWN. Could've been worse, they could've pulled a Civ5 and just Live Trace stolen images from GoogleImage search.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

Is anyone else playing on xbox here? I clicked the multiplayer button but it looked like it was deathmatch or something, I should give it a try :)