First Dishonored video footage

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

bobby 55
Illuminati

Re: First Dishonored video footage

Post by bobby 55 »

A crossbow in one hand and letting rip with fireballs with the other....sold! :P
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I really love What Do You Do With A Drunken Sailor. Excellent choice for trailer music.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

It was that out of place it added to the atmosphere, weirdly, I thought . It wasn't sung as a ditty more a sorta dirge.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

Hrm.

Unfortunately, even though the setting looks great, the combat does look like bioshock.

It also has a lot of oversaturated colours. It looks absolutely amazing...like you fell into a 1920'es painting by Ed Hopper...but unfortunately, I really dislike this type of look for action gameplay. I found in bioshock that I couldn't actually tell what the enemies were doing very well, because I had to rely on snap decisions and reflexes to get them. The aesthetic was ultimately too confusing when things sped up.

If Dishonored has a hitman-esque path through the game though, that would be amazing. Hitman got away with having way more packed aesthetics without giving me the same issue, for instance during the wedding and the carnival.

Hitman-style gameplay doesn't trailer very well, so it might be a strong component, and if so, I probably can't avoid getting this. Because the setting looks ace - it looks absolutely brilliant. You're V for Vendetta, an anonymous masked killer, and instead of bombs, you just assasinate the shit out of a brutal opressing governments figureheads.

That's a recipe for excitement if I ever saw one.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I agree there was some BioShock to it, but I thought it looked a lot closer to Dark Messiah. Which would be... obvious.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

ARGH I cant stand children singing in unison! And I haven't got a clue why either.
Shame the trailer was all Action. Where's interacting with the environment, inventory management and all that other Immersive sim goodness?
Looks like this is gonna be more Dark Messiah than Arx Fatalis. I thought Dark Messiah mostly sucked, well not sucked but it is nothing special.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Cybernetic pig wrote: Shame the trailer was all Action. Where's interacting with the environment, inventory management and all that other Immersive sim goodness?
Hopefully someone will tape the proper e3 presentation that contains some proper gameplay and stuff.
Cybernetic pig wrote: I thought Dark Messiah mostly sucked
:evil:
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Cybernetic pig wrote:Where's interacting with the environment, inventory management and all that other Immersive sim goodness?
I don't think you understand how trailers work.

When you have a couple of minutes to sell people on your game... you don't want to show them somebody faffing about with the inventory.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

The thing is that you totally could show the interface gui for a few seconds. Or the skill tree, or whatever. It doesn't have to be non-stop action all the time. Sneaking is kind of hard though. As is clever solutions to problems and such.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I dunno, if you look at what they did include, it's pretty clear they wanted to have a dramatic and experience-based trailer, they tried to pull you into their world and make you feel like you got a glimpse of existence within their narrative. Popping the inventory up for a while there would kind of undermine the mood. Spooky dramatic music and stabbing people in the throat? Awesome. Spooky dramatic music and inventory tetris? Uhm... eh :P

Hopefully they'll release some more long-form gameplay footage soon.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Jonas wrote: When you have a couple of minutes to sell people on your game... you don't want to show them somebody faffing about with the inventory.
Borderlands 2 trailer showed the skill menu etc....Not that i am particularly interested in it. Borderlands 1 was weak, but it's appeal came from playing co-op. I'll probably pick it up cheap, B1 was still fun.

But yeah blood & explosionz will attract the masses best, but it still leaves me with small doubts about the game.
Jaedar wrote: :evil:
Yeah I went too far there sorry. It was a good game but it was no Arx Fatalis.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Jonas wrote: Only idiots are stupid enough to think that button -> awesome is meant to be a "gameplay mechanic".

It's a design paradigm. And a completely valid one that's been the cornerstone of enormous successes, too.

God of War, anyone?
God of war has a jump mechanic, that doesn't fit in with Bioware's design paradigms, it's not "awesome" enough apparently. :twisted:

It also has decent level design, no constant invisible walls, fairly challenging puzzles and combat and it is mostly linear. Yes I prefer linearity to Bioware's terrible level design and forced & predictable pick option a or pick option b approach to choices.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I was going to write a proper reply to you, but then your snark and your sarcasm pissed me off, and I decided it's not worth my time.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Jonas wrote:I was going to write a proper reply to you, but then your snark and your sarcasm pissed me off, and I decided it's not worth my time.
Why would YOU get offended? I was dissing the game not you. Cant we agree to disagree?
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I wasn't offended, I was pissed.

We can agree to disagree if you agree to present your opinion in a less provocating manner.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine