Computer upgrade help

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: Computer upgrade help

Post by Jonas »

The SSD is just for the operating system and essential software, of course I have a much larger regular harddisk for non-essential stuff :mrgreen:
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Cool, at least Windows must load really quickly. When I'm financially better off than now I might get an SSD (120 gig) and a HDD (1 Terabyte).

The way Windows keeps updating we'll need 50 gigs just for it. <_<
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Back when Windows loaded at all, it loaded in about 20 seconds. Those were the days.

Soon, this is how it shall be once more.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

It should actually load up ridiculously quickly.
I still think the biggest boon will be that it'll run much cooler than your current rig.

I mean, the CPU performance will be about 4 times what you have right now, and much more consistent - but it'll also be about 50 watts less or so most of the time.

I do think the market has evolved considerably though. This part, these ram, this motherboard...it's a considerably stronger option than a top tier I5 setup woulda been a year ago, and it's considerably cheaper.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Jonas wrote:Back when Windows loaded at all, it loaded in about 20 seconds. Those were the days.

Soon, this is how it shall be once more.
Windows 8 achieves pretty amazing boot times on a standard hard drive - I think I was getting 20 second boot times quite easily compared to about a minute with Windows 7. Motherboard manufacturers finally adopting UEFI instead of the old BIOS systems should help too.

On the subject of computers..does anyone know what is considered a reasonably safe operating temperature for a processor? Mine's getting, well, pretty fucking hot under duress.
I mean..I've got a Corsair H50 on it and it's reaching these sorts of temperatures. It's ridiculous.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

It depends on your processor Dave. Intel states to keep my i7-920 below 70c. My other 'puter's processor was 100c before it shut itself down.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

bobby 55 wrote:It depends on your processor Dave. Intel states to keep my i7-920 below 70c. My other 'puter's processor was 100c before it shut itself down.
Ah - yes I forgot to say, mine's a 920 at stock speed. In which case I'm just about fine :)

I'll have a look at my fan setup, at one point I had a push/pull config around the heatsink of the H50. When I next have my computer apart I'll have a look at reconnecting it.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

With the water cooling, do you have to empty out the tank and refill it every 6 months or so? I don't think I'll ever get that form of cooling coz I'm a klutz, and water 'n' electricity.... :P
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

bobby 55 wrote:With the water cooling, do you have to empty out the tank and refill it every 6 months or so? I don't think I'll ever get that form of cooling coz I'm a klutz, and water 'n' electricity.... :P
It's a sealed up unit so I don't think you can, no - or at least I don't know how and haven't done it. I wouldn't have bought it if I had to do that, I only bought it because it seemed efficient and was only marginally more than air coolers.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Cheers Dave, it must have been another water cooling system I read that about. There's a few online stores here that do customizable pre-built gaming rigs, and a couple of them have the H50.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

I think "proper" water cooling systems do require a bit of maintenance - I'd never do that though because I just want my computer to work for me. Having to maintain the cooling system seems to run contrary to that.

There are quite a few water-based CPU coolers now though - Intel do their own which looks awesome but I'm sceptical about trusting them. Their standard ones that come with the processors are fucking awful - I've found they never cool the processor even a little bit running at stock speeds - let alone if you're trying to overclock it.

Mind you there's newer Corsair ones than the H50, I think there's the H70 now although it's a bit more expensive.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Heh, there was one gaming PC that they were selling that had a "radiator" heat-sink thing that had seven pipes coming out of it. How the fuck they fit those in is amazing.
Morpheus
X-51

Post by Morpheus »

DaveW wrote:
bobby 55 wrote:It depends on your processor Dave. Intel states to keep my i7-920 below 70c. My other 'puter's processor was 100c before it shut itself down.
Ah - yes I forgot to say, mine's a 920 at stock speed. In which case I'm just about fine :)

I'll have a look at my fan setup, at one point I had a push/pull config around the heatsink of the H50. When I next have my computer apart I'll have a look at reconnecting it.
My CPU was at 37-40C usual but I turned on turbo on fan speed (don't know if that did anything) on bios (standard intel fan) and now getting 15-27C on the 4 cores when video editing large 1080p HD videos for some reason, I assumed the 600rpm, turbo, fan speed is keeping temps down? Not that I mind the low temps.
My nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
My whistle/flute videos (and some other videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/DXMorpheus
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

I'd love temperatures like that, that would mean I could overclock it and get slightly better render times. Right now it's taking about 20 minutes per frame for a 10 second animation I'm doing. At 25 frames a second that's around 4 days of solid rendering. Assuming I don't look at it and want to change something and have to do it all again.

What motherboard do you have, out of curiosity? I don't think mine (Asus P6TSE) has anything like that.
Morpheus
X-51

Post by Morpheus »

DaveW wrote:I'd love temperatures like that, that would mean I could overclock it and get slightly better render times. Right now it's taking about 20 minutes per frame for a 10 second animation I'm doing. At 25 frames a second that's around 4 days of solid rendering. Assuming I don't look at it and want to change something and have to do it all again.

What motherboard do you have, out of curiosity? I don't think mine (Asus P6TSE) has anything like that.
My motherboard is this: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_ ... 55/P8H77V/ I don't know much about motherboards today, but I think the price it was (£75) was good for what I got.

I figured it must have been the heat in this room that was causing the heat in my CPU possibly. It had been quite hot here up until the weekend (Indoors it was 25C+ in this room when it was sunny and warm outside) then temperature dropped to 11C on Sunday and my CPU was reading lower temps (Low as 9C on one core at times!) but I am moving house at the weekend so I'll have a cooler room to put my computer in and it should keep the temps down.
My nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
My whistle/flute videos (and some other videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/DXMorpheus