Computer upgrade help

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Re: Computer upgrade help

Post by DaveW »

I think my computer's been getting quite hot in general, so I've ordered new thermal compound and I'm going to re-apply my H50 to see if that makes a difference.

I'm curious whether it's the heat in my room that's screwing it up, too.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

I posted somewhere recently that now our weather is cooler my card and CPU have both dropped their idling temps by nearly nearly 10c. I hope to have a better card by the end of July, then this will be a pretty decent rig. An SSD I'll dream about a while longer.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Blues22475
Thug

Post by Blues22475 »

DaveW wrote:I think my computer's been getting quite hot in general, so I've ordered new thermal compound and I'm going to re-apply my H50 to see if that makes a difference.

I'm curious whether it's the heat in my room that's screwing it up, too.
That's a very good possibility. During the summer time months my room gets pretty hot (beside it's air flow kind of sucks even with ac going to it). I installed Cooler Master 212 Plus on the system which lowed temps about 10 or so C as opposed to the stock CPU air cooler. Recently I bought new cpu which runs generally cooler just before the summer months appeared. It ran ridiculously cool during the winter months when my room was cold with the same cpu cooler. Now that's actually hot in my room the cpu runs a bit hotter (idles about 20c or so whereas in the winter months it idled about 14-16C).
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

Good news! The shop where I bought my faulty motherboard has determined it was, indeed, faulty (which is not as likely as it sounds) and have sent a replacement. Should be delivered tomorrow :D
The bad news is that I'm in a bloody busy semester right now so I won't have much time to get it running...
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

gamer0004 wrote:Good news! The shop where I bought my faulty motherboard has determined it was, indeed, faulty (which is not as likely as it sounds) and have sent a replacement. Should be delivered tomorrow :D
The bad news is that I'm in a bloody busy semester right now so I won't have much time to get it running...
Ahh, some good (computer) news at last. Three mobos were down, yours, Hassat's, and DDL's. Shadowblade has a new HDD, and Jonas' upgrades are en-route. DDL's mobo is the last of the Mohicans then.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
shadowblade34
MJ12

Post by shadowblade34 »

More good news! I've begun redownloading all my games - the most important thing to do of course. And since I have nothing but exams for school, it seems that I don't need to waste any space with work files. More space for games!
What the heck are you looking at my signature for?Read my blog
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Had a go at re-applying thermal compound to my CPU - turned out the last lot I applied went a little bit funny (probably the way I applied it tbh). But in the process of cleaning it off and putting the CPU back in, I bent some of the pins on the motherboard somehow.

Luckily after some work with a needle I pushed them back and it seems to be working, so hooray - just have to overclock it a bit now and keep an eye on temperatures. Also got a SSD so my computer should run a bit quicker now.