Diablo 3

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

AEmer
Illuminati

Re: Diablo 3

Post by AEmer »

I think most fiction could be written by kids....Not in terms of execution of course, that's not going to be particularly good, but in terms of overarching storyline, things generally aren't that complicated.

And that's ok. Starcraft isn't meant to be some larger than life story. It's meant to be part satiric commentary on societal ideologies, and part military sci-fi. It's just like Max Payne isn't meant to be a particularly good detective story. In fact I think it's pretty clear it's meant to be a _bad_ one.

The execution needs to be up to par, of course, and I love it when games offer a little bit more...but in general terms, you were never gonna see more than that come out of starcraft.

As for Blizzard...it's Activision-Blizzard now. I never thought Blizzard was a particularly good company - I thought they made some unique and interesting games of course, but I've never worshipped at the altar of Blizzard as so many PC gamers have. Would you believe that I used to know people who claimed to be blizzard gamers rather than PC gamers because they exclusively played blizzard titles?

At any rate, maybe they do make games using a different process now...but who cares. You should never have attributed a game company such as that with significant brand value anyway, particularly when you know it underwent massive corporate restructuring. I mean we all do it, because we expect companies with good brands to try to keep those brands good, but with corporate authors that are as malleable as Blizzard or Bioware (or even Ion Storm Austin), that's kindof immature of us.

Also, I don't think Diablo 3 is particularly worse than diablo 2, just to make that clear. I actually think the two are pretty similar, with diablo3 being a massive technical upgrade with significantly improved gameplay, too...and the fact that I find the atmosphere weaker is not too big of a downside. The two games are pretty even, in my mind.
ZeroPresence
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Re: Diablo 3

Post by ZeroPresence »

The accuracy... it hurts.

Also there's some funnies thrown in there, I like funnies.