Guest speaker game design lectures with Warren Spector

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

kdawg88
MJ12

Guest speaker game design lectures with Warren Spector

Post by kdawg88 »

I thought I'd let you guys know about these great videos. Some of you may have seen the 'Deus Ex post-mortem' video on the Youtube. This is the set of lectures/interviews by Warren Spector that it was taken from. They all offer a really interesting insight into the games industry and what it's like being a designer. There's a lot about Deus Ex in the Harvey Smith one.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... ature=plcp
Last edited by kdawg88 on Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Re: Warren Spector, guest speaker lectures

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Harvey Smith is a cool guy, yeah he fucked up with Invisible war but people forget he played an important role in the development of DX1. Let's hope he can redeem his rep with Dishonored.

Cheers for posting, that is funny that the code to Looking Glass's office was 0451. Was a very interesting video....until they started promoting Area51: Blacksite.

How can they go from producing a mediocre game like Cybermage to then producing the magnificent DX? :-s
kdawg88
MJ12

Re: Warren Spector, guest speaker lectures

Post by kdawg88 »

For the same reason that they went from the 'magnificent DX1' to IW I suppose. Even the greatest of artists can produce the worst of works.
Hashi
Silhouette

Re: Guest speaker game design lectures with Warren Spector

Post by Hashi »

Deus Ex Invisible War was awesome, just not as awesome as the original. The artists did good work in both games
kdawg88
MJ12

Re: Guest speaker game design lectures with Warren Spector

Post by kdawg88 »

Yeah, don't get me wrong, IW is a great game. I've played it twice and will probably play it again sometime. I was only making a general statement. DX1 and IW are definitely not opposite extrema.