CD Projekt is making a new "triple-A RPG"

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: CD Projekt is making a new "triple-A RPG"

Post by Jonas »

AEmer wrote:The threat of painting yourself into a corner. It's one of the only ways to truly scare a player; to invalidate all that he has done so far. I know that plenty of gamers abuse the quick save to avoid it, ensuring optimum conservation of resources; and to be perfectly honest, I did something similar a couple of years ago when I replayed several crucial battles in King Arthur multiple times to ensure that I didn't commit to a phyrric victory.

It is also without a doubt the single most appealing part of survival horror games; it's crucial to the gameplay of those games that you can fuck yourself over.
And yet it's pretty much consensus that the scariest game that currently exists is Amnesia: The Dark Descent which never invalidates much of what you've done and where it's pretty much impossible to fuck yourself over. Admittedly they make it seem like you can fuck yourself over, what with those woefully limited light-creating resources, but it's damn near impossible to die, and when you do, you never have to replay that much of the game.
I think you're wrong about the rebreather vs. aqualung, and here's why: In 2 of my 4 deus ex playthroughs, I've gotten the swimming skill. Not even a lie. The rebreathers though, I've rarely gotten, because they take up too much damn space.
You know why that's a terribly silly thing to do, right?

Pretty much every area in the game that has water, there's a rebreather nearby. It doesn't matter how much damn space they take up: when you reach water all you have to do is find the inevitable rebreather somewhere, drop something else to make space for it, pick up the rebreather, go back to the water and use the rebreather, do what you have to do, then go back and pick up your other item again. Or just leave that item and find a new one later, you'll almost always have one object that you can spare ;-)
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

Agreed. Aqualung, swimming skill and rebreathers are simply not the same thing. The player still has to make a choice: I have never used either the aqualung aug, the skill or rebreathers. They all have their own cost: aug slot and upgrade canisters, skill points and inventory space. Instead of being able to swim short distances I can, for example, make myself invisible, shoot baddies more accurately in the face and use carry an extra weapon (pepper spray). I prefer those to any swimming related skills/augs/items.
I like that about DX: there are so many different ways to achieve something, not just in missions but also in character building. It adds very useful and fun complexity: am I going to install this aug or the other? I can compensate for the lack of one aug by using skills and/or items. On the other hand I can combine a certain skill, aug and item to become extremely capable in one thing (for instance being able to stay invisible for a very long time, being able to take many hits, swim for a very long time &c.). The amount of options available explodes by having several systems.
The downside of this could be the other side of the complexity coin, that is: it might become too complicated & inaccessible. I never had that problem in DX though (mostly due to the pretty good tutorial), and I'm not very good at finding those things out for myself, nor do I have the patience to read or watch online tutorials.
E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy had many different systems too and I still don't understand it even though I've done several missions in coop with a friend who has finished the game. He doesn't understand it either. That's not the right way to do it, but I still like the many different available options in missions.

Re: health regen: you're not easy to please, Jonas, you're not principally against a system which simply works in some cases. Health systems with fixed HP are great in many situations, like (FPS)RPGs and certain shooters (STALKER, FEAR). In games where the principal goal is an exciting rollercoaster ride (CoD) or a more casual experience, health regen is preferable to medkits.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

gamer0004 wrote:you're not easy to please, Jonas, you're not principally against a system which simply works in some cases
...what?
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

You said you liked health regen AND health bars, saying you were apparently easy to please. But that's not the reason why. In some games one system works whereas in other games the other system works.
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

@Jonas, re amnesia
That might be the case.. So lets assume for sake of argument that everything you say is right. That doesn't invalidate what I said, does it? That's not a rhetorical question, btw.

Consider it with me for a moment..., so what if Amnesia manages it's smoke and mirrors well enough to scare the shit out of its players without having player managed resources at all...that only proves that it's possible to do a really scary game without this gameplay element.

That element is still absolutely essential to many games in the resident evil series. It's still key to the gameplay of System Shock 2. It still makes up the backbone of the gameplay experience of games in the survival horror genre. Or rather most games in this genre if Amnesia and similar resource-light but scary games can be said to belong to that genre too.

And unlike the mechanics Amnesia chiefly use, the scary aspect is foremost grounded in player decisions rather than in the environmental presentation. Fundamentally, it's a good, relatively well-behaved mechanic that rewards many immersive behaviours, a mechanic that imbues players with a sense of responsibility and gives weight to player decisions, and it's still heavily utilized in certain genres. Perhaps more importantly, it's different from what amnesia does, it provides a different experience, an experience that you can't really recreate using other means.

So ultimately, even if you're right that Amnesia does scary stuff without allowing you to paint yourself into a corner, that doesn't imply that you should necessarily design all survival horror games in that fashion, or that the resource-management heavy systems of certain older games are inferior from a gameplay perspective. It seems like a worthwhile addendum to what I said, though.

re: Swimming
But I might not want to backtrack. Or I might not be able to find said rebreathers (where are the rebreathers on liberty island? was there one in the catacombs?, just asking). Or I just might not care that much about that augmentation slot or those skill points. That's probably why I played as I did. And you know, I completed the game just fine, so clearly it was just as valid as an approach that relied exclusively on rebreathers for those things.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

I agree having three systems for swimming is a bit much, however I always take aqualung, and have focused on upgrading swimming skill once. It was interesting finding all the underwater secrets. However the rewards were not worth spending skill points on, but I always though the solution was to make swimming skill very cheap or the great "Athletics" solution in shifter etc.

Oh btw I took Aqualung as usual in TNM but never had to use it as all bodies of water were shallow or if there was an underwater tunnel it was in default breath capacity range. This was from taking the PDX quest route.

@DaveW I disagree that streamlining Skills and augs into one system doesn't make a difference.
It gives you more choice, whether it is an Illusion or not. But where there is re-occuring options (Aqualung & Swimming Skill, Athletics & Speed enhancement, Heath Regen & Medicine, Cloak & Radar Transparancy vs Environmental Training w/optic camo) That is no illusion. Further more there is the systems of how you recieve these uprgades. Augs & Aug upgrades + Skill points through objectives, secondary objectives and secret areas. These multiple systems is why DX has always had the most exciting exploration for me (well finding weapon mods is my favourite since I am a combat guy).

Seems like you guys (Not Aemer) have got too comfortable with the easy ride that modern games FORCE you to experience. I know you (Jonas) said Easy mode was the easy counter to the argument about regen and this is true, but I seriously doubt anyone has played a game on easy mode and not been able to continue. Myself I usually start most games on hard. Dark Souls is the modern redeemer!

Here are the 3 great common saving systems which I have brought up to counter the regen argument (the second of which counters best).
Old school PC: if you save the game with 5% health you were a dumbass and you payed for it and had to load previous save or even start again if you really fucked up.

Modern:Some modern games have an auto save system at a loading screen which saves in a seperate slot from manual saves- this is the best solution that meets hardcore and casual gamers halfway (If there is medkits).

Old school console "save points": A personal favourite, saving anywhere is cheap! Save points were a forced challenge that I loved, but there will never be a new game again that has these :(. EDIT: Dark Souls!
Actually this one counters regen argument best since more often than not it restored health when you used one.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

AEmer wrote: @ DaveW

I think you're wrong about the rebreather vs. aqualung, and here's why: In 2 of my 4 deus ex playthroughs, I've gotten the swimming skill. Not even a lie. The rebreathers though, I've rarely gotten, because they take up too much damn space.
I've also run with the environmental resistance a couple of times. It's brilliant in conjunction with gas grenades.

That's besides the point though: Having overlapping systems where one seems supperior is absolutely fine. Systems don't have to be even. Some players don't care about skill points, but care a lot about inventory space and augmentations. Some don't care about augmentations, but about skillpoints and inventory space. And some don't care about inventory space, but want the other two to be perfect.

Each approach has advantages and disadvantages. Each way of swimming for longer without air has it's own strengths and shortcommings, and each one is paid for by a unique currency.

Alright, you don't think the systems are balanced, because you think one is clearly supperior in every regard. Well why not balance it then, why argue that it should be cut down? Make the rebreather a scuba kit taking up 4 or 6 spaces inventory spaces if it's that onesided. By having the various overlapping systems, you create not only a more detailed and interactive game world, you make the encounters more unique and dynamic.

My point is this: Even if you somehow think cutting down on the ways to become a better swimmer would make the various relevant situations in Deus Ex _more_ dynamic, surely simply _balancing_ those ways to become a better swimmer would be even better still.

This again underlines the problem, and the only real solution: Having a prolific number of situations that have dynamic issues and difficulty is ultimately best solved by working towards that specific goal, not by choosing any one gameplay technique over another.

I gather you disagree that the rebreather, swimming skill and aqualung are pointless versions of the same core function - but, they are. The rebreather is better than aqualung which is better than the swimming skill. If you could only choose the skill, then there would be a choice there - you could upgrade your weapons or swim places. But the fact you can circumvent that choice very easily by just carrying a rebreather or the aqualung aug negates that choice.

Now, if the systems were balanced, for example if the rebreather took up a load of space (somehow), that would be better. But that would add needless complexity which makes you focus more on the system more than the choices. If you like that kind of game, fine, but that clearly wasn't concept behind Deus Ex.

Having multiple systems doing the same thing doesn't increase the amount of 'dynamic situations', it just means more time spent in menus and fussing with character management than playing the game. That was my point, not anything about 'dynamic situations'.

Cybernetic pig wrote:@DaveW I disagree that streamlining Skills and augs into one system doesn't make a difference.
It gives you more choice, whether it is an Illusion or not. But where there is re-occuring options (Aqualung & Swimming Skill, Athletics & Speed enhancement, Heath Regen & Medicine, Cloak & Radar Transparancy vs Environmental Training w/optic camo) That is no illusion. Further more there is the systems of how you recieve these uprgades. Augs & Aug upgrades + Skill points through objectives, secondary objectives and secret areas. These multiple systems is why DX has always had the most exciting exploration for me (well finding weapon mods is my favourite since I am a combat guy).

Seems like you guys (Not Aemer) have got too comfortable with the easy ride that modern games FORCE you to experience. I know you (Jonas) said Easy mode was the easy counter to the argument about regen and this is true, but I seriously doubt anyone has played a game on easy mode and not been able to continue. Myself I usually start most games on hard. Dark Souls is the modern redeemer!

Having three buttons in an interface that do exactly the same thing is 'more choice' - that doesn't mean it's good interface design. Similarly having three systems that do the same thing isn't good game design.

You missed my point, though. Why should I upgrade my swimming skill when I can just carry a rebreather, which is very clearly the better option? It completely negates the fundamental choice to make about the character - do I want to explore underwater? Even if you never choose to upgrade your swimming skill or aqualung, you can find exactly the same underwater locations in Deus Ex as someone with a rebreather item - meaning you've just sacrificed an alternative aug and another (more useful) skill upgrade for nothing.

Also you can drop that fucking attitude you have. I appreciate good game design and recognise when a system is bloated - you haven't given a single reason why Human Revolution's system of Augs gives less real choice (not the illusion of it) than Deus Ex.

Cybernetic pig wrote: Here are the 3 great common saving systems which I have brought up to counter the regen argument (the second of which counters best).
Old school PC: if you save the game with 5% health you were a dumbass and you payed for it and had to load previous save or even start again if you really fucked up.
Unfortunately "Well, the player's a dumbass" isn't a get-out clause for poor design. A game, fundamentally, is meant to be an enjoyable experience - replaying the same section again because you quicksaved by accident is counter to that.
Cybernetic pig wrote: Modern:Some modern games have an auto save system at a loading screen which saves in a seperate slot from manual saves- this is the best solution that meets hardcore and casual gamers halfway (If there is medkits).
'Modern'? Games had this back in 1995. Doesn't fix the problem of going back and replaying large sections of the game again.
Cybernetic pig wrote: Old school console "save points": A personal favourite, saving anywhere is cheap! Save points were a forced challenge that I loved, but there will never be a new game again that has these :(. EDIT: Dark Souls!
Actually this one counters regen argument best since more often than not it restored health when you used one.
Same problem as above - noticing a pattern?
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

DaveW wrote: @ DaveW

I gather you disagree that the rebreather, swimming skill and aqualung are pointless versions of the same core function - but, they are. The rebreather is better than aqualung which is better than the swimming skill. If you could only choose the skill, then there would be a choice there - you could upgrade your weapons or swim places. But the fact you can circumvent that choice very easily by just carrying a rebreather or the aqualung aug negates that choice.
But there is only about 3 rebreathers in the whole game.
However the part I have underlined is a good point, but If you want to explore every body of water You need fully upgraded Aqua and or swim skill. Also rebreather doesnt give you faster swimming speed that the skill does.

Also what if you wanted to focus on weapon skills AND environ resistance aug, then you could have neither swim skill nor aqualung. Now I know you will say use rebreathers but there is only 3 (maybe 4?) and they only appear late in the game so if you wanted to all explore water bodies you have to take either swim skill and/or aqualung.

The fix shifter does (athletics) and your idea of rebreather taking more inventory space is the solution to this. As Aemer said Balance them instead of needlessly streamlining them.

DaveW wrote: Also you can drop that fucking attitude you have. I appreciate good game design and recognise when a system is bloated - you haven't given a single reason why Human Revolution's system of Augs gives less real choice (not the illusion of it) than Deus Ex.
Care to explain why you too are now getting pissed? I am trying to be respectful, I dont see where I went wrong?

Here is the reason why DX skills & Augs are better than Human Revolutions augs.

"But where there is re-occuring options (Aqualung & Swimming Skill, Athletics & Speed enhancement, Heath Regen & Medicine, Cloak & Radar Transparancy vs Environmental Training w/optic camo) That is no illusion of choice. Further more there is the systems of how you recieve these uprgades. Augs & Aug upgrades + Skill points through objectives, secondary objectives and secret areas. These multiple systems is why DX has always had the most exciting exploration for me."

Not only is there more choice with the different upgrades giving the same effect, allowing different combinations depending whether you want to spend Aug upgrades or skill points, further more they can be combined for greater effect (aqualung combined with swim skill, Speed enhancement & Athletics, environ resistance combined with environ training skill). Combining these abilities are especially useful early when you have no one skill or aug maxed out.

Anyway the choice with the re-occuring upgrades is a web of choices instead of 1 or the other. I think that is good design. Choices dont always have to be one or the other.
DaveW wrote: 'Modern'? Games had this back in 1995. Doesn't fix the problem of going back and replaying large sections of the game again.
Same problem as above - noticing a pattern?
But losing progress is the point, punishment for dying. Although this is really annoying in a game like DX where there is alot of interaction so if you lose progress you have to pick everything up again. But in all other games I want to lose a fair amount of progress if I die.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

I'm not even going to bother. It's like talking to a brick wall, except the brick wall is quoting me and not actually reading it.

Also, as Jonas says, there's a re-breather for basically every large body of water you would want to explore (which isn't many) - not that it would invalidate my argument even if the rebreather didn't exist, given that you still have the duplication of the Aqualung aug and swimming skill, and there's regenerating health and medkits which, in effect, will do the same thing etc.
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

Sorry about the bluntness of the following post, but I thought I had to express my take as clearly as possible to resolve our difference of oppinion. If you think I'm wrong, be sure to point out where and how.
The rebreather is better than aqualung which is better than the swimming skill.
I've already argued why that's not necessarily the case, but I'll try again since you don't seem to address that part. Rebreathers require additional exploration and inventory room, and sometimes backtracking. For a veteran who knows exactly where all the rebreathers are and know how to houseclean their inventory, maybe you're right, but you're never designing the game for the veterans. Furthermore, you generally don't know whether or not rebreathers/backtracking is even viable when you make the investment, not to mention, you don't really know it as you're exploring.

From the perspective of a new player, as a result, you're wrong. One option is not strictly better than eachother.
But the fact you can circumvent that choice very easily by just carrying a rebreather or the aqualung aug negates that choice.
Just argued that the premise for this is false, so if I'm right about that, this is by extension also false. And again, you could rebalance it.
Now, if the systems were balanced, for example if the rebreather took up a load of space (somehow), that would be better. But that would add needless complexity which makes you focus more on the system more than the choices.
Excuse me, but what are you on about? In Deus Ex, you can sometimes either multitool, lockpick, break in with melee, break in with sniper, break in with minicrossbow, break in with explosives from your inventory, break in with explosives from the environment, hack, or discover a password, to gain entrance into something.

What choices are available to you depend on your build and the situation, but you nearly always have multiple options with multiple costs. You choose which resources to exhaust, or maybe you even leave it alone because you don't think it'll be worth it.

This is exactly the same thing. You have many resources that allow you to traverse a specific part of the level. Some require skill investment, other require augmentation investment, some require inventory items, some require exploration. If you want to cut the manners by which you can traverse a specific part of the level underwater because it adds needless complexity (what does that even mean? When is complexity meaningless and why is this complexity meaningless?), why would you not also want to cut the manners by which you can traverse any given doorway?

I mean, look, swimming isn't an interesting skill, taking it has no side effects other than letting you traverse specific parts of a level, so at present it's a fairly _boring_ skill, and it might well be unbalanced in that the choice between taking it or not might be too simple. But dude, no, it's not broken in the fashion you depict it, and it's not anywhere near as fundamentally superflous as you seem to suggest. You're wrong about that.
If you like that kind of game, fine, but that clearly wasn't concept behind Deus Ex.
Oh yes, yes it was. The concept was, the player needs to have many ways to do the same things in any given situation, and those ways will be available to him based on how he build his character and what items he picked up and where he explored, and they will have distinct costs associated with their use that are different from option to option.

There's an absolute truckload of overlapping systems letting you do the same basic things, but they each have different side effects and costs.

Also, just to make it clear, I wouldn't call it the concept behind the game, those are the words you used to make your point. I used the words in the context you used them to illustrate as firmly as I could that you're wrong about the point you were making. I would describe this behaviour not as the concept behind the game (which would clearly be something more abstract), but rather as a fundamental tool used to make the game what it is.
Having multiple systems doing the same thing doesn't increase the amount of 'dynamic situations', it just means more time spent in menus and fussing with character management than playing the game. That was my point, not anything about 'dynamic situations'.
Also wrong. Having multiple systems with multiple costs of entry and cost of use means that the player has to think about how to best apply his resources to solve any given problem. The LAW is the perfect illustration: A one-use gun that can take down a single target, but afterwards the gun is spent. If you generally don't use guns at all, and don't want to use skill points or room for heavy weapons, then it's a perfectly viable alternative. In this case, you solve the problem posed by one particular enemy by using your inventory space, rather than sneaking, hacking, or a general choice of heavy weapons or explosives.

And that's just it: The overlapping systems are really overlapping solutions, and what they present as to the player is dynamic situations. The fact that you have multiple ways of taking down heavy targets doesn't make the player fuss with character management, it makes the player feel empowered, and responsible for his own position in the game. As such, it is absolute key to the success of Deus Ex' gameplay that you have meaningful, assymetric alternatives.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

DaveW wrote:I'm not even going to bother. It's like talking to a brick wall, except the brick wall is quoting me and not actually reading it.
Perhaps I could have argued my points a little clearer, but I feel you are not reading my posts properly too.
Aemer can take it from here, but I stand by what I said.
AEmer wrote:Excuse me, but what are you on about? In Deus Ex, you can sometimes either multitool, lockpick, break in with melee, break in with sniper, break in with minicrossbow, break in with explosives from your inventory, break in with explosives from the environment, hack, or discover a password, to gain entrance into something.

What choices are available to you depend on your build and the situation, but you nearly always have multiple options with multiple costs. You choose which resources to exhaust, or maybe you even leave it alone because you don't think it'll be worth it.

This is exactly the same thing. You have many resources that allow you to traverse a specific part of the level. Some require skill investment, other require augmentation investment, some require inventory items, some require exploration. If you want to cut the manners by which you can traverse a specific part of the level underwater because it adds needless complexity (what does that even mean? When is complexity meaningless and why is this complexity meaningless?), why would you not also want to cut the manners by which you can traverse any given doorway?.
This.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

AEmer wrote:
The rebreather is better than aqualung which is better than the swimming skill.
I've already argued why that's not necessarily the case, but I'll try again since you don't seem to address that part. Rebreathers require additional exploration and inventory room, and sometimes backtracking. For a veteran who knows exactly where all the rebreathers are and know how to houseclean their inventory, maybe you're right, but you're never designing the game for the veterans. Furthermore, you generally don't know whether or not rebreathers/backtracking is even viable when you make the investment, not to mention, you don't really know it as you're exploring.

From the perspective of a new player, as a result, you're wrong. One option is not strictly better than eachother.
For a start you're only talking about the rebreather, not the fact you still have redundancy with the aqualung and swimming skill. Even then I think I've explained why the re-breather is generally better:

a) There are very few bodies of water worth exploring
b) Most of them have re-breathers extremely close by (the collapsed Tonnochi road tunnel, for instance, has one in a crate at the start of the flooded area)
c) Re-breathers take up insignificant space in your inventory

At best - the aqualung and swimming skill are better than the rebreather if you want to explore every body of water. Even then, with two options open to you (aug/skill) - not counting the fact you could just get the regen aug to do the same thing - you're not forced to make a choice about your character.

AEmer wrote:
But the fact you can circumvent that choice very easily by just carrying a rebreather or the aqualung aug negates that choice.
Just argued that the premise for this is false, so if I'm right about that, this is by extension also false. And again, you could rebalance it.
I don't think you're right about that, but you're missing the wider point anyway which is that by having the three systems you are not forced to make a choice.

AEmer wrote:
Now, if the systems were balanced, for example if the rebreather took up a load of space (somehow), that would be better. But that would add needless complexity which makes you focus more on the system more than the choices.
Excuse me, but what are you on about? In Deus Ex, you can sometimes either multitool, lockpick, break in with melee, break in with sniper, break in with minicrossbow, break in with explosives from your inventory, break in with explosives from the environment, hack, or discover a password, to gain entrance into something.

This is exactly the same thing. You have many resources that allow you to traverse a specific part of the level. Some require skill investment, other require augmentation investment, some require inventory items, some require exploration. If you want to cut the manners by which you can traverse a specific part of the level underwater because it adds needless complexity (what does that even mean? When is complexity meaningless and why is this complexity meaningless?), why would you not also want to cut the manners by which you can traverse any given doorway?

I mean, look, swimming isn't an interesting skill, taking it has no side effects other than letting you traverse specific parts of a level, so at present it's a fairly _boring_ skill, and it might well be unbalanced in that the choice between taking it or not might be too simple. But dude, no, it's not broken in the fashion you depict it, and it's not anywhere near as fundamentally superflous as you seem to suggest. You're wrong about that.
I'm not sure how best to explain this, because I'm not sure if you're just not getting it or if you actually disagree. I think you're confusing the illusion of choice with real choice.

The choice here is "Do I want to make my character able to swim to otherwise inaccessible places?"

No method of doing that requires any significant sacrifice - I can just carry an item, so what? I can upgrade my swimming skill - it's cheap, and besides I could just use an Aug. I don't even have to use the aqualung, regen will do the same.

The choice is essential zero - I'm not having to make a real decision about my character. If I want to swim to inaccessible places I don't have to sacrifice anything worthwhile. Balancing it would mean:

I can carry an item - but it's going to stop me carrying some important items. I could upgrade my swimming skill, but I'm not sure about spending them on upgrading my weapons instead. Installing the aqualung aug stops me using another worthwhile aug.

But - you've just added a bunch of complexity that doesn't need to be there to address the fundamental, more interesting (I.e. it's to do with the character, not the game mechanics) "Do I want to make my character able to swim to otherwise inaccessible places?"

So:
AEmer wrote:
If you like that kind of game, fine, but that clearly wasn't concept behind Deus Ex.
Oh yes, yes it was. The concept was, the player needs to have many ways to do the same things in any given situation, and those ways will be available to him based on how he build his character and what items he picked up and where he explored, and they will have distinct costs associated with their use that are different from option to option.

There's an absolute truckload of overlapping systems letting you do the same basic things, but they each have different side effects and costs.

Also, just to make it clear, I wouldn't call it the concept behind the game, those are the words you used to make your point. I used the words in the context you used them to illustrate as firmly as I could that you're wrong about the point you were making. I would describe this behaviour not as the concept behind the game (which would clearly be something more abstract), but rather as a fundamental tool used to make the game what it is.
No - it really wasn't. Deus Ex was about choices, which is why in Invisible War they simplified the game systems significantly. You're basically arguing with the designer on what his core concept was:

'Okay - is making a plan about whether to shoot and which weapon to use, based on "How much Ammo do I have?" or "This weapon takes a .357 round and that one takes a 7.62 round and this one takes a... oh, who cares?" All the decisions we made on the design side of Invisible War, and on the tech side, were based on what is required to meet our core gameplay needs.'

Now, you can say that only applies to IW I guess. I'd say that what Warren wanted IW to be, he also wanted Deus Ex to be. That, and most of the design documents and interviews address choices - which you'll notice I'm repeating a lot because it's true. The game concept wasn't a mess of overlapping systems, that's the implementation. I'm saying the implementation of the concept is bad.

AEmer wrote:
Also wrong. Having multiple systems with multiple costs of entry and cost of use means that the player has to think about how to best apply his resources to solve any given problem. The LAW is the perfect illustration: A one-use gun that can take down a single target, but afterwards the gun is spent. If you generally don't use guns at all, and don't want to use skill points or room for heavy weapons, then it's a perfectly viable alternative. In this case, you solve the problem posed by one particular enemy by using your inventory space, rather than sneaking, hacking, or a general choice of heavy weapons or explosives.

And that's just it: The overlapping systems are really overlapping solutions, and what they present as to the player is dynamic situations. The fact that you have multiple ways of taking down heavy targets doesn't make the player fuss with character management, it makes the player feel empowered, and responsible for his own position in the game. As such, it is absolute key to the success of Deus Ex' gameplay that you have meaningful, assymetric alternatives.
First off, the LAW is completely irrelevant to this which makes me question whether you're understanding me before shouting out "wrong!" at everything I say. I've already said that balancing the sytem (such as making the rebreather take up more space) would solve one of the problems I'm highlighting, so I'm not sure why you're bringing it up as if I disagree?

Ignoring that, I'll direct you to my earlier comment that by reducing the cost and resources required to address the choice of being able to swim - the multiple systems remove that choice and enable someone to do basically anything they want. There's no reason to play "just stealth" or "just action" in Deus Ex when all the gameplay systems there are allow you to do both at the same time. If you instead have one system, choosing a stealth aug is a decision you have to make, because it means you can't get a hostile aug. In Deus Ex - fuck it, I can just get any combination I want and I don't feel I've had to make any meaningful choice about my character.

Since I don't know whether you understand what I'm getting at, here is my point(s):

1) The gameplay system as it is - with many systems overlapping without having any significant trade-offs, means that there are very few real choices to make about your character.

2) You could balance these systems to create trade-offs, so each decision has a consequence. Items that replace the need for an aug/skill are bigger, skills or augs are more effective than one another etc.

3) However by doing this you're creating more complexity that forces the player to focus on the way the game works rather than how they want to play it. You're drawing attention away from the larger, more interesting choices about your character. That wasn't the concept behind Deus Ex.
Last edited by DaveW on Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

The fact that there are so few water areas that require prolonged breathing is the problem, not the fact that there's multiple ways to do it. And I'm not sure I agree rebreathers take up insignificant space. In the same slot you could have a grenade or a pistol.

It's kind of the same with environmental skill and the various resistances for that: they are just underused in the game. And the fact that regeneration allows for their replacement.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Jaedar wrote:The fact that there are so few water areas that require prolonged breathing is the problem, not the fact that there's multiple ways to do it. And I'm not sure I agree rebreathers take up insignificant space. In the same slot you could have a grenade or a pistol.

It's kind of the same with environmental skill and the various resistances for that: they are just underused in the game. And the fact that regeneration allows for their replacement.
The water thing is just an example to my argument - it isn't the argument itself. Don't confuse the two.

That said, yes there are very few areas requiring prolonged breathing which is a problem. But the fact there's multiple ways to do it (and the way that is implemented) is also a problem.
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

I'm shouting wrong (...saying wrong...) specifically because I don't want to mince words.
I think your analysis of what the overlapping systems do to the game is flawed to the point where it makes your conclusions stemming from it incorrect. I don't harbor you any ill will, or mean any disrespect. It's a complicated problem, and I fully realize that my analysis is just about as likely to be wrong as yours.

But if I _am_ wrong, the only way I'm going to find out is by applying analysis of the problem to the best of my ability, and explaining the results. And here the results are in unambiguous conflict with what you're saying.
I don't feel supperior to you in this, and I'm not looking down on you. I just disagree and I really want to find out why I disagree, and whether my disagreement is reasonable or not, and the best way to do that is to be as honest as possible about what I think the issues are and where our oppinions differ.

I have a bigass reply stored, but I'm not going to put it up.

Instead, I will ask you to explain what you mean by "the concept behind" something - ask you to define what it means in the context you used it - and explain to me why it is important to this discussion, and how it has any bearing on a specifc game element or the modification of said element.