Watch Dogs announced

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

gamer0004
Illuminati

Re: Watch Dogs announced

Post by gamer0004 »

Oh I agree people are idiots for arguing about the (who cares about it anyway), but I do think it's better for the final product to have realistic unrealism than the other way around.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

AEmer, you're Illuminati scum! That shock 2 trailer was awesome!

...Well it aint got nothing on todays trailers, but if I saw that before release it would have made me instantly want the game, Drum n bass/hardstep over FPSing & a constant big sign flashing Unique RPG action in my face, awesome!

Anyway I give up, you overwhelm me with your wall of texts :)
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

yeah, unfortunately I seem to have more energy and time to waste on these internet arguments than other people. If I knew how to make my case with more brevity, I would.
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

gamer0004 wrote:Oh I agree people are idiots for arguing about the (who cares about it anyway), but I do think it's better for the final product to have realistic unrealism than the other way around.
And as I say, that's a fair position. I generally shy away from the word realism because of how nebulous the term is, but I understand the position.

It's the same reason you want childrens cartoons to simplify the subjects they deal with; the audience has more fun when they don't feel like their brains are melting.

I just feel that, for adult fiction fiction targeting adults, we are way too hard on entertainment actually asking us to invest ourselves, and way too easy on entertainment that is easy and simple and shallow.

Indeed, I find that the most rewarding thing about game of thrones is precisely that it doesn't dumb things down. The creators must've been completely away that the meaning of many important scenes would fly over the heads of an enormous amount of viewers, yet they chose to do those scenes exactly as they were designed in the book, only without the introspection that let most readers understand them.

In fact, the show has such high production quality that by now, if you think you spot a mistake, your go-to explanation should be that something is missing on purpose, or that there is something you don't understand because you didn't pick up on it, or weren't smart enough to understand it.

In other words, if you think something looks inauthentic, you're probably wrong in your presumptions about what would be authentic to the setting and story. Interestingly, if you did this as your goto reaction, that would sidestep the conversation about realistic unrealism vs. unrealistic realism completely.