That awkward moment your username has a different meaning

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

AgentOrange
UNATCO

That awkward moment your username has a different meaning

Post by AgentOrange »

Yeah, my first topic, yay.

Anyway, I decided to make this thread when, just after registering, username obviously being "AgentOrange", intended as a reference to the Malkavian Mod, I discovered that Agent Orange is also the name of something else. Something that instantly made me feel awkward for choosing this name.

So, yeah. Has this ever happened to you?
"Heh, a Throne Room! How pretentious can you get?" - Garret
bobby 55
Illuminati

Re: That awkward moment your username has a different meanin

Post by bobby 55 »

Well, I was asked once whether Bobby was short for Robyn (female). I wasn't that put out coz I do know a Robyn who gets Bobby from her friends. It did make me wonder momentarily if I was communicating in a manner that would give that person that impression. :P
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

well, I once discovered a spelling error in my chosen handle, 4 months after picking an email address and switching to it.

This was not a good day.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

I came up with mine when I was younger and it stuck. It's strange and sounds German. I wish I had cooler handle.
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I've never had any problems with my name.

Didn't choose it myself, either.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
shadowblade34
MJ12

Post by shadowblade34 »

I've never had a problem either. But I do get funny looks and such whever I tell my RL friends what it is. That doesn't happen on the internet cause everybody is so much cooler.
I just prefer to be called Shadow though
What the heck are you looking at my signature for?Read my blog
ZeroPresence
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by ZeroPresence »

Well, in a few circles of Deus Ex Communities I've had a habit of disappearing off the face of the earth... which kind of gives my name another meaning...

To anyone that is interested because I suppose it DOES have to do with TNM: my name originates from my play style in DXMP, I was pretty proficient at cloaking up and popping out in an obscure area of the maps for a quick kill shot with a sniper rifle.

All my leaves of absence have been necessary I swear! College was whooping my ass once, I left for Police Academy, followed by erhm... AGAIN for Police Academy and now I showed up again for the party a little late. But, I'm here!
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

I one picked the username as the spam-e-mail address, and then I started using it on websites for useless registrations, and then I kind of kept it.
I like to think of it as gamer-triple-o-four, but it still sucks.

Which is why I have now changed to hatseflats(ism). Which isn't all that great either. TL;DR: I suck at choosing nicknames.
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

My username is... a lot of things on the internet. I've found weird kids' gaming chairs, flooring material, neoprene fabric for gloves and wet suits and stuff, and some kind of Scandinavian dildo. Oh, and sound-damping eggs to put under audio equipment. And men's belts, I think. And an epoxy. And a rapper on MySpace. And some kind of system for cleaning medical equipment.
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

No stories about screwed up nicks,but a few about screwed up real names and places.

http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1378653

My favorite one is the Vietnamese student named Phuc Yu, which was probably normative there but still not a good name to have in the US. But you have to wonder why people would do such things to their kids, or want to be known as from some of those places.

But probably to go to computers, my favorite has to be Wang Computers and all the jokes that came about from that brand name on tshirts and other stuff.
Morpheus
X-51

Post by Morpheus »

I didn't come up with mine because of the Matrix movies, in fact...

After the first part of the Zodiac mod was released, I was playing it (I got the first part on a PC Game magazine DVD..not sure which game magazine though) and was thinking that I could do a Deus Ex mod myself and was thinking of a name for myself and the name of the mod that was like Zodiac but not quite, then for some reason "Morpheus" popped into my head. Then I joined DXEditing with that name. Back then I only had dial-up crappy internet so wasn't online much either so it never influenced how I thought up the name at all.

About the time I joined DXE, it wasn't long before The Matrix Reloaded was coming out in cinemas (A month or so before) and I had a VHS of the first Matrix movie but never watched it or seen the Matrix before (and didn't know anything about what it was or what characters were in it or anything). Since I wanted to see the second movie, I decided to watch the VHS of the first movie. It was then I saw that a character in the Matrix was called "Morpheus" and I was quite surprised that I came up with the same name for myself and that it wasn't just a random, made up name!

I was at High School at the time and my best friend then must have saw me logging into DXE on one of the school computers because he started calling me "Morpheus" over my real name (which was embarrassing in itself) and when people asked about the name they all thought it was because of the Matrix, but nope. And for two years I didn't see him since I went to college, but then I had to change college to do the courses I wanted, and he was taking a course there, and when he saw me he shouted "Hey Morpheus!" guess he never forgot. Have not seen him since I left college in 2009 though.

After recently googling Morpheus, was surprised to find out how many different things used the name (aside from the Matrix), from a P2P program made by StreamCast to the name of an alias of Dream (a character in the DC Comics' Vertigo comic), a lighting company, a company that makes watches, a recruiting company and more.

When I joined here, for convenience to those who were on DXE and here, I stuck with the name Morpheus.
My nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
My whistle/flute videos (and some other videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/DXMorpheus
Blues22475
Thug

Post by Blues22475 »

AEmer wrote:well, I once discovered a spelling error in my chosen handle, 4 months after picking an email address and switching to it.

This was not a good day.
I actually had the same thing happen to me. First name I ever picked was Forte Lambardi. Forte being Bass (in JPN) from the Megaman series and Lambardi. I had spelled "Lombardi" (inspired by Falco Lombardi). After awhile I just wound up sticking with it.