Music thread that may contain music

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

YeomanTheCastle
UNATCO

Re: Music thread that may contain music

Post by YeomanTheCastle »

I must say, the trailer for that new Muse album has the most generic piece of dubstep I have ever heard.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

The fact that they even made a Dubstep track shocked me. I dislike most Dubstep unfortunately. :mrgreen:
However, they recently released a new song that has been made song of the 2012 Olympics that sounded a bit more Muse like.
It's called Survival and I believe it will be on the new album: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68mw8AE9l_g
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

nerdenstein wrote:Out of curiosity Jonas; Have you listened to any of Corey Taylor's other work? I was never a fan of Slipknot but his other works have been pretty cool.
I have not. Feel free to throw a YouTube or Spotify link at me.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

nerdenstein wrote:I liked the newest Seether album actually. I preferred it to the older stuff. Bullet are a decidedly better band however.
Evanescence were only ever good during the first album. That was very Emo but I used to really like it. Not listened to it in ages.
I used to like some Lost Prophets but they got a bit samey. Their new album is pretty samey from what I've heard of it too.
Kidney Thieves are damn good to listen too; even if I did find them through DX:IW. :lol:
The newer Seether album was mostly soft rock, and I only ever liked the harder rock stuff they did on older albums - there were a few songs closer to that though (Master of Disaster / Effigy). If you're saying Bullet (for my valentine) are better, though, er - no.

Evanescence went a bit downhill after the first album, but there were a few decent songs on their 2nd album and the recent album has a few good songs on too. Ben Moody's new band We Are The Fallen also have a few good songs.
nerdenstein wrote:The fact that they even made a Dubstep track shocked me.
What do you expect from a band that makes songs for the Twilight series?
YeomanTheCastle
UNATCO

nerdenstein wrote:The fact that they even made a Dubstep track shocked me. I dislike most Dubstep unfortunately. :mrgreen:
However, they recently released a new song that has been made song of the 2012 Olympics that sounded a bit more Muse like.
It's called Survival and I believe it will be on the new album: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68mw8AE9l_g
I didn't like it too much, sounded too much like shit Queen in my opinion. Maybe it'll grow on me.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

nerdenstein wrote: I dislike most Dubstep unfortunately.
Same. How did Jungle/D&B "evolve" into that? There is the odd good track though.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

Nah, I've always preferred Bullet to Seether. A bit heavier sure but I find them easier to listen too. No idea why. :-s
However, Seether's cover of Careless Whisper will always be fantastic. :lol:

Yeah, The Open Door wasn't as consistent an album as Fallen. I haven't given their newest album (it's self titled isn't it?) enough of a listen to make judgement. Maybe I'll get it up on Youtube next chance I get.
Ben Moody has done some decent stuff since he left, his own released album was pretty good. I've only heard the single from We Are The Fallen that they released ages ago. Not heard or seen anything of them since.
This is a really mellowed song from Ben Moody but it's awesome song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKCccyZvtIo
True, but I thought the song they wrote for Twilight was pretty good too... :lol:
I just had to Google it; They've had a song featured on the soundtrack for all three Twilight films, they wrote a song for the third called Neutron Star Collision. That's the one I meant. It's a pretty good song; though it does reflect how Muse aren't really stretching the boundaries any more. (And no, making a Dubstep track doesn't count.)
I'd forgotten that Paramore and Linkin Park had songs featured on the soundtrack too. I enjoy their music too.
I didn't like it too much, sounded too much like shit Queen in my opinion. Maybe it'll grow on me.
A lot of their new tracks are very Queen influenced. Hell, pretty much the whole of The Resistance album was like it. I enjoyed it though.
Same. How did Jungle/D&B "evolve" into that? There is the odd good track though.
Not a fan of D&B or Jungle music either. My girlfriend and her Step Dad are big into Trance and Dance music however, again, something else I can't get into unless I am in the right atmosphere.
This is pretty much the only 'Dubstep' track I've heard that I've enjoyed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP50Ewh31E4
And the only way I know it is from the Internet Explorer 9 television advert. :lol:
Jonas wrote:
nerdenstein wrote:Out of curiosity Jonas; Have you listened to any of Corey Taylor's other work? I was never a fan of Slipknot but his other works have been pretty cool.
I have not. Feel free to throw a YouTube or Spotify link at me.
His other band called Stone Sour are pretty good. It's far less in your face and heavy as opposed to Slipknot and I prefer it that way. I really like this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEn-nTkbEM0
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

nerdenstein wrote:Nah, I've always preferred Bullet to Seether. A bit heavier sure but I find them easier to listen too. No idea why. :-s
However, Seether's cover of Careless Whisper will always be fantastic. :lol:

Yeah, The Open Door wasn't as consistent an album as Fallen. I haven't given their newest album (it's self titled isn't it?) enough of a listen to make judgement. Maybe I'll get it up on Youtube next chance I get.
Ben Moody has done some decent stuff since he left, his own released album was pretty good. I've only heard the single from We Are The Fallen that they released ages ago. Not heard or seen anything of them since.
This is a really mellowed song from Ben Moody but it's awesome song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKCccyZvtIo
I can't say I've listened to a huge amount of Bullet's songs, but what I've heard I didn't really like. But I liked Seether's cover of Careless Whisper.

And yes, the new Evanescence album is self-titled for some reason. 'Say You Will', 'Sick' and 'What You Want' are some decent songs from it.
nerdenstein wrote:
True, but I thought the song they wrote for Twilight was pretty good too... :lol:
I just had to Google it; They've had a song featured on the soundtrack for all three Twilight films, they wrote a song for the third called Neutron Star Collision. That's the one I meant. It's a pretty good song; though it does reflect how Muse aren't really stretching the boundaries any more. (And no, making a Dubstep track doesn't count.)
I'd forgotten that Paramore and Linkin Park had songs featured on the soundtrack too. I enjoy their music too.
I never got Muse's obsession with astronomy, it always seemed very pseudo-intellectual and try hard. Some of Paramore's music is ok but I can't bring myself to actually listen to them. And the less said about Linkin Park's recent stuff the better.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

nerdenstein wrote: Not a fan of D&B or Jungle music either. My girlfriend and her Step Dad are big into Trance and Dance music however, again, something else I can't get into unless I am in the right atmosphere.
Meh, I like all genres. Jungle/D&B my favourite though. Classical, Pop, hiphop, trance, techno, RnB, Rock, Metal, Reggae and the rest + all the sub-genres. However I am very fussy with which tracks I like from all these genres.

But I absolutely cannot stand most Modern pop & Dubstep. In pop they pretty much repeat the same lyrics over n over, and dubstep its bars of random distorted bass samples just thrown together & looping. Still even in modern pop n dubstep you get the odd gem. Abit like the modern vid game & film industry too really.

But I dont wanna go on about that again....So i'll give you this insanely awesome youtube vids:

Extreme Unicycling:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOLQtHl2Coc

unfair MMA fight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWxlZ52O0rI
YeomanTheCastle
UNATCO

I remember that MMA fight, funny shit! :lol:
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

As an aside, and on the topic of rock music, here's a song from a band I once made a (very crappy) music video for back in 2009!

They're starting to get a bit more recognition now which is good - considering all the crappy bands that get picked up for record deals in the UK, it takes the piss it's taken this long.
Morpheus
X-51

Post by Morpheus »

bobby 55 wrote:Florence and the Machine. I even watched an episode of Australia's got Talent to see a live performance.

This song is just superb: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMBTvuUlm98
I love Florence also!

I have an odd mix in music tastes. I like Owl City & Carly Rae Jepsen - Good Time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7HmzwI67ec at the moment but there isn't an artist at the moment that I always will like most if not all the music they do, with probably Stooshie and Shakira being exception. Also love Hayley Westenra's music and probably always will (Classical New Zealand singer: www.hayleywestenra.com) as I met two very good friends of mine by listening to her music and meeting them that way, plus find her music calming after a stressing day.

My music tastes vary (I don't really have any one genre of music I like more than others but I defiantly don't like Death/Heavy Metal, Grunge, Jungle and Dub Step). I do like:

Celtic (Traditional Irish and Scottish music), Classical, Jazz (not all types just some, same with classical), Easy Listening, Country (only some though, most I don't really like), some 80's style music, Fantasy, Bluegrass (sometimes, depends on what it is), various Japanese music from traditional to J-Rock (Been watching J-Melo for a long time, the show about Japanese music artists and music trends in Japan and even learned some Japanese language by listening to Japanese songs and trying to learn them) and possibly other styles I can't think of now.

Also quite like this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OquT42wQ ... ture=g-u-u
My nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
My whistle/flute videos (and some other videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/DXMorpheus
LeoBad
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by LeoBad »

The "Recently Played" playlist over here features the following artists:

-Two Steps From Hell
-Alexander Brandon
-Adelekan
-Aaron Copland
-Thomas Bergersen
-Mr. Mister
-Trevor Rabin
-Richard Page
-Tunde Jegede
-Steve Vai

...interspersed with a bunch of tracks I have been working on, but those don't count.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

I am a huge Two Steps From Hell fan. The stuff they did for games like Mass Effect was awesome.